410 cartridge reloading

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyd99

Hi folks,

Just after a bit of advice. My 10 year old daughter has now got the clay busting bug big time, and has been accompanying me to our local clay ground nearly every Saturday for the last couple of months. It's great as the wife can't say no any more if little un asks her if we can go 😂😂

I havent shot much myself in that time as I've been teaching her, and she's doing really well with her little 410 o/u. 

Trouble is, 410 shells as we all know are dearer than what I pay for my 12's per slab, so I'm looking to see if anyone can point me in the direction of where I could either go and fetch some, or online any particular site that do reasonably priced 2" 410 shell I can stock up with so she can bust the Clay's to her hearts content.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was starting to look into that. Could anyone recommend a good basic 410 reloading kit?

See if you can get a LeeLoadall in 410 ?

Initial expense will be a little high , but soon recouped when you have loaded for a week or two.

Hi folks,

Just after a bit of advice. My 10 year old daughter has now got the clay busting bug big time, and has been accompanying me to our local clay ground nearly every Saturday for the last couple of months. It's great as the wife can't say no any more if little un asks her if we can go 😂😂

I havent shot much myself in that time as I've been teaching her, and she's doing really well with her little 410 o/u. 

Trouble is, 410 shells as we all know are dearer than what I pay for my 12's per slab, so I'm looking to see if anyone can point me in the direction of where I could either go and fetch some, or online any particular site that do reasonably priced 2" 410 shell I can stock up with so she can bust the Clay's to her hearts content.
Andy are you on fb ?

Really good reloading group that i can add you on.

PS i dont think you can get the lee loadall in .410 cheapest way is using hand loading tools. There is a recent thread on the fb group for your exact questions. 

Pm me if you like

Andy are you on fb ?

Really good reloading group that i can add you on.

PS i dont think you can get the lee loadall in .410 cheapest way is using hand loading tools. There is a recent thread on the fb group for your exact questions. 

Pm me if you like
PM on the way, many thanks 👍👍

The simplest way to home load .410 is to buy new primed cases and close the case in the traditional way using an over shot card.

Then little tooling is required other than a spinner used in a small bench drill and a set of cheap digital scales to weigh the shot and powder.

lee do not make a press for .410 so to use once fired cases you would need to invest in an mec press. But .410 cases take a lot of abuse on firing so some will not be fit to reload and you are unlikely to find any in the shooting ground bins unlike 12ga. 

do your sums first ie price of cases, powder, wads, shot, etc as it will depend on availability it the area you live and then decide if the effort is worth the trouble.

However reloading for the .410 is very popular.

The simplest way to home load .410 is to buy new primed cases and close the case in the traditional way using an over shot card.

Then little tooling is required other than a spinner used in a small bench drill and a set of cheap digital scales to weigh the shot and powder.

lee do not make a press for .410 so to use once fired cases you would need to invest in an mec press. But .410 cases take a lot of abuse on firing so some will not be fit to reload and you are unlikely to find any in the shooting ground bins unlike 12ga. 

do your sums first ie price of cases, powder, wads, shot, etc as it will depend on availability it the area you live and then decide if the effort is worth the trouble.

However reloading for the .410 is very popular.
Yep, were you live is a big factor because unless you can collect it will cost a fortune to ship the components.

Very good point Sir 👍

Thank you , so it looks like a Mec then or hand reload and use either a roll turn over crimp or card and silicone sealant .Plenty of time to make a few thousand whilst in isolation.😊

the only way to make reloading cheap is to make youre own shot my dripper came from usa and has saved me lots of dosh and you also need a supply of cheap or free lead

Altho I never did .410's over the last 30+yrs I've reloaded tens of thousands of 12ga.  IMO the best of the machines to get for the average person is the MEC regardless of gauge.  There are a number of models but the basic operation is all the same.  The one I used was a Grabber and it was just fine.  That would be a primo machine for the casual shooter IMO tho lower line MECs would perform just as well at a reduced production rate.  

The only problem with .410 that I know of from conversations is that the small dia of the shot drop tube can sometimes suffer from shot bridging and plug up.

Back