Snap Caps... does anyone use these?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there are at least 2 long and painful threads on here somewhere that deal with this; PLEASE find them. 😄
I did a search @Will Hewland and found 32 results, only three actually (briefly) mentioned snap caps and the context leads me to believe snaps caps are either considered something of a humorous subject or controversial or maybe both.

I’m just curious as to what the range of views might be. I’ve heard different things from different people. Some claiming they protect firing pins. Some claiming they aren’t necessary. Some claim they help with at home dry fire exercises/pre-shot practice. Some say they’re dangerous even. Some ground don’t allow them on site.

Perhaps I should search on other terminology, but I don’t know what

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a search @Will Hewland and found 32 results, only three actually (briefly) mentioned snap caps and the context leads me to believe snaps caps are either considered something of a humorous subject or controversial or maybe both.

I’m just curious as to what the range of views might be. I’ve heard different things from different people. Some claiming they protect firing pins. Some claiming they aren’t necessary. Some claim they help with at home dry fire exercises/pre-shot practice. Some say they’re dangerous even. Some ground don’t allow them on site.

Perhaps I should search on other terminology, but I don’t know what
Apologies Lloyd... but it’s a bit subjective. Bottom line is nobody finds them very useful, others even dangerous (if you think they are in and they are cartridges).  No harm if used, possibly no benefit either these days is the general feeling. 

Thanks Will. It’s the mistaken identity that is of particular interest to me. I met a chap who took his right cheek off, believing he’d put snap caps in his gun whilst cleaning it. 
As you said, it’s debatable they’re needed to protect firing pins in modern guns built with modern materials and heat treatment.

On the other hand, I believe some people like to practice their pre shot, loading, mounting etc.

I had it in mind that if a snap cap had a flashing LED around what would otherwise be the primer, then there could be no mistaking (Debatable?) a snap cap for cartridge (or visa versa if you will)

I’ve been developing such a thing in some spare time, just a fun project for me more than anything. I have a workshop etc, so plan to make a pair or two just for my own use. I’m not even sure if use the myself actually as I don’t keep my gun at home. 

I have costed out for a 1000 off (500 pairs) just for interest and seems viable, but only at pocket money scale. I won’t be giving up my day job anytime soon that’s for sure

I for one would say that "They are dangerous" even  !    I banned them from the shooting ground that I ran, after seeing some horrific gun safety or NOT gun safety. I also have personal experience of TWO cases of a snap cap going er.............BANG and in both cases, they were inside the clubhouse. Only last year I was made aware of yet another snap cap going BANG and ruining a perfectly good gunslip (and probably a pair of trousers too !) thankfully outside the clubhouse. IF you MUST use them please leave them in your gun cabinet when you take the gun out. Just to make matters worse, all of the snap caps that went BANG had, dare I say...........LEAD shot in them too   !   😯  Now that was one occasion I can hand on heart and say, two people were harmed by taking in lead shot  !

I've used them in .22 Target rifle as you don't want to damage the firing pin, or worse the breech face. But in Target shooting the first thing taught is gun safety and it's always reinforced by everyone on and off the firing point, breech flags in or bolt out when not on the firing point.

I have two aluminum ones which look nothing like a proper shell, the plastic ones which mimick a real shell, their the ones that need banning imho

Well I'm surprised at these horror stories. Anyone who would have a gun, live shells and snappies all out at the same time and in the clubhouse should have their licence revoked.
I wholeheartedly agree with you, I personally would NOT allow guns in the clubhouse but that is another matter. Thankfully in the case of the 2 injured parties,. the hospital were obliged to notify the Police. This resulted in various statements being obtained and the person involved having his certificate revoked.  I have to say in his defence, it was due to a memory issue illness. i think the most terrifying experience is seeing people using empty cartridge cases as snap caps  WHY     ?

@ColinD having anything look like a cartridge that isn’t a cartridge is madness. 

@Westward Cannot disagree with you there. 

@westley Shocking! It’s unbelievable that it has happened at all let alone so often. I can see why they’re banned at many grounds. I looked at the chap who’d taken half his face of in disbelief. 

Im going to make a handful of the flashing LED snap caps, just for my own pleasure. I don’t think I’ll actually use them, but I’m curious to learn if such a device could ever be mistaken for a cartridge.

for what it’s worth, here’s a picture of my screen with the CAD model of what I’m thinking of. 

the window Surrounding the “primer” will flash on/off/on/off  at 1/2 second increments. 

DDBC73B2-36CC-45B9-973D-ABB99A93FF88.jpeg

the idea for this came about as a result of speaking to the aforementioned chap with the facial deformity. 

I figured if it flashes, it can be a cartridge. Therefore if it doesn’t flash, don’t use it.

@westley Empty cartridges makes no sense.  If it’s for the practice of pre shot routine to develop muscle memory, then they’re the wrong weight/balance. 
If it’s to protect the firing pins, the primer has already deformed and won’t help and it’s debatable if such protection is even necessary (on modern guns)

I do have snap caps, yes, BUT the only gun that I have EVER used them in is my old English S x S which comes out a couple of times a year during the game season. I use snap caps to relax the V springs during storage. As soon as that gun gets taken out of the cupboard, it is opened, the snap caps ejected and then they are placed in the bottom of the cupboard where they remain until the gun is returned.  I do not have a problem with people using snap caps, but leave them at home. I suspect that snap caps are the cause of far more negligent incidents than we ever hear about, if the truth be known.

Only use for checking ejector timing and trigger pull, thats all they are good for. 

I have a pair of snap caps, but as others have said they are used for dry firing at home only and are never left in the gun.  Essentially they are kept in my cleaning box in the man cave, come out when either me or the kids are doing some dry practice, once practice is over they are ejected, put away and the guns put in the safe empty.

Latest posts

Back