Northern shooting grounds. Your recommendations please

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lloyd

Having very recently lost my father to Covid 19, it’s made me think about the future and my family and how I spend my time (I work too much) when things eventually return to normality.

My eldest son and I have been musing about a road trip style holiday for a few years now and he’s suggested the Scottish costal 500 before.

My son has also been shooting with me a couple of times and he’s really enjoying it. I also enjoy shooting more  with him and shoot better when I’m relaxed.

Ive thought about combing the two, with some fishing (my sons first passion) thrown in to the mix. 

We’re planning to hire a classic car (Morgan 4/4, Healey 3000 or Jaguar E Type are our current list of favourites) and will be starting out near Preston in Lancashire. We plan to head north through the Lake District to Muncaster Castle, our ‘900 year old 30,000 acre family estate in Ravenglass’ (Pennington family in joke), then head up into Scotland along the coast to the Lagavulin distillery on the Isle of Islay, onwards to Fort William and an accent of Ben Nevis (I may regret this particular idea) before coming back down via Loch Lomond,  then east to Stirling Castle before heading Gleneagles for a couple of nights. Head south into Edinburgh to the castle and city, onwards  south to Bywell, City of York via Thimbleby, then back west to Kelbrook, Coniston or perhaps both.

So, apart from the above mentioned grounds, does anyone have any recommendations for shooting grounds to visit (or fishing) and has anyone got any accommodation recommendations too. We don’t mind anything from camping barns to five star hotels. 

Thanks in advance and stay healthy and safe.

Best regards 

Lloyd

Sad news indeed

Braidwood by Bisley is on your route in the borders south of Edinburgh -  guns on a campsite stored in a convertible might be a bit of an issue as would leaving unattended while you hike for the day so maybe look out for hotel with a gun safe

Sorry for your loss, I think that will be from everyone on here , road trip sounds like a great idea..excepting the ben nevis bit as I thought you wanted to enjoy the trip (ha!) . as a lad a docker said to me as I was working my crackers off, Lad the work will still be here when your not , it sunk in years and tears later.  Enjoy the trip when it s time comes. all the best

I'm at the other end of the country so can't advise on grounds, just wanted to offer my condolences. Sorry for your loss. 

Condolences on your loss Lloyd.

But I would pick something different to your choice of transport, although I understand why you may want a convertable for touring up there.

But something more secure for hiding you guns away, of even a temporary gun safe installed, would be better I would think, you want to have happy memories not the hassle of lost guns

Condolences on your loss Lloyd.

But I would pick something different to your choice of transport, although I understand why you may want a convertable for touring up there.

But something more secure for hiding you guns away, of even a temporary gun safe installed, would be better I would think, you want to have happy memories not the hassle of lost guns
I should have said, I probably wouldn’t take my own guns using a hire car. The car wouldn’t be for the whole journey as there is a mileage limits and I though I’d forward my guns to the first grounds via RFD transfer. The bit I haven’t really worked out is, how do I get my car to the changeover point. My girlfriend has suggested she meet me at Gleneagles with my car sons girlfriend for a couple of nights (she might have her own motives 🤔) and we start the shooting from there, she taking the hire car back and then a flight home while my son and I go onwards to Braidwood (thanks FT)  Bywell et.al.

Thank you all for your kind word and of course you input. I very much appreciate it

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of things Lloyd . 

1) don’t worry about transporting your guns . Just drop the hammers onto a couple of fired cartridges , disassemble the gun uncocked and carry the forend in a shoulder bag when you leave the car . A chocolate teapot has more functionality than a gun in that condition.

2) EJ Churchill have taken over the clay shooting on the Swinton Estate near Ripon . It’s in the right general direction , Thimbleby -Ripon- Otley -Skipton -  which leaves you a choice of which roundabout exit you take  for you final choice of Coniston or Kelbrook lodge . 

A couple of things Lloyd . 

1) don’t worry about transporting your guns . Just drop the hammers onto a couple of fired cartridges , disassemble the gun uncocked and carry the forend in a shoulder bag when you leave the car . A chocolate teapot has more functionality than a gun in that condition.

2) EJ Churchill have taken over the clay shooting on the Swinton Estate near Ripon . It’s in the right general direction , Thimbleby -Ripon- Otley -Skipton -  which leaves you a choice of which roundabout exit you take  for you final choice of Coniston or Kelbrook lodge . 
Thanks Martyn.

I quite fancy doing a simulated day with Thimbleby. I’ll have to enquire if they can tag a party of two onto another party, or maybe to meet up with some others for a day. 

I would always take my fore ends with me. My girlfriend has made me a pouch to keep them in. In my own car I have a Brattonsound VS1 safe, but will still take the fore ends with me.

I could get a couple of these gun slips with locking steel cables for the hire car situation between venues. https://www.napieruk.com/collections/shotgun-slips-flight-cases/products/protector-2-compton?variant=30277767004226

...thats a tricky one to do fella, it's all about slurring the letters apparently. 😉
Oops. I’ve made such an acc of myself 

On the way up from Preston there Crabtree clay shoot , just off J36 M6 ,wed and saturdays only , then just over the border into Scotland , Westlands near Annan every day . Thats it for places en route on way up . There is a good shoot at Dunkeld but this may be too far off course ? Heading back via Bisley then maybe North of England at York then Coniston and Kellbrook , Blackpool sporting also ? 

You'll need to plan your trip to pass Bywell on a shooting day otherwise you might only get to see the shop.

No useful input from my side of the Channel, but condoleances and a compliment for the idea of such a trip with your son. Something like that'll stay in your hearts, hope to treat my kid to something similar one day.  

Paint Mine Woods in Warton is about 45 minutes north of Preston and only 5 miles off the M6 - fibre wad only and open Thursday, Friday and Sunday (check the hours).  Very welcoming/friendly and a good shoot for £23 p/100 - free tea and coffee thrown in.  Well worth a visit.

Latest posts

Back