Shooting school with good shop in Yorkshire (or close)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hactar

Hi All,

I will shortly be looking for my first gun having done a bit of shooting. I am looking for a clay school with shop so I can test out guns before I buy.

Can anyone recommend a good one in or around Yorkshire?

Park Lodge , Coniston , and for the purpose of the exercise , Kelbrook,  even though it is a few yards over the border into Lancs . Kelbrook also has a good selection of rental guns if you already have your certificate . 

I just realised I didn't mention something...

I'd like a shop with a selection of second hand guns as I'd rather spend an equivalent budget on a second hand Beretta or Browning than a new ATA or Yildiz. Not sure if this make a diference you the recommendations.

All of the above will certainly have used guns . You could  visit Kelbrook and Coniston on the same trip . Also the Skipton Gun Room is near both and worth a look as it’s very well stocked with all sorts of shooting gear . 

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Martyn about Park Lodge, can't comment on the others as I've yet to visit, no doubt he's right.

It depends on where you are in Yorkshire and how far you want to travel. Where I live in Sheffield it's as close to Doveridge as it is to Skipton so all things relevant. 

I can recommend an excellent gun shop with a huge range of second hand guns near me, but he has no grounds, so would normally lend you the gun to try for a few days.

I agree with Martyn about Park Lodge, can't comment on the others as I've yet to visit, no doubt he's right.

It depends on where you are in Yorkshire and how far you want to travel. Where I live in Sheffield it's as close to Doveridge as it is to Skipton so all things relevant. 

I can recommend an excellent gun shop with a huge range of second hand guns near me, but he has no grounds, so would normally lend you the gun to try for a few days.
True , Centrepin . I’ve bought a gun a Doveridge myself . One great advantage there is that they have a gunsmith on the premises who can carry out any stock mods needed 👍

I'm in Leeds so Doveridge is a couple of hours away. May be worth the trip though if it comes recommended.

I wouldn’t  rush , visit a few , have a look and  see what’s on offer in your budget . You can always check what’s available within your area using the GunTrader site and filtering to suit . 

There is no rush, I'm only posting my certificate application today so I'm 12 weeks from being able to purchase anything. Could get a deposit on something though if its a good fit.

Don’t Do it ! 😂  I understand your enthusiasm but ... 

There are so many guns about that if you put a deposit on one , something better will come along .  Go window shopping , go round the shooting schools .If you can go midweek you’ll get loads of time from the staff .  Go to the NEC shooting show in February and have a look at everything under one roof . Even if you are not shooting them you can  handle everything on the market   . There  is also the big shooting show at Harrogate on the 9th May  , which should be just the time you get your certificate. There  will be loads of used guns for sale , clay ranges , have a go etc .. 

PS West Yorks  firearms enquiry officers are decent pragmatic blokes to deal with so you won’t be getting any shocks 👍

Which shop is that?
Browns Lock Stock and Barrel 

224 Holme Lane

Sheffield 

S6 4JZ

0114 234 6222

As far as I know, he is also the cheapest for ammo by the box or bulk anywhere within any driving distance. He only supplies fibrewad at 28g and below but still cheaper than plaswad.

I'll echo everything Matyn said. I only shoot at Park Lodge on his recommendation.

Don't buy till you get your ticket, then get some lead in the air through several guns before you part with the hard earned. 

Go to some shoots on a Sunday morning, some grounds will allow you to borrow a gun for a 50/100 bird shoot either free or very cheap. You will be required to shoot under supervision of a licence holder. 

Don’t Do it ! 😂  I understand your enthusiasm but ... 

There are so many guns about that if you put a deposit on one , something better will come along .  Go window shopping , go round the shooting schools .If you can go midweek you’ll get loads of time from the staff .  Go to the NEC shooting show in February and have a look at everything under one roof . Even if you are not shooting them you can  handle everything on the market   . There  is also the big shooting show at Harrogate on the 9th May  , which should be just the time you get your certificate. There  will be loads of used guns for sale , clay ranges , have a go etc .. 

PS West Yorks  firearms enquiry officers are decent pragmatic blokes to deal with so you won’t be getting any shocks 👍
I am actually off to the NEC on the 16th, and Harrogate on probably both days! Been to harrogate the last two years but this year I'm hoping my certificate will be through. The application is sealed in an envelope ready to post tomorrow.

TRY as many different guns as you can, from this you could make a 'short list'.  Then narrow that down to a specific make or model and search for that. It is very often worth a day trip to look at a  particular gun at the RIGHT price. Not too far over the border and close to the M6 is Malmo guns. Excellent people to deal with and a couple of traps at the rear, to try any USED gun.

Latest posts

Back