100 Reg Sporting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chipper

Should 100 Registered Sporting entry prices be reduced to try get more people interested back in the sport ??

I'm not sure whether it would bring people back into the sport - I'd welcome a reduction in price, of course - but I don't think it is where people actually start in the sport, I didn't - I shot strawbalers and then an establish SG for a while before I realised that I wanted to shoot registered shoots to test myself against others - the difference in cost didn't bother me as I could see the economics of adding more variety and better prize money into the pot.

So - maybe there should be some sort of discount for new 'registered' shooters - possibly three 'half price' birds only entries with every CPSA signup, that would pull more people into the CPSA and maybe get more people to shoot registered shoots?

Should 100 Registered Sporting entry prices be reduced to try get more people interested back in the sport ??
Tricky, as ground owners need to make a living. We would all drink more champagne if it were £5 a bottle, but champagne producers wouldn't be in business long.

Some ground owners do their bit, with cheap (or even free) entries for youngsters.

I personally think that the biggest barrier to more not taking up competitive shooting is not knowing about it! It is not naturally billed as something everybody should look at. I shot for 7 years (infrequently) before having a registered shoot explained / offerred to me..

CSC3

I took a new clay shooter to 100 Reg shoot at Nigel Harts SG, and they gave a big reduction to him to try as he has never shot clays only game so big thanks to them, he now competes most weekends, he probably wouldn't of tried it otherwise due to the initial cost, trouble is once ur hooked that's it :). Also free entry for kids with paying adult the grounds that do that need a big mention as that gets the younger generation into the sport, more should follow suit !

As many have said before.....this is not a cheap sport. Also people like ground owners have to earn a living otherwise we have no grounds to shoot at. Many of them already subsidise juniors and there is also the Clay Shooting magazine initiative.

Not sure how a reduced fee for new shooters would help and why should shooters who have been loyal to grounds for years not equally get a benefit....if you are thinking in those terms.

Nope .....the answer is .........if it is too expensive for you ........change sports.

We all save our dosh for our entertainment and therefore we all play sport as our individual pockets allow.

The way the sport is increased is by people having the passion for it..................and not people being given it on a plate.

Few value what is 'given' without much effort.......but everyone values what is worked hard for.

(In my humble opinion).

You here sport ministers going on about getting more people into any type of sport, a reduction in VAT or no VAT on all sporting consumables would be a start for all sports. It would bring the price of cartridges/clays down in price to start with.

A number of years ago, Holmfirth shooting ground used to run 50 bird reg shoots. Skeet or DTL in the morning and sporting in the afternoon. These shoots were very very well attended because they were well run, well priced and totally entertaining. 50 bird events, I think would be the best way to get more people shooting reg shoots. It worked then, it should work now.

Phil

As many have said before.....this is not a cheap sport. Also people like ground owners have to earn a living otherwise we have no grounds to shoot at. Many of them already subsidise juniors and there is also the Clay Shooting magazine initiative.

Not sure how a reduced fee for new shooters would help and why should shooters who have been loyal to grounds for years not equally get a benefit....if you are thinking in those terms.

Nope .....the answer is .........if it is too expensive for you ........change sports.

We all save our dosh for our entertainment and therefore we all play sport as our individual pockets allow.

The way the sport is increased is by people having the passion for it..................and not people being given it on a plate.

Few value what is 'given' without much effort.......but everyone values what is worked hard for.

(In my humble opinion).
Totally agree.

CSC3

A number of years ago, Holmfirth shooting ground used to run 50 bird reg shoots. Skeet or DTL in the morning and sporting in the afternoon. These shoots were very very well attended because they were well run, well priced and totally entertaining. 50 bird events, I think would be the best way to get more people shooting reg shoots. It worked then, it should work now.

Phil
Ah Holmfirth..........my old club.......many a Wednesday spent there shooting skeet and DTL and ABT..............................

Now no longer in existence !!

Pay and play ......or go and take up archery at £2 a session.

As for cartridge prices.............just watch that hike when lead is banned........

So all those who are worried about 'our' sport...........hope you have been on the other thread and emailed your MEP.

730 members on here and only 16 have done it up to now :D

And 'that' people is why we are not going anywhere.....because the people already involved in the sport cannot be arsed to save it.

It was the same with the 10 Downing St petition to get the Olympics shooting a lasting legacy........a really pathetic response from shooters........so too late to moan now :D :D

Apathy is our killer........ cure that and you will see more in the sport and more who enjoy the sport :D :cool:

Last edited:
There are people out there who would like to shoot registered but simply cannot afford to regularly do it, as the cost is a big leap from practice / club stuff.

As for the ground owner needs to make money etc, that seems to me just utter pants. prices have been creeping up and numbers have dwindled away, ground owner then puts rates up again to up his income, more dwindle away, the process keeps getting repeated.

Perhaps im dumb but surely attracting more shooters with a lower entry fee is the way to go.

A shoot needs a certain amount of shooters thru the door to cover the costs of refs, clays, insurance, ground rent, etc, etc. once that number is hit then every other shooter that enters is profit minus the cost of clays.

100 entries at £32 (BO/ £37 comp) = £3200

Adding a pound to entries makes him an extra £100 (£3300)

Leaving the price the same but having 4 extra shooters turn up makes him more than £100

If the cost was £27 (for birds only/ £32 comp) then 120 shooters would bring him £3240

So a £5 per entry reduction you would need roughly 20 extra shooters to put you back to the same sort of figures, get more than 20 shooters and your quids in.

Id be fairly confident that you would be able to pick up more entries by making the entry cost cheaper, maybe someone needs to advertise a cheap shoot and then trial it!

Emmsy, thats a good post. Its just having the balls to try it for smaller places. I have had long conversations with A1, whose reg comp sporting is £42 I think. 18 to 25 entries usually. They complain about low entries, but I said, `well don't make your loyal regulars fund the shortfall.` They seem too scared to put on a bigger event, with scorers on stands, because as you say, the first (60) shooters are needed to break even; then suddenly the profit rolls in. This is why Steve Lovatt is able to do a good job; he has the volume through to allow him to invest in his business -and make it worthwhile for him personally. Because the shoots are good, the volume continues. Its a circle.

I think we should try and keep this away from 'ground bashing' - and focus on what practical things could be done to bring more people into the sport. Agree that it is not a cheap sport, and people have to pay to play, but I think everyone is in agreement that we'd like to see more people in the sport, so ideas that are MUTUALLY beneficial to Shooters AND Ground Owners etc are surely the best ones?

There are people out there who would like to shoot registered but simply cannot afford to regularly do it, as the cost is a big leap from practice / club stuff.

As for the ground owner needs to make money etc, that seems to me just utter pants. prices have been creeping up and numbers have dwindled away, ground owner then puts rates up again to up his income, more dwindle away, the process keeps getting repeated.

Perhaps im dumb but surely attracting more shooters with a lower entry fee is the way to go.

A shoot needs a certain amount of shooters thru the door to cover the costs of refs, clays, insurance, ground rent, etc, etc. once that number is hit then every other shooter that enters is profit minus the cost of clays.

100 entries at £32 (BO/ £37 comp) = £3200

Adding a pound to entries makes him an extra £100 (£3300)

Leaving the price the same but having 4 extra shooters turn up makes him more than £100

If the cost was £27 (for birds only/ £32 comp) then 120 shooters would bring him £3240

So a £5 per entry reduction you would need roughly 20 extra shooters to put you back to the same sort of figures, get more than 20 shooters and your quids in.

Id be fairly confident that you would be able to pick up more entries by making the entry cost cheaper, maybe someone needs to advertise a cheap shoot and then trial it!
Steve Lovatt puts a comp shoot on at windrush for £30, the numbers seem to be significantly lower than his other shoots at weston and westfield which have a higher entry fee, all three shoots being to steve's high standard.

Windrush is usually on a saturday so is it just entry fees or is it the amount of spare time people have as well.

On this lower pricing does not stand up although we would all love lower costs.

I think we should try and keep this away from 'ground bashing' - and focus on what practical things could be done to bring more people into the sport. Agree that it is not a cheap sport, and people have to pay to play, but I think everyone is in agreement that we'd like to see more people in the sport, so ideas that are MUTUALLY beneficial to Shooters AND Ground Owners etc are surely the best ones?
i think somewhat you are missing the point.

there are loads of shooters about, that are in there 20s/30s that are on the club shooting scene but not doing registered. look at the average age of the REGULAR reg sporting shooter i bet its probably 50-55 and these are the people who have the most disposable income, look at fitasc and its probably even higher. its the younger generation that need to help to get into the registered shooting, not so much the juniors because a lot shoot as a junior then pack in once they are out of juniors. it needs to be more appealing to the masses and in my opinion that means it needs to be cheaper.

Steve Lovatt puts a comp shoot on at windrush for £30, the numbers seem to be significantly lower than his other shoots at weston and westfield which have a higher entry fee, all three shoots being to steve's high standard.

Windrush is usually on a saturday so is it just entry fees or is it the amount of spare time people have as well.

On this lower pricing does not stand up although we would all love lower costs.
probably more likely the fact its a saturday, i cant say ive ever seen a big turn out on a saturday shoot anywhere ofr a long long time.

the only way to tell would be to advertise a cheap shoot on a sunday at westfield and see what entries come along, i bet they could afford to try out 1 cheap shoot a month and see how it progresses.

i think somewhat you are missing the point.

there are loads of shooters about, that are in there 20s/30s that are on the club shooting scene but not doing registered. look at the average age of the REGULAR reg sporting shooter i bet its probably 50-55 and these are the people who have the most disposable income, look at fitasc and its probably even higher. its the younger generation that need to help to get into the registered shooting, not so much the juniors because a lot shoot as a junior then pack in once they are out of juniors. it needs to be more appealing to the masses and in my opinion that means it needs to be cheaper.
Windrush is a registered shoot for £30 with prize money

If I ran a shoot, I would certainly be aiming for 120-150 entries. That is probably the `sweet-spot` as it is high enough to be profitable and low enough to avoid logistical difficulties. Certainly, reducing the price a bit to get that amount of entries should work, although the `lines on that graph` will cross at some point..

CSC3

Latest posts

Back