21gm v 24gm & 7.5 v 8 shot

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeordieTrapper

I shoot 20g and would value members opinion on 21gm v 24gm loads and also any difference in using 7.5 or smaller but more numerous 8 shot, thanks for any advice or comments (I assume 12g or 20g guns would be no different)

I have used a lot of both in 12 and 20 bores. I also use 24 gram 12's for all of my shooting. I can honestly say that I have never noticed any difference between them all and that includes assorted brands too. I have seen some really distant clays smashed with 21 gram and cylinder barrels. Beginners often let clays get a long way away before pulling the trigger. It has certainly opened my eyes to tight chokes and heavy loads.

In pursuit of lower recoil I’ve done some fairly extensive tests with loads lower than 28g and came to the conclusion that “on average” you  give away between 2-4 clays when dropping from one to the other, shot size evaluations can be very very difficult to quantify with any kind of authority but logic says the smaller shot size of 8 makes a lot of sense since it patently retains enough energy to break edge on clays at silly range and is undeniably going to throw more pellets at the target. 

That’s not to say that open chokes and 21g won’t break long distance clays, just that at the end of the day if you do enough volume shooting then you can’t deny more pellets are going to make a difference. I’ve yet to see a competitive shooter use less than what they’re allowed.

I've got some eley ct20 in 24 gram fibre 7.5 and they are a good little cartridge for the money, kill well through 1/4 and minimal recoil. A lot of the 20 gauge stuff only seems to be l in 7.5, very few people seem to produce or stock 8's.

i assume your shooting for fun, if yes then you will require or notice little difference, Hull Pro Twenty fibre in either 21 or 24g are excellent and very soft to shoot

I'm non competitive and shoot 21gram for all clays unless I'm offered something heavier for cheaper. Occasionally when someone's run out and they use my 21gram they seem surprised how good they are.

I use 28gram or above for Pigeons but occasionally also use 21gram or 24gram, at closer ranges, I can't say I see much difference. I wouldn't try for pigeon at range with 21gram as I want a clean kill. 

I don't shoot game as I can't afford it so can't comment.

I’ve yet to see a competitive shooter use less than what they’re allowed.
Yeah, less really isn't more.  But just being out blastinating for the fun of it and being out for fame/fortune are different things.  For years I shot 24gm/8's for everything but comps and would still except I quit reloading and 24gm costs WAY more than anything else here so mostly 28gm but 32gm sometimes if that's all that's cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back