Abbey Burton/Charlotte Kerwood

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike

Who thinks the best shooter at this moment in time has been selected for the Olympics?

I think that the wrong one has been selected.

There is comment reference this subject in the new issue of Clay Shooting.

I can't remember specifics but I recall this seemingly unfair selection process happening before.

Vic.

By her own admission, the GB shooting team selectors left Lesley Goddard with a ‘broken heart’ when, after winning a quota place in the team for the
Beijing Olympics, the selectors surprisingly offered the place to younger rival, Charlotte Kerwood.

Lesley, who’s now in her early 50s, is clearly still emotional when she talks about that decision but, being the belligerent competitor she is, she fought back. In 2009, she won the English, British and World Universal Trench championships in a two-fingered salute to the GB selectors.

Sounds familiar.

Salopian,

Who are the selectors responsable for choosing who goes forward.

I'm not certain it's such a good idea picking favourites after the selection process has taken place. It won't alter the outcome and can only wind up both of the girls and may adversely affect their performances.

This subject has been discussed at length on the 'trap' section of this website as well as others. The selectors decision is, in my opinion, wrong but its been made now. Lets not start the discussion again.

Sorry, I missed what was posted in the Trap section.

The choice of shooter is still wrong though.

I'm not certain it's such a good idea picking favourites after the selection process has taken place. It won't alter the outcome and can only wind up both of the girls and may adversely affect their performances.
This subject has been discussed at length on the 'trap' section of this website as well as others. The selectors decision is, in my opinion, wrong but its been made now. Lets not start the discussion again.
The decision is made and that's that but surely something isn't quite right with the selection process for there to appear to be a repeat of the 2008 procedure?

Vic.

I honestly don't know how some people manage to sleep at night after making a decision like that.

I honestly don't know how some people manage to sleep at night after making a decision like that.
Why? most politicians and administrators of major events sleep very soundly it goes with the territory. The fact that poor Lesley Goddard was done up like a kipper and now Abbey has been as well just demonstrates how much politics and self interest are rampant in the selection proccess it is no surprise just a rather sad state of affairs.

It is blatantly obvious that many Selection processes are contaminated by personal favouritism and politics. I accept that many "officials" do thankless jobs ang give their own time and effort for no apparent reward there are too many individuals running GB Teams/Organisations that continually choose to Run with the Hares & Hunt with the Hounds yet still want to be respected and even liked. Self interest rules

okay so lets stop the self interest......... one selection shoot , if you want to shoot for team GB, you turn up and shoot . if you dont want to represent , then don't turn out . winner goes to the games . the rest go home. no one gets to exert favourtism or politics. simples..........the cream always rises......

the athletics team were selected in this manner in brum last week. :yell:

I wish all those representing GB well at the olympics.

jasper

Last edited by a moderator:
okay so lets stop the self interest......... one selection shoot , if you want to shoot for team GB, you turn up and shoot . if you dont want to represent , then don't turn out . winner goes to the games . the rest go home. no one gets to exert favourtism or politics. simples..........the cream always rises......

the athletics team were selected in this manner in brum last week. :yell:

I wish all those representing GB well at the olympics.

jasper
Not entirely true. There is some discretion as to the selection process for Athletics. Dwayne Chambers was selected despite not achieving the A standard time throughout the whole of the qualifying year. B Standard athletes have been selected ahead of A standard athletes in other track events.

You are kidding yourself if you think that politics & favouritism doesn't play a part in the selection process. My thoughts on this one, and of course its only my opinion, is that Charlotte Kerwood is the well funded, well backed, darling of shooting and due to those factors there was a vested interest in putting her forward for the Olympic team (again.....). It doesn't look great when a self funded athlete upsets the apple cart through their own hard work, finance & perseverance, just ask Aaron Cook of British Taekwondo.

If Charlotte is completely out of form & Abbey is winning Gold Medals at World Cup events in the run up to the Olympics then who deserves to go?

Not entirely true. There is some discretion as to the selection process for Athletics. Dwayne Chambers was selected despite not achieving the A standard time throughout the whole of the qualifying year. B Standard athletes have been selected ahead of A standard athletes in other track events.

You are kidding yourself if you think that politics & favouritism doesn't play a part in the selection process. My thoughts on this one, and of course its only my opinion, is that Charlotte Kerwood is the well funded, well backed, darling of shooting and due to those factors there was a vested interest in putting her forward for the Olympic team (again.....). It doesn't look great when a self funded athlete upsets the apple cart through their own hard work, finance & perseverance, just ask Aaron Cook of British Taekwondo.

If Charlotte is completely out of form & Abbey is winning Gold Medals at World Cup events in the run up to the Olympics then who deserves to go?
Absolutely.....

Abbey Burton.

There are many things that happen in life that are unexplainable.

Abbey has done everything possible to have been selected, she has appealed, but been overruled.

Charlotte is the chosen one and must now compete in the knowledge that she must perform to justify her selection.

We will always forever wonder what Abbey and Leslie Goddard could have done if they had been given an opportunity. Sadly we will never know.

What the selectors never seem to realise is that a set back to someone's career like these people have had can do untold damage to their moral and enthusiasm for the sport.

Slight correction needed for the record. Abbey 'WON' her appeal..........!!

They just did not select her when it was referred back to the 're-selection panel'!!!!

But you are quite right Salop.........selectors have made their beds and they must now lie in them.......their results will have to be justified.

Latest posts

Back