828U Sport...circa 10k carts later

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosmicblue

Archived 828U Sport thread

So maybe nearer 10,000 shells down the tubes and an intermittent problem has appeared when the gun is warm - the bottom barrel fails to fire, all I hear is that faintest of clicks - rather than the typical sound of a triggered firing pin,  the primer of the shell is untouched (have eliminated low primers, changed brand of shell to no avail), when cool it's back to firing every time.

Shame - I really miss the gun - now returned to GMK for a warranty repair....I'll keep you lot posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really surprised no one has answered your post. I hung off from making a suggestion this morning as I thought the more experienced shooters would have jumped in.

I state clearly and upfront, I have no experience of your model of gun.

It is though a common occurrence in many guns.

Does it do it vice versa, when you use the barrel selector? 

Methinks the pin or pins maybe carboned up. This involves little more than a proper clean and the carbon deposits removing. A gentleman who posts on here was recently telling me he did his with very fine wet and dry. I've just done a pair with a softish almost worn out 5.56 bore brush(any non damaging brush capable of carbon removal will do). The reason it happens warm is because of the hot wet carbon gas, which causes the tiniest of expansions.

No worries if it's under warranty,  let them fix it. They'll likely change the pins if it's that.

I doubt it will be under warranty if it's as you say carbon build up

Sounds like the little gizmo that moves across to trip the hammer for the bottom barrel expanding when warm. In order to minimise trigger take up slack, the clearance needs to be as small as possible and it may just be a bit too small. Then again there could be something else hampering it's movement. Have you dropped out the trigger group for a look see?

Thanks Westward - I must admit I resisted the temptation to meddle with it so didn't drop the trigger group out to look.   

Update - spoke to GMK today and they said a 'breech block spring was found to be defective, has been replaced and the gun is on it's way back', shall have to find an exploded diagram of the action and figure out what that is...

Archived 828U Sport thread

So maybe nearer 10,000 shells down the tubes and an intermittent problem has appeared when the gun is warm - the bottom barrel fails to fire, all I hear is that faintest of clicks - rather than the typical sound of a triggered firing pin,  the primer of the shell is untouched (have eliminated low primers, changed brand of shell to no avail), when cool it's back to firing every time.

Shame - I really miss the gun - now returned to GMK for a warranty repair....I'll keep you lot posted.
Iv had this same problem when quickly moving through stands and rapid firing on a quick stand.  

iv just slowed my routine down to compensate this issue. 

did consider that i was not pulling the trigger hard enough? or closing the gun with enough force to re-cock it.

would love to see the exploded defective part. 

thanks for posting

So got the gun back yesterday - will try it tomorrow...the offending item was in a plastic bag in the gun case:

20200130-144720.jpg

The spring is tiny, maybe 15mm long.

Its probably behind what Benelli are calling the Lock Plate in the sales blurb...a floating plate that forms the back face of the chambers when the gun is closed:

Breech-block-lock-plate.jpg

So got the gun back yesterday - will try it tomorrow...the offending item was in a plastic bag in the gun case:

The spring is tiny, maybe 15mm long.

Its probably behind what Benelli are calling the Lock Plate in the sales blurb...a floating plate that forms the back face of the chambers when the gun is closed:

Looks like that could do with a shaft added inside the coils to support it if that can happen! 

Agreed - it's a tad worrying because springs tend to only deform like that when overly compressed unless it's a case of poor/unsuitable material.  Put 100 shells down the tubes this morning and it worked flawlessly.

I'd hazard a guess they actually meant the inertia block spring.
No, they are correct. The whole of the breech face slides back and forth on this gun so I would suggest that it is THAT spring which has been replaced. Remember the 828u is unlike any conventional gun and therefore a nightmare should it go wrong. Have a look at the test video on You Tube, I have never seen a gun move so far backwards when fired, this is partly due to the recoil absorption system built into the stock.

Forgot to add,  I know someone who has had one of these for just over 12 months and has just got rid because of problems with it.

Yeah - there is more complexity in the action than a conventional shotgun with the upside that Benelli have attempted to do something different for a sound mechanical reason.   In a normal shotgun i.e. my beloved Perazzi, when the cartridge fires the explosive load effective tries to push the breech face of the action and the barrels apart which is why over a long period of time some guns 'shoot loose' as there is incremental wear in the action because of the enormous loads.   

Benelli's solution was to have the floating breech face lock onto the back of the monoblock forming a 'self contained assembly' when the gun is closed so that the explosive load is contained within the barrel unit. Because of the design the stub pins that barrel pivots on are small as they don't the same task as those in a normal gun.  The original 828u (sold as 'Field' versions) had a light alloy action and would have most likely exploded without this design - I've shot a couple and the recoil was absolutely brutal even with 24grm shells and I hate to think what a game load would be like.  The YouTube videos on the 828U recoil characteristics are usually for the alloy actioned guns....horrible to shoot.  I've noted that people don't keep them too long.

The Sport version is a 2nd attempt, addressing the desires of a clay shooter, so a heavier steel action, a super crisp trigger, extended chokes, stock and balance adjustability whilst retaining the mechanical recoil reduction system embedded in the stock and its nicely done too.

Before buying the gun I did do extensive research, paying particular attention to known or recurrent issues and the only common problem on the early Filed version guns was related to the ejector mechanism which is, frankly, a bit odd.  In the barrel chambers there are ports - much like those you'd find in a gas operated semi.  However the cartridge covers these ports when inserted and it's the firing of the gun that sends a pulse of air out to trip each ejector - it works perfectly.  There were reports, in the USA, that certain very thin walled cartridge cases could get deformed and stuck on the edges of the ports - maybe they redesigned the port profiles for the Sport version.  From a Benelli design point of view there are no functional parts in the fore end related to the ejection process.

Since taking up this hobby 12 years ago I've noted previous attempts  by other manufacturers to do a 'clean sheet of paper design' and either through poor execution or lack of market traction they have just given up as the market is fiercely traditional....Browning Cynergy (golly I really wanted a 'Black Ice' back in 2008), most likely the 828u Sport will go the same way but hey - at least they tried.  

Footnote...it's gone, gremlins continued.  Replace by a Blaser Vantage sporter...

Oh dear  not a very good, same problem or did others develope too

Well well, thank you for the warning, but I think my mind was already made up. Every now and again manufacturers come out with a real 'white elephant' ,  Miroku 3000, Browning Cynergy and Beretta made one, but the model escapes me, to name three. Problem is there are always people who will chuck money at it to be 'different' from the crowd. I think I will be sticking with my rubbish gun that falls apart after some 80 years of hard use, the firing pins need changing every week, it rusts if you store it in the coalhouse, sorry,.................er , summer house, the blacking will have rubbed off before I get it home from the gun shop etc. etc. etc.    !   I will just have to learn to live with it.

Oh dear  not a very good, same problem or did others develope too
The ominous 'click' and no strike of the primer  (at all), persisted so the GMK warranty repair wasn't effective and that was joined by a failure to eject spent carts from the top chamber.

Latest posts

Back