Contact lenses and eye dominance

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McTrucky

Hi all,

I have heard, but never tried myself, that some people have one contact lens prescribed for distance, and the other prescribed for reading.  This allows the wearer to both see at all distances.  I believe the brain accepts that, and it is a good compromise for some.  (The brain doesn't like it when you try similar with spectacles, but bi-focal lenses deal with that problem.)

I am wondering if having a long range lens in the aiming eye, and short range in the other would be a solution for those of us who have eye dominance challenges. 

Anyone tried this?

I've had contact lens but both for distance  ,  I have astigmatism  in both eyes  , I tried torric lens  but never felt comfortable  ,  so went back to glasses ,  your experiment might work ?  keep us posted !

It will be a while before I can try this due to current circumstances. 

I used to wear contacts all the time, but not for 10 years.  But never tried the near&far combination. 

I feel a trip to spec savers coming on.

Interesting one. 

You would naturally think it would. 

I have though had the experience of getting them the wrong way round (1.00) difference making me short sighted in my dominant eye and it made no difference to dominance. 

At the last outing before the lockdown a Top OT shot forgot to put a lens in the dominant eye other than it felt a bit odd and made the target fuzzy he still shot a good score.  So I guess it didn't affect dominance ro any great degree. 

Last edited by a moderator:
A decent optician will be able to advise you.

I have a left master eye and shoot left handed. I am right handed normally. I have always had an astigmatism in both eyes.

As a result of a head injury to my left side 25 years ago I now need glasses with a prism.

Occasionally when shooting I have/had eye dominance issues where my right eye tries to take over - it usually when I am tired.

I only wear contacts for sport (shooting, football, hockey). The contacts do not provide the prism I require on a daily basis and if I use them for anything longer than 10 or so hours and I can get headaches.

At my last appointment I discussed all of the above with my optician and she recommended a contact lenses for distance with a weight to correct the astigmatism in my left eye only. That cured the dominance issues.

I am not sure if she would have recommended that option if I was permanently wearing the contact lenses.

The only down side if that as I get older - on a days shoot - I am struggling to see my breakfast !!!

I have reading/distance contact lenses. The distance lens was put in my dominant eye. I can’t see (no pun intended) that reversing that would alter dominance.

I had Lasik 20 years ago on both eyes  to correct very bad vision (6.5 diopters nearsighted) and an astigmatism is both eyes. The ophthalmologist recommended "mono" vision (distance in one eye and close-up vision in the other) to have the best of both worlds, and it worked very well, aggressive at the time but it worked. Today I have to wear a contact lens (1.5)  in my distance eye due to the onset of cataracts (I'm 62) and now-a-days they won't do Lasik on people over 50. The missing link in all this is that I'm right handed and left eye dominate, the ophthalmologist didn't test for that and I had no clue at the time I was LED. And yes this seems to be an issue for me in shooting and learning to shoot with both eyes open with a shotgun. In pistol shooting it seems to not be an issue, I'm pretty accurate but thats at 10 to 15 yards. But in the beginning of my time shooting trap it's been a battle of sorts. Just my experience.

GV

Back