Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JoostB

Browning 725 pro sport vs Miroku mk38

Recommended Posts

JoostB
Posted (edited)

Hi everyone,

I am not new to shooting, but I am fairly new to clay shooting. So far I have shot several models of browning. 525 hunters, sporter, 725 hunter,  sporter. I have also shot 3 different miroku trap guns. 
I am trying to decide now which gun I am going to buy for my first shot gun. None of the browning 525’s that I have shot fit me particularly well. I found them a bit harsh, didn’t like how they handled. The same for the 725 hunter. The 725 sporter was ok. Somehow the 3 different Miroku’s that I have shot handled all very good, and 2 of them fit me really nicely. They seemed to shoot all smoother in some way. 
 

Here in Holland there are not too many used fairly new miroku’ s on the market. Therefore, if I buy a Miroku, I would probably order a new Mk 38. No dealer that I know of around here has one in stock that I could hold or try. 
Then there is also the 725 pro sport. I haven’t been able to shoot one of those yet. 
 

Can anyone perhaps tell from their experience how these two guns compare? It would be very helpful in my decision process. 
 

thank you so much!
 

Edited by JoostB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FreeShot

725 Pro has a better trigger and is fully adjustable (stock, weight), 725 has 70mm chambers MK38 has 76mm ones, 725 has backbored barrels and DS chokes, while MK38 has Inv+ chokes, 725 has vented ribs, while 38 has solid ones. Everything else is subjective and you should try them both before you decide.

FWIW - I had MK70 and own a 725 ProTrap now and wouldn't switch back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luke_(NL)

Hi Joost,

Fellow Dutch shooter here. Where do you shoot? JST (Waalsdorp) keeps a few Miroku's as club guns, and several members lug around 725's. I got the chance to shoot a 725 pro sport that way when I was considering my options to buy.  For me the 725 Pro Sport doesn't really handle its weight well (or I don't handle it well enough) but they do come with all the bits that allow you to adjust and tinker with it. From memory, the Miroku's I've shot felt more nimble but the comparison is sort of moot given all the variables of barrel length, stock adjustments and co on.

Graziani (near Harderwijk) probably has a few used Miroku's on their shelves, and they also sell plenty Brownings which could give you the chance to swing about both in comparison. I did the same (after trying several guns from fellow shooters) and ended up with a Beretta 692, simply because it felt right from the get-go.        

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Doctor Lecter

have you considered the browning 525 sl    laminate  ?     its adj comb , trigger , and multi choked   plus you can swap pads  for length , they fit straight on !   with it being laminate its a bit heavier than the standard 525         check out Lloyd pattison reviews on youtube !        

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoostB
On 3/3/2020 at 1:25 PM, Doctor Lecter said:

have you considered the browning 525 sl    laminate  ?     its adj comb , trigger , and multi choked   plus you can swap pads  for length , they fit straight on !   with it being laminate its a bit heavier than the standard 525         check out Lloyd pattison reviews on youtube !        

I haven’t yet but will look into it. I have just watched his review on a mk70. It is a nice review. I couldn’t find one from him on the mk38 though. Is there a video where the mk38 is compared to brownings?

On 3/3/2020 at 11:24 AM, FreeShot said:

725 Pro has a better trigger and is fully adjustable (stock, weight), 725 has 70mm chambers MK38 has 76mm ones, 725 has backbored barrels and DS chokes, while MK38 has Inv+ chokes, 725 has vented ribs, while 38 has solid ones. Everything else is subjective and you should try them both before you decide.

FWIW - I had MK70 and own a 725 ProTrap now and wouldn't switch back.

Thnx for your reply. What is the advantage or disadvantage to longer or shorter chambers (sorry I am inexperienced still)?

I would love to be able to try them both, I just haven’t found a way yet. Does a mk38 handle and feel like the older 3800? Since I have shot 2 of those and know what they are like. I am quite sure I will be able to find a way to try a 725 pro sport. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoostB
On 3/3/2020 at 11:37 AM, Luke_(NL) said:

Hi Joost,

Fellow Dutch shooter here. Where do you shoot? JST (Waalsdorp) keeps a few Miroku's as club guns, and several members lug around 725's. I got the chance to shoot a 725 pro sport that way when I was considering my options to buy.  For me the 725 Pro Sport doesn't really handle its weight well (or I don't handle it well enough) but they do come with all the bits that allow you to adjust and tinker with it. From memory, the Miroku's I've shot felt more nimble but the comparison is sort of moot given all the variables of barrel length, stock adjustments and co on.

Graziani (near Harderwijk) probably has a few used Miroku's on their shelves, and they also sell plenty Brownings which could give you the chance to swing about both in comparison. I did the same (after trying several guns from fellow shooters) and ended up with a Beretta 692, simply because it felt right from the get-go.        

Hi! I am from south of Eindhoven. At our club we have an old Miroku (pretty sure it is a 3800). That is how I first learned that I really like it. 
I have been able to shoot some 725’s but not a pro sport yet. I prefer the 3800 over the 725’s that I have shot. I am sure I will be able to handle a pro sport in a gun shop. Not sure if I can get to shoot one though. 
I know Graziani from their adds in the Schietsport magazine. I have just looked at their website but (at least on my phone) didn’t see a section that said shotguns. 
 

I have been to Colenbrander recently. Shot one of their Miroku3800 club guns at their range (and liked it again). At a second occasion that I went there I shot a 9000 that was also quite nice. In their shop they didn’t stock any new miroku’s though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoostB
On 3/3/2020 at 11:37 AM, Luke_(NL) said:

Hi Joost,

Graziani (near Harderwijk) probably has a few used Miroku's on their shelves, and they also sell plenty Brownings which could give you the chance to swing about both in comparison. I did the same (after trying several guns from fellow shooters) and ended up with a Beretta 692, simply because it felt right from the get-go.        

Apparently there are two Graziani website. Wapenzaak.nl has some miroku’s listed. I may have to pay them a visit too when I get a chance. Thnx!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MartynB

When you say MK38 , do you mean MK38 sporter or MK 38 Trap gun ?  They are comply different in feel . 
 

Strangely, the MK38 trap is one of the best guns you could use for sporting .  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoostB

I think that the mk38 trap resembles the 3800 the most. I am just not sure if it is a problem for sporting that it has fixed Chokes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MartynB

Yes it is indeed the successor to the MK 3800 . I personally prefer the 38 trap to the 38 sporter . The grip is slimmer , the barrels are lighter . The choke issue is easily overcome by having Teague chokes fitted . Give Teague Precision  a call and ask them how to get a gun sent to them from Holland .

i shoot a 38 Trap gun Multi-choked by Teague , and fitted with a Kickeeze pad . my friend Shoots  a 725 super sport .  For me the 38 trap stock with its slim grip ( no palm swell ) puts my hand in a more comfortable position . 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
schmokinn
1 hour ago, MartynB said:

Yes it is indeed the successor to the MK 3800 . I personally prefer the 38 trap to the 38 sporter . The grip is slimmer , the barrels are lighter . The choke issue is easily overcome by having Teague chokes fitted . Give Teague Precision  a call and ask them how to get a gun sent to them from Holland .

i shoot a 38 Trap gun Multi-choked by Teague , and fitted with a Kickeeze pad . my friend Shoots  a 725 super sport .  For me the 38 trap stock with its slim grip ( no palm swell ) puts my hand in a more comfortable position . 

Alternatively just get your local gunsmith o take them out to 3/8 and 3/8 will break everything or 3/8 and 5/8 will break everything and saves the faffing about.

Agreed mk38 trap brilliant fo the money.

I have a grade one which i bought for an absolute bargain price with about 50 carts through it,an oddity by all accounts as apparently they never made them with a palm swell and adjustable comb.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FreeShot
13 hours ago, JoostB said:

Thnx for your reply. What is the advantage or disadvantage to longer or shorter chambers (sorry I am inexperienced still)?

76mm chambers are fine if you intend to use it for hunting as well since you can shoot 76mm hunting cartridges (or pay attention to use/buy only 70mm ones). If you intend to use it for clays only it doesn't matter - sport ammunition is all 70mm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Westward

I've tried both these guns and between them my choice would be the MK38. In my hands it just feels sharper and more responsive than the Pro Sport, but the truth is I'm not a fan of any of the Miroku built guns. By far my favourite out of all their guns is the Ultra XS Pro and it's around the same price as the Pro Sport.

It's the only one I'd consider if I had to have a Miroku built gun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luke_(NL)
On 3/5/2020 at 8:54 PM, JoostB said:

Apparently there are two Graziani website. Wapenzaak.nl has some miroku’s listed. I may have to pay them a visit too when I get a chance. Thnx!

That's the one. Also, Graziani (Harderwijk) is very close to Elspeet, home of geweermakerij Elspeet. They also carry a large selection of new and used shotguns. As it happens, one of their rep's was on the range at JST saturday showcasing a few guns to a prospective buyer, including a MK38. I think it was a used gun, and the trap version to boot. It may have sold already, but wouldn't hurt to inquire.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nick Selby
On 3/3/2020 at 9:23 AM, JoostB said:

Hi everyone,

I am not new to shooting, but I am fairly new to clay shooting. So far I have shot several models of browning. 525 hunters, sporter, 725 hunter,  sporter. I have also shot 3 different miroku trap guns. 
I am trying to decide now which gun I am going to buy for my first shot gun. None of the browning 525’s that I have shot fit me particularly well. I found them a bit harsh, didn’t like how they handled. The same for the 725 hunter. The 725 sporter was ok. Somehow the 3 different Miroku’s that I have shot handled all very good, and 2 of them fit me really nicely. They seemed to shoot all smoother in some way. 
 

Here in Holland there are not too many used fairly new miroku’ s on the market. Therefore, if I buy a Miroku, I would probably order a new Mk 38. No dealer that I know of around here has one in stock that I could hold or try. 
Then there is also the 725 pro sport. I haven’t been able to shoot one of those yet. 
 

Can anyone perhaps tell from their experience how these two guns compare? It would be very helpful in my decision process. 
 

thank you so much!
 

I started with a MK38 sporter grade I , moved to a 525, then onto a ProSport and now back with a MK38 but the trap version in Grade V. Reason for getting rid of the ProSport was that I had a number of misfires and also noticed rusting (pitting) on the action, despite being very careful about cleaning it and I don't shoot in the rain. When I had the ProSport I read of others with the same issues as I had with it and have since seen more comments of the same. I'm very happy with my MK38. It's tried and tested and so many people recommend as a very good entry\mid level gun. It punches well above its weight and is not stupid money.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ColinD

Purchased a 2yr old 725 prosport with none of the above problems so must have been lucky then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Finners

My input would be to go with the gun that you feel best about right now and try not to predict the future.

What I mean by that is, trying to account for every possibility at this point is pretty difficult. I believe as you settle into your shooting,  you'll develop a method/style that may (empasise may) change how you feel about your first clay gun, regardless of which one you choose now. 

From what you've said, it would appear that the MK38 is high up in your thinking, few would argue about that being a really good choice. 

So my advice would be to get a good used MK38, shoot with it and see how it goes. If you buy well, you'll not loose too much money if or when you decide swap to another gun.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoostB

My gut says mk38 at this point. The 3800’s I think were all trap guns. Would I be better of with the mk38 sporter or with the trap. I would mainly be shooting sporting clays for the next while I think. What are your guys’ thoughts on the version of mk38 to use for this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nick Selby
26 minutes ago, JoostB said:

My gut says mk38 at this point. The 3800’s I think were all trap guns. Would I be better of with the mk38 sporter or with the trap. I would mainly be shooting sporting clays for the next while I think. What are your guys’ thoughts on the version of mk38 to use for this?

I have an MK38 Trap but shoot sporting with it. Try both and see what you like\suits you best.

Trap (if unmodified) will have fixed chokes and Sporter will be multichoked. I don't like messing with chokes, so fixed suits me. Some will say the chokes are too tight in a Trap but to be honest, I don't think I hit any fewer clays with it than I did with my previous multichoked gun...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thommo52

I have an mk38 grade 5 trap ..I do really well with it . It shoots a little high which i'm used to. More importantly is which gun is right for you.. you need to try both a few times.. everyone is different. In my opinion they are both excellent guns as i've shot both when i was looking but the miroku for me suited me better.. 

 

 

Just one more thing. I don't know where you are geographically in Holland but my friend in Germany says miroku's are popular there. Maybe you could import or buy.. just something to look at. 

Go on you tube and look for lloyd Pattison .. he has his own chanel and gives great honest reviews. He gives reviews on 725 and the mk38.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luke_(NL)

Unfortunately getting a fun from Germany to the Netherlands is a hassle and then some, as a license to import a firearm is required. Shame really; while there are second hand guns on then  Dutch market, Germany has a lot more and prices are lots better in most cases.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...