British shooting show this weekend

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McTrucky

Anyone going?

I am thinking about it, but can't help feel it will just be like going to a big shop.  Is there more to it than that?  Anyone been before?

I went for the first time last year.

I wanted to buy some glasses, a waterproof jacket, and anything else shiney and new that was on special......

I purchased nothing, because there weren’t any bargains. Everything was the same price as it is any other time of the year.

i tried to get a deal on my CPSA membership, but the deal they offered me by post was better than anything there.

i tried to get a good deal on clay shooting subscription, but again the renewal price offered via email was better.

Dont get me wrong, I had a lovely day, met up with a few people I knew, ate some really good pies, and had a couple of beers in the pub opposite. Happy days....

Am I going this year? No. 

I'm going . Need a chat with the gmk boys and gals about why the crappy  blue paint has come off my £7k gun. And what they are going to do about it. Wish me luck. 😁. Also tried a Cpsa discount. 😁😁😁😁. 25% off for new members last year. Sweet fa for loyal existing members. The man was not impressed. Try again this year......

No bargains . I get a better deal off my tame RFD. 

Nice to bump into pals and have chin wag away from the grounds. 😉

Like to see the game cooking theatre's etc. 

Maybe pop into Zizzi in resort world after. Wild boar  and venison on the menu. 👍

Jasper. 

Yep going tomorrow for a mooch, not expecting to spend anything much just going for a nice day out with a mate and no doubt will bump into others I know and haven't seen in a while.

Heading over there on Sunday with the family for a mooch.  The girls are looking for skeet vests so hopefully they find something there as local shops dont stock much for females

We'll. Just back from the show. Gmk says the gun may have to go back to Italy. It turns out it's enamel not blue paint😁. Could be gone for months and months and months. . But the man we spoke to was very good.

Cpsa . Renewed membership. Blagged some travel mugs . Again all very pleasant. Spoke to some folks.

Had a nice chat with some folks in the Airsoft practical area. Looks fun. Very pleasant people.

Got the lowdown on a few things 😉. Nice day. 

Jasper. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Whenever a show such as the BSS takes place, there are always a flurry of internet posts, not necessarily on this forum, saying the show was “rubbish” (also witnessed this phenomenon with both Fishing and Motorcycle shows)

I do wonder what some people expect from such shows. I have not been to the BSS however I have been to other shows, I can see from social media that nearly every popular gun manufacturer is there along with some of the best retailers in the country along with probably hundreds of guns. Just what is it that people expect from a show? For me, a show is somewhere for me to see items first hand, ask questions and seek advice. Or be a “tyre kicker” as the Motor industry calls it. All under one roof. 

I get the feeling many folk expect every item, including guns will be sold off cheaply because it is a show. Why they think that is a mystery to me. These shows are not cheap for the retailers to attend. In addition to the cost of a stand space, they have accommodation costs for staff etc, etc. It is merely a massive shop window.

Instead of people just saying they thought a show was “rubbish” I would truly love to hear exactly why they thought that and what they expected. For many I would suggest that they simply couldn’t give you an answer. 

I can understand anger and frustration if Parking, queues, food facilities are not good but putting those to one side, just what else do you expect from a shooting show?

Below is not an exhaustive list but:

• Were there loads of guns to touch, mount, ask questions about - Yes
  • Were there loads of clothes for you to touch, try on ( and then no doubt get on eBay and try to buy it cheaper) - Yes
  • Were there personnel from most of the bodies that represent Shooting present, such as CPSA - Yes
  • Were there accessories such as Hearing protection to look at and ask advice - Yes
I am baffled sometimes at some, and I emphasise, some, people’s expectations..... is it just me? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive visited the show today and Midlife has just about summed up my veiws on the subject.For me though having it all indoors in the off season at a place that you can get to by train makes it spot on.

Yes there are things going on behind the scenes making it not viable for some vendors to attend but for those that do or can go it gives them all the shooting press in one place and enough punters with internet followers to generate even more publicity .

And most importantly for us all is we can talk and catch up with people,and ,meet new people in a social environment .

Well I got £10 off some ear plugs, so that makes the show only £10 to get in, bargain 😁

Latest posts

Back