Ground recommendation near High Wycombe please

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

Hi Guys

Id like my son to join us on Saturday, we would usually shoot at Churchill’s but they won’t allow him accompanied by us and I don’t want/need to a caddy

Any ideas for nearby alternatives? Need to be close by as this is the mid point between me and others

Thsnks 

Why would Churchill’s stop your son coming with you ????

does he want to shoot also,if so it seems a short sighted policy and may potentially drive away their future customers 

There is AC sporting targets 20 mins down the M40 from EJC. However they will make each new attendee go through a safety test before allowing them on the ground. So if your son hasn’t handled a gun before he may well fail it. I assume EJC are saying that a non-certificate holder (your son?) is not permitted to use claymate? I can see their point. It may even be a stipulation of their insurance. Bisley won’t let you in without seeing a certificate. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it’s up to the ground, some allow and some don’t (I think it’s section 11 exemption?). He’s a decent shot and has use of his own gun for The grounds close to home that allow so, he’d be fine on a safety assessment. Thanks for suggestion.

There is AC sporting targets 20 mins down the M40 from EJC. However they will make each new attendee go through a safety test before allowing them on the ground. So if your son hasn’t handled a gun before he may well fail it. I assume EJC are saying that a non-certificate holder (your son?) is not permitted to use claymate? I can see their point. It may even be a stipulation of their insurance. Bisley won’t let you in without seeing a certificate. 
Are you talking shotgun cert or insurance cert or both for Churchills? Bisley definitely need some proof of independent insurance but didn't know Churchills were strict too, never shot there?

Are you talking shotgun cert or insurance cert or both for Churchills? Bisley definitely need some proof of independent insurance but didn't know Churchills were strict too, never shot there?
Hi

Ne doesn’t have his own sgc, that’s the stumbling block.  He is BASC member though .

Shot gun certificate. I think grounds may have insurance if shooter has one. 

Shot gun certificate. I think grounds may have insurance if shooter has one. 
I’d love to find out definitively what the insurance position is on a clay ground .

My personal nightmare is seeing a new certificate holder on a pay and play. 50 cartridges experience, 3 ‘never fired a shot friends ‘ in tow , juggling a semi -auto , none of them holding CPSA , BASC , CLA membership etc . 

I’m sure that clubs do have their own 3rd party liability insurance , but Im confused about the personal liability  aspects for   A) non certificate holders ,  B ) certificate holders shooting  but not covered by their own insurance .

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not sure clubs would take on the liability of an individual...

To be liable, the ‘defendant’ has to be negligent (which is often a sod to prove)

A club covering the potential negligence of its customers is pretty brave in my mind..

Non certificate holders and certificate holds are both liable for their own negligence, whether they choose to insure that is to protect their own financial loss not that of a third party. EG  If you negligently shoot my hand (at best) then I’m coming for you whether you are insured or not I don’t care.  Imagine the personal costs if you take someone’s eye out and it goes to court... The £15 (plus BASC margin) insurance costs is a good idea.

And as for your example, I couldn’t agree more, infact more than one beginner per gun (unless a coach) should be stopped, at best it holds everyone else up, there was a guy at Eriswell over Christmas with 1 gun and 5 family members who also moaned about having to buy them ear (50p) and eye (?) protection then they held up everyone else...

Back