What Bore For Mature Beginner

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malcolm Allsop

Forgive me if this is a hoary old subject but I have just returned to clay shooting after a gap of about 35 years at the age of 69. I've started to have lessons from a very experienced teacher who is pushing me into opting for a 20g when my certificate comes though. I am 5ft 10 and 15 stone and in good health. So what do folk think? Should I listen to his advice or not? All thoughts welcome and much appreciated.

I see no reason not to opt for a 12g. Gun and cartridge choice will allow for minimal felt recoil if required, unless you are extremely recoil sensitive.

Main advantage over 20g would be the greater choice of guns and cartridges available.

I'm sure more knowledgeable members can provide more/better info.

For what it's worth, my 70 y/o father in law (12 stone, max, and 5ft 8 ) has no difficulties with a light 12g SxS using 24g loads, or with my mk38 using 28g loads

Last edited by a moderator:
There is not a reason on earth to go for a 20b other than if you are so weak that you struggle to lift a 12b. And if that’s the case, shooting isn’t for you. (If you are considering game shooting then a light gun, perhaps a 20b, can be shouldered in a hurry a bit more easily, but I assume we are talking clay shooting).

There is a myth that a 20g is somehow easier to use. It isn’t. It’s harder to control due to the light weight and it will have MORE recoil than a 12b. If you really want a light gun there are plenty of light 12b around. And as has been said, 12b cartridge choice is way better and way cheaper. 

I concur 12 not 20 for me and I’m little - what William said.   I am interest in your coach’s reason for suggesting 20 for clays.  I’m sure there are people who love them but I can’t remember when I last saw a 20 out on a ground.

I concur 12 not 20 for me and I’m little - what William said.   I am interest in your coach’s reason for suggesting 20 for clays.  I’m sure there are people who love them but I can’t remember when I last saw a 20 out on a ground.
Got a friend that shoots one, but only because her instructor told her she should get one.  She's looking around for a 12 now...

Personally I think your instructor is talking out of his backside . What is a 12 gauge ? It’s a just barrel diameter that’s all .  I sometimes shoot a Miroku MK60 20g game gun , it weighs 7lbs , I only use that on our syndicate where I’ll walk 5 miles on shoot days . That’s the benefit of a twenty , carry a lot , shoot a little .

For clays and some other game shoots  I’ll use my 8 1/2 lb clay gun .  You’re not going to be carrying it except between stands ,  using like for like weight and velocity shells the 12 will shoot softer.  You’ll find a nice sporting 12g around 8lbs is probably all you’ll ever need . 

ps I’m only 5 years behind you  so if I can use one you can 😂

I have mobility and balance problems, I also struggle to lift my left arm above shoulder height.

Light guns wobble and for me are harder to use.

I shoot a 12g, Miroku MK38 sport, 30" barrels. Heavy by any standards. I have more control and am therefore a safer and better shot.

You must choose, first a gun you like, then make sure it's comfortable and fits you. 

20g cartridges are more expensive than 12g so for someone who shoots a lot, cost is relevant.

If its light loads you want look at 21gram loads. 

I shoot both 12 and 20 bores. My go to gun for clays is my Browning 725 in 12 bore weighing in at around 8 1/4 lbs., OR if my shoulder is giving me grief, then my Beretta 303 auto in 12 bore, which is around 7lbs.. My 12 bore choice of cartridge is 24 gram, make is irrelevant. For most of my game shooting and occasional clay shooting I have a Browning 20 bore weighing in at around 7lbs. As Will said, it is harder work, it's lighter weight is easier to stop and you have to work at the swing, even with 30" barrels. My advice is get a 12 bore, a far greater choice of cartridges and around £40/1000 cheaper too  I disagree with the 20 bore having greater recoil though, I restrict my cartridge loads to 28 grams or less. If I needed more than 28 gram of shot, I would use a 12 bore, stuffing 32 gram through a 20 bore, to me is a nonsense.

Forgot to say that I have instructed many 100's of beginners in the past 40 years or so, for corporate days with almost all none shooters. The sole purpose of the exercise was for them to hit at least a few clays. My choice of gun was always a Beretta field model auto, it would cycle 24 to 28 gram cartridges all day without a hitch and I am safe in saying not a single injury or bruising to any of them, Male or Female, young or old. they all came back for 'seconds'   !  

I have a few years on you Malcolm yet I have no problem at all with any conventional 12g sporter (including 9½lb Krieghoffs) and I agree with everyone above that a 12g is the right tool for the job. Most of the ladies I come across use normal weight 12s for clays, so I'd also be interested in what your instructor's reasoning is.

What I would suggest is to limit yourself to no more than 50 clays at a time until you're fully acclimatised and comfortable with the gun. 100 bird round can be fatiguing at first, mostly due IMO to recoil rather than gun weight and few things ruin your shooting ability more than fatigue.

My father switched to a 20bore in his 70s, and got on well with it.  I hated it.  It kicked harder than the 12 bore, and I really didn't see the point of it unless you had to carry it for miles.  But he loved it, after years of expensive guns, he was well taken with his 20 bore beretta, and maybe the psychology of that made him shoot better.

So as above, suggest you stick with the flexibility that a 12g gives you, but ask the coach for his/her reasoning, and discuss with him.  Don't just ignore what he tells you, kind of pointless having a coach if you do that, and he may feel that.

You should choose a gun that you feel comfortable with. Having said that, your Coach will (should) know everything that has been said above, plus will know why the 20b is being suggested for your personal circumstances.

Without knowing your specific needs, none of us will know why your Coach feels the 20b would be better. It therefore follows we can't really offer anything other than an opinion and some backgound advice ie: 12g shells are cheaper/more 12g guns available/most 20bs are lighter and therefore tend to kick harder with similar carts etc. 

So, as others have said, you need to establish exactly why your Coach is suggesting the 20b, use that advice along with the sage words here, and in the end make your own mind up. Having said that, reading the first few posts on this thread, I was also (like Westley) thinking 12b semi, unless of course you're thinking of game shooting 😂 

Whatever the outcome, good luck and shoot straight 🍻

Thanks again for all the advice. I’ve talked it through with my coach and will go for a 12 g. May opt for 28  inch barrels.

My mother in law took up shooting. She is 4'11, about 7.5st and 67yo. She had lessons with Carl Bloxham and he advised her to get a lightweight 12b, which she did. No obvious reason for you to get a 20b.

Thanks again for all the advice. I’ve talked it through with my coach and will go for a 12 g. May opt for 28  inch barrels.
28”? Do very much try a number of 12b guns in various barrel lengths, 28” is for most clay shooting both short & not very common, Ive a 30” & very much in a minority against 32” 

Malcolm, are you only shooting clays? Are you trying to win comps or have fun?

I’d suggest getting your coach to let you try as many guns as possible, you will know what suits you best, don’t rush into anything.

I have collected a whole load of various guns over the years and the last one I’d ever let go is my 20 bore, 30 inch poverty spec Beretta silver pigeon, kills clays and game as well as my 12 with 21g Hull pro 1 no 7.5 or 25g HullHighPheasant no5. I shoot this better than anything else, gunfit and speed of target acquisition beats  my other guns hands down.

Latest posts

Back