Shooting waistcoats

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeordieTrapper

Not sure where to put this, no forum for clothing. What do members find is the best waistcoat for competition shooting? Something light but padded for the summer, thanks

It’s all preference. Decide whether you actually mean a waistcoat or a skeet vest which is quite different and far better in summer. There are so many choices of look, feel and price that it’s personal. The only thing I would advise against is anything too thick where you mount the gun as you lose feel and consistency. Happy googling. 

You are right, what I want is a Skeet vest at a reasonable price, any recommendations welcome?

Try fleabay too. I picked up a brand new Browning Masters vest for under £40. I would suggest you look at the mesh variety and check if it has a pocket inside the shoulder that you shoot from, you can then add the recoil pad designed to fit into that pocket. I find that pad a godsend in hot weather when I am wearing just a T shirt..........................and YES I get some funny looks too  !  I think it must be something to do with using an auto  !     😯

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve had a Musto  summer skeet vest and a thick, waterproof and wind proof jacket for winter.  Both I’ve had for at least 15 years and still going strong.  I treated myself to a new Castellini skeet vest this year, on E bay from two reputable trap shooters shop, literally half price, and brilliant service.  You don’t want it too big or gappy under the arms, happy hunting. 

I like Musto gear but the only reason I bought one of their carbon Skeet vests was because I lucked into one on the sales rack of our fairly local Ashford Outlet, reduced from £80 odd quid to £24 and they had a 20% extra offer on that day, would have been rude not to. 🤓

Which just go's to show what a rip off these top names are with their prices in the first place  😉😄

I like Musto gear but the only reason I bought one of their carbon Skeet vests was because I lucked into one on the sales rack of our fairly local Ashford Outlet, reduced from £80 odd quid to £24 and they had a 20% extra offer on that day, would have been rude not to. 🤓
I never buy anything shooting wise at full price, I tend to buy summer stuff in the winter sales and winter stuff in the summer sales, I’m not that bothered if it’s last years colour!   I must admit all my gortex waterproof trousers and jackets are from golfing shops in sales and at a third of the price.  I’ve even brought from abroad cheaper than in the UK.  

I've bought all my musto gear from ebay at massively reduced rates, skeet vest new with tags for £40 instead of £120, £400 winter coat for under a quarter of the price and couldn't tell it had been worn. There are some bargains to be had!

I've had lotsa different brands here and the best I've come across are the Beretta branded products.  I've gotten mine all off ebay at great prices.  Actually I quite like most everything Beretta that I've had.

I have a Musto vest with a “Christmas panel” 😂 the zip has an extra 2” zip out zip (if that makes sense)  so I can wear it in summer over a thin shirt with panel out, then in winter I can put a jumper on and the panel makes its that much bigger.

its called a “Christmas panel” because with panel in it will still fit after Over eating at Christmas.

I have a Musto vest with a “Christmas panel” 😂 the zip has an extra 2” zip out zip (if that makes sense)  so I can wear it in summer over a thin shirt with panel out, then in winter I can put a jumper on and the panel makes its that much bigger.

its called a “Christmas panel” because with panel in it will still fit after Over eating at Christmas.
I have the same feature on my Musto vest. I didn’t know it was called that. I called it the Fat-f***er-flap

You are right, what I want is a Skeet vest at a reasonable price, any recommendations welcome?
Castellani make excellent vests not cheap but worth paying for in my opinion... on the other hand some people just want a couple of pockets to hold their cartridges in so you pay your money and make your choice I suppose.

Latest posts

Back