Best Gun Grease & Oil

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any old grease is fine to protect the trunnions and forend knuckle but for convenience it's good to have it in a tube with a pointy nozzle. I use Schmierfix from Alan Rhone and a tube lasts me about 5 years. I use 3 in 1 oil for the ejectors but, as with any lube, only a drop or 2 is enough. On the very rare occasions I take the stock off and clean the action inners I also use 3 in 1 and apply it by the droplet to the pivot points using a cocktail stick.

Too much lube anywhere on a shotgun is a bad thing.

Try the Lucas range of lubricants off fleabay. The red Lucas gun oil lasts me around 5 years and their 'red tacky' grease has done around 10 years and will probably see me out. I got the grease gun tube size of the grease and I just put a small amount in a container kept with my gun cleaning kit. I use the oil on the ejectors and chokes and the grease on the hinge pin and knuckle. The oil is a 'sticky' type designed for use on machine guns, so works at high temps. and the grease is a marine product which seems to stay where it is put too. I use car engine oil on an impregnated cloth to wipe down the outside metalwork, I do not put oil down the barrels. My guns are cleaned once a week.

Philip's bore cleaner for in the barrels, liege for the action and outside of the gun, Napier grease on multichokes and forend knuckle, tetra grease on trunnions ejectors and latches.

How do you use the Philips bore cleaner, as a barrel cleaner and lubricant?
Just purely as a barrel cleaner as its reasonably aggressive and doesn't have any lubricating qualities, but I have been told by many shops it's the best bore cleaner about at the minute. Spray some in the barrels, 1 run through with a bronze to distribute, leave to soak 5 to 10 mins then re-bronze aggressively and then mop out with kitchen roll or barrel patches etc.

Once I've finished cleaning I spray a mop with liege oil and run through the barrels once to give a slight film of oil to stay in the barrels while in the cabinet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just use Moly grease on the trunnions and choke and Ballistol for everything else that's metal.  Slippery Dicks wax for the wood and job done. 

very occasionally I might use Bisley Bore cleaner followed by Ballistol.

Tetra gun to clean off old grease and gsr 

youngs for the bores(I was bought some so am using it)

schmierfix grease for trunnions.

ligier spray for barrels.

Beretta oil.

looking forward to having a good clean of the gun on my next day off.

As above

Tetra gun to clean off old grease and gsr 

youngs for the bores

schmierfix grease for trunnions.

ligier spray for barrels and genral wipe over for metal

Non silicone wood silk polish in a spray from Morrisons, spray on a cloth and wipe over the wood

Last edited by a moderator:
Browning Legia spray and a tub of Lucas Red n Tacky grease off fleabay for about £7 to lube the pivot points.

And GT85 for barrel cleaner IF it needs it. Use decent cartridges and cut the cleaning down to a minimum in the first place.

Latest posts

Back