George Digweeds World record 130YD teal at Bisley Live

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonSkeet2

Now this is an absolutely amazing achievement, I think if the trade stands had been further back George would have carried on :)   Here is the 130 Yard teal video: 

Cheers, Jon.

yeah it was and is achievement
banana_smiley_2.gif
 his last record was 118 yards so he's beaten that by a fair bit, as always The King Of Clay Shooting.Nige

After today, I reckon I could hit that with a catapault /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gifSeriously, superb shooting... and like the big fella was just having a stroll in the park.

Now will people believe my stories???? I guess Micky will come on and say it was a fluke!!!! At the end of the day this just shows that nobody should under estimate the killing power of a shotgun! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

GlenPresley said:

Now will people believe my stories???? /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif
Glen no one believes your stories mate  
Banane26.gif

funny.gif

Has noboby sen the trick shooting Biddy does with the Baloons???Anyway it was good to see it had been televised although when I heard about it it did not surprise me I am afraid! Did make me laugh when George said he has to allow for the shot to drop on the target to break it! Ha ha ha ha! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry but this does not prove Glen or anyone else is right about taking shots at live birds at excessive range, even using bigger loads than what we`re used to. It is FACT that as range increases beyond around 60 yards (even for the better shots) two things begin to suffer. Shooter ability to place the centre of the pattern on the bird, and the pattern / penetration itself.  There is no shortage of feats, titles, scores and wins to underline George Digweed being the greatest shooter of (moving anything), ever. BUT the hardest thing about that particular show would have been to organise the thing in the first place and as George himself says, to have the bonus of a warm day with no wind. I can easily believe he did indeed aim to drop the shot onto the clay. The exact same thing happens with slow moving heavy projectiles such as airguns and rimfires etc. There is no pattern to speak of at those sorts of ranges so I`m afraid luck, as well as skill is involved.

I agree with Hamster here - and would add that you make your own luck, and so to 'get the luck' you have to get the lead in the right place.I'm certain that George would admit there are going to be diminishing returns on success at that range, however - he aimed, pulled the trigger and the cosmic laws of physics came into alignment with whatever luck was created - and the clay broke.End of.By the way (as Hamster says) - I'm not a George worshipper (admirer yes) - but he's the only one who can put his medals down on the table and claim to the be the worlds best at the moment.

Hamster said:

Sorry but this does not prove Glen or anyone else is right about taking shots at live birds at excessive range, even using bigger loads than what we`re used to. It is FACT that as range increases beyond around 60 yards (even for the better shots) two things begin to suffer. Shooter ability to place the centre of the pattern on the bird, and the pattern / penetration itself.  There is no shortage of feats, titles, scores and wins to underline George Digweed being the greatest shooter of (moving anything), ever. BUT the hardest thing about that particular show would have been to organise the thing in the first place and as George himself says, to have the bonus of a warm day with no wind. I can easily believe he did indeed aim to drop the shot onto the clay. The exact same thing happens with slow moving heavy projectiles such as airguns and rimfires etc. There is no pattern to speak of at those sorts of ranges so I`m afraid luck, as well as skill is involved.
Ha ha ha ha classic drop shot onto the clay! Come on watch the video he is so precise and measures it off it is all about the timing here of the shot. I am just trying to visualise falling shot landing on the top of the clay and breaking it and that to me just sounds funny!!!! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif The posibbility still remains that if put in the right place a shot gun will kill at range! At extreme range consistenty is a factor of course the further you go but believe me he will have fired thousands of shells at a target like that and will no eactly what to do with it. Like I said before stand at 130 paces and let me fire off a 5 36gram I'm sure my pattern will not have diminished that much! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif Glen.

GlenPresley said:

Ha ha ha ha classic drop shot onto the clay! Come on watch the video he is so precise and measures it off it is all about the timing here of the shot. I am just trying to visualise falling shot landing on the top of the clay and breaking it and that to me just sounds funny!!!! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif
I didn't read this in that way - I'm assuming that there is a 'fall off' in trajectory at that range and so you need to adjust for that... is that not the case? (This is beyond my knowledge of shooting - I can't go past 30ft) 

God knows Matt I was thinking it was just funny I can't really see him dropping shot onto the clay because of the distance in order to break it? Really or is that just said to make it sound an even greater accomplishment? We need Henry to give us a run down he is the ballistic expert! Glen.

Would be interesting to see how quickly shot starts to drop off at???I would think it is further then people think only from my own personal experience for example when you are shooting  fitasc mostly with zthe long teal type crow targets how quick the shot seems to get to the clay nowadays! I remember way back when we shot at long stuff and the delays were noticable! I must say this does not seem to happen as much nowadays??? Just a thought! maybe the targets are a lot closer nowadays but i don't think so! Glen.

George`s actual words: you`ve got to drop the shot into the target /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif. I`m kind of surprised with Glen, I`d have thought ballistics realities like that would come naturally to him. I first picked up an airgun at the age of 9 and pretty much haven`t put them down since, and believe me if a .177 can drop 3 feet then so can tiny no. 5 shot regardless of how much faster it is driven to begin with. Now I`m not saying we should routinely allow for drop when shooting sporting clays, I know I never have, but at four times the distance of the longest clays we generally shoot, things would be on an entirely different spectrum. I have also never denied birds can be hit at 80+ yards, merely that lack of penetration through plumage would lead to the excercise being a triumph of bloodymindedness over sense.

can't some of you guys take something for what it is ???   you all saw it on film - many saw it live and yet some of you just simply can't accept that it was done without tryin to have your own spin on it !  you saw it - you heard George talkin between each shots, you heard him say he changed to Black Gold 5's at 90 yards you saw him continue to break the clay with one shot on most occasions but never did he miss with 2 shots Then when he broke it at 130 yards with ONE shot you heard what George said about the factors that contributed to this new record, the heat,the lack of wind and workin out the drop of the shot into the clay and he didn't even mention how much perceived lead he gave it too - is this all not evidence enough to be accepted as it was ? Did any of you hear George say luck was a part of what he did - NO !  the man has a talent many times more than a half a dozen shooters put together - he broke the clay at 130 yards because of many years of practice and because of his talent - Not because of luck ! Nigel

I think you`re misunderstanding me Nigel. Skill is what made George shoot a 117 x 120, 3 clear of 1200 others. Line up 1200 people and let them fire at that same bird 10 times each, I would bet VERY good money that the winner would be the one who fires at the right spot in the sky AND the luckiest on the day,  not George.

Hamster said:

George`s actual words: you`ve got to drop the shot into the target /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif. I`m kind of surprised with Glen, I`d have thought ballistics realities like that would come naturally to him. I first picked up an airgun at the age of 9 and pretty much haven`t put them down since, and believe me if a .177 can drop 3 feet then so can tiny no. 5 shot regardless of how much faster it is driven to begin with. Now I`m not saying we should routinely allow for drop when shooting sporting clays, I know I never have, but at four times the distance of the longest clays we generally shoot, things would be on an entirely different spectrum. I have also never denied birds can be hit at 80+ yards, merely that lack of penetration through plumage would lead to the excercise being a triumph of bloodymindedness over sense.
You really are a wind up sometimes and patronising. I thought it was funny how he said he drops it into it at 130 yrds? I was generally interested to know how much breaking power the shot will have, Having being peppered before at range I guess it still has quite a lot? Just interested! Your always telling me you can't kill at range so where is Henry???? Shame we can't see the target actually being broken! Can't anyone set up a slow mo with something like this to show what is actually happening out there in the air! Now that would be cool!!!I guess todays cartridges are so much faster than 30 years ago?? Maybe not??There is lots to be discussed here of interest.Where is Henry? He is the ballistic king would be good to get a person with facts and figures to tell us what the situation is and how he drops it into the target! Glen.

Nigel said:

can't some of you guys take something for what it is ???   you all saw it on film - many saw it live and yet some of you just simply can't accept that it was done without tryin to have your own spin on it !  you saw it - you heard George talkin between each shots, you heard him say he changed to Black Gold 5's at 90 yards you saw him continue to break the clay with one shot on most occasions but never did he miss with 2 shots Then when he broke it at 130 yards with ONE shot you heard what George said about the factors that contributed to this new record, the heat,the lack of wind and workin out the drop of the shot into the clay and he didn't even mention how much perceived lead he gave it too - is this all not evidence enough to be accepted as it was ? Did any of you hear George say luck was a part of what he did - NO !  the man has a talent many times more than a half a dozen shooters put together - he broke the clay at 130 yards because of many years of practice and because of his talent - Not because of luck ! Nigel We know you love him! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-kiss.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-kiss.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-kiss.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-kiss.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-kiss.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-kiss.gif

Back