clay shooting and sunshine

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor Lecter

sunshine and clay shooting  a great combination ,  today under normal circumstances I would have been at east of England  shooting the lincs double rise  competition ,  I'm quite useless at trap type targets  but would still love a bash ,   where would you have been today  5-4-20    stay safe everyone , keep the guns oiled  !! 

Amazing easter weather down here as well... ah well roll on July- August ?? The sensible thing to do it to have a longer lockdown than shouting that's it back to normal again and then have the same thing happen all over again. I do not see shooting starting again for quite some time though.

While it’s nice to be out in it I find sunshine bad for shooting. It’s best in mid summer when the sun remains high but even then some course setters still don’t think about it. Plus clays can be odd looking when it’s very bright and the sky is blue, often appearing faster and smaller than they are. You can get part of a clay disappear with the shine.  Give me an overcast day and 16- 18 degrees, with no wind, for perfection. 

Last edited by a moderator:
While it’s nice to be out in it I find sunshine bad for shooting. It’s best in mid summer when the sun remains high but even then some course setters still don’t think about it. Plus clays can be odd looking when it’s very bright and the sky is blue, often appearing faster and smaller than they are. You can get part of a clay disappear with the shine.  Give me an overcast day and 16- 18 degrees, with no wind, for perfection. 
It strikes me that the above is the quintessential Englishman speaking. :lolu:    I suppose that having lived a life devoid of sunshine would twist a perspective.  Perhaps there has been even an evolutionary  adjustment to accommodate that in the population.  Over here, where the sun does shine, the winter months that are lacking produce in many people what is called Seasonal Affective Disorder - me included.  Fortunately it does not manifest in me as homicidal but I do find that my frustration tolerance falls markedly.

If you folks had lighted grounds you'd likely shoot magnificently at night!!

sunshine and clay shooting  a great combination ,  today under normal circumstances I would have been at east of England  shooting the lincs double rise  competition ,  I'm quite useless at trap type targets  but would still love a bash ,   where would you have been today  5-4-20    stay safe everyone , keep the guns oiled  !! 
I would have been at Hepworth shooting the master's. 

Back