What will you do ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wynno

As the title suggests, what would you do IF all shooting was stopped for 4 weeks in all the shooting grounds that you normally frequent.

As some of the major shoots abroad are now off limits due to travel restrictions and or total lockdowns, do you think it wise to curtail your shooting. As for myself, I’m sorting out what cartridges I have and see what I need to order and hope that any halt will be of short duration 😷😷😷

As the title suggests, what would you do IF all shooting was stopped for 4 weeks in all the shooting grounds that you normally frequent.

As some of the major shoots abroad are now off limits due to travel restrictions and or total lockdowns, do you think it wise to curtail your shooting. As for myself, I’m sorting out what cartridges I have and see what I need to order and hope that any halt will be of short duration 😷😷😷
It won’t be. Weekly registered events will continue as normal save for those in isolation and providing numbers aren’t too large. I’m working on the assumption that all the major championships will be cancelled, particularly those that require selection events earlier in the year. Given that the French have binned their selection shoots over the next few weeks the European Championship in May will probably be the first big one to go. Beyond that, who knows? Hopefully as we move into summer things will improve. I’ve got several overseas competitions this year that are in doubt at the moment.

The CPSA are right to wait a while to see how this goes. Ultimately grounds and the governing bodies will be steered by government advice. Acting outside this will doubtless invalidate insurance cover. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope the grounds continue, which is what every business should do as far as practically possible. Take steps with sanitisation and crowding but carry on. If the whole country ceases all business activity we will soon have a much bigger problem than a tiny percentage of unfortunate deaths of those who were already ill. An economic catastrophe on an unprecedented scale for the entire population, mainly through fear of what may happen to less than 1% of us.

Obviously sensible self regulation is important. If you are a 70+ year old with asthma or similar, then you should stay away from lots of places, shooting grounds included.

Sensible measures all the way. Not panic and draconian measures.

I've not done many Reg comps this year so far (mainly due to the weather).  My husband is in the higher risk group (he had a heart attack a few years ago), so I doubt he's going to be going to anywhere where it is crowded.  We'll probably get out for practice at our local ground at times when it is relatively quiet.  I'll also be trying to minimise my exposure as a lot of the person-to-person transmission in China was within families isolated together in the same house, so I don't want to catch it and pass it on.  Our business is encouraging working from home and I'm planning on starting that from tomorrow.

I'm fast approaching 74 but neither I nor the OH have any ongoing medical conditions and neither of us is on prescription meds. Thanks to plenty of home grown produce and the gym, we're probably fitter and more healthy than most 50 year olds, therefore we intend to carry on pretty much as usual until the government makes it illegal to leave our property. Even if they do I can't see how it could be enforced.

Clay shooting has to be one of the lowest risk for person to person transmission that you can do.  For competitors, the only physical contact you need with anything you don't bring with you is the score card which is passed among all the scorers.  Other sports inevitably have multiple people touching balls, shuttlecocks, equipment, etc, but not shooting using your own equipment.  And it is done outdoors. 

It is less safe for any organisers who will have face to face contact with every one entering the comp, but this is true for every cash till operator in every shop.  

I hope we are largely unaffected, I hope that a risk assessment is done rather than a broadbrush policy followed, such as banning all sporting events (should that recommendation come).

Clay shooting has to be one of the lowest risk for person to person transmission that you can do.  For competitors, the only physical contact you need with anything you don't bring with you is the score card which is passed among all the scorers.  Other sports inevitably have multiple people touching balls, shuttlecocks, equipment, etc, but not shooting using your own equipment.  And it is done outdoors. 
Who has touched every others persons score cards as well as yours, then handed it back to you, not as low risk as you think then 😉

Well, that’s it. The government has advised against all but essential social contact and all unnecessary travel. That effectively puts pay to our selection shoots and all minor and major events for at least 3 months, possibly very much longer.

All our clubs are already closed! I suspect this pandemic will effect quite a lot of the major competitions in Europe this year. I reckon the French , Spanish,Italian and Solvenian UT GP's the UT Euros at Ychoux will go

All the national preselections have been shelved. It does not look good and believe me the UK has nowhere near reached the Zenith there is a lot of heartache to come I am afraid.

Let’s not forget how most of us pay for our Sunday shoots.....with cash. Lots of cross contamination possible here, that’s not an overreaction it’s a reality. 

We all need to be careful, responsible and follow the advice on the NHS website. 

Stay safe everyone, if we have to have a break it will still be there when all this has blown over. 

Let’s not forget how most of us pay for our Sunday shoots.....with cash. Lots of cross contamination possible here, that’s not an overreaction it’s a reality. 

We all need to be careful, responsible and follow the advice on the NHS website. 

Stay safe everyone, if we have to have a break it will still be there when all this has blown over. 
You are so right! People have to understand that we are no different to the Italians or the French or the Chinese we are all human beings. Things have not even started in the UK yet there are going to be many many deaths because of the effects of this virus. If people curb what is their normal routine and isolate themselves as much as is possible those numbers will be lowered but it is still going to be high unfortunately. I do not normally have a great respect for a lot of what we are told about these sorts of things but you cannot ignore more than 2500 deaths in Italy alone in less than a couple of months. France has just this evening entered a phase that almost amounts to martial law people have been ordered to stay at home or be punished by the law !

Well, that’s it. The government has advised against all but essential social contact and all unnecessary travel. That effectively puts pay to our selection shoots and all minor and major events for at least 3 months, possibly very much longer.
Next Sunday’s Welsh qualifier is cancelled, the first of many I think. As I originally asked what will you do instead ?

Netflix. 

Just had an e  mail from South Worcester shooting ground. In light of the PM' s announcement they are closed until further notice. How long ? Who knows .

Jasper. 

I had the same email from South Worcester, I also had a call from the ground of the welsh sporting qualifier this morning explaining and telling me they were closed until further notice but would keep me informed.

And how long it go's on, many may not be able the weather the storm, bills still need to be paid.

My company still expects me to go out to 10 peoples homes a day to repair appliances when the managers are advised to work from home.

I have a large garden and veg plot always stacks of work in there... going to be like the garden of Eden by the end of this crisis ... I would add a smiley but there is not much to smile about.
Yeah, same here - and an older house that always seems to need attention for something. Oh and I've just been informed that we've 3 rooms that "need" redecorating. I've got cabin fever already! 🤧

Back