Service

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill.rosa

I shoot at least 12 thousand cartridges a year with my dt 10 how often should I have my gun fully serviced I give the gun a good clean after every shoot.

I shoot at least 12 thousand cartridges a year with my dt 10 how often should I have my gun fully serviced I give the gun a good clean after every shoot.
Not less than once every 2 years or 20000 shells. If you’re shooting competition err on the safe side and have it at least checked over annually. Don’t forget, a service is also an opportunity for a gunsmith to install any new and updated parts if necessary.

Some will say they don’t bother servicing their guns at all. This is daft in my opinion and just stores up problems for the future. You wouldn’t leave a car unserviced for years, nor should you with your gun.

These days, servicing a car amounts to little more than changing oils, possibly some other fluids and replacing a few filters. But there's nothing like that on a shotgun and mostly they don't need servicing until wear becomes noticeable and on a DT10 that's probably at least 40,000 rounds and probably more. Some guns, e.g. the Blaser F3, were troublesome early in the production life and have seen several updates but they've been very solid for some years now and unlike Krieghoff, Blaser don't demand an expensive annual service.

Come to that do any other makers even mention having their guns routinely serviced? If you want to support your gunsmith by having guns serviced then great, but your gun won't last any longer or be more reliable.

Kreighoff require a biannual one to keep the warranty going. I've done that so far and will probably continue after the warranty runs out.

My old DT10 has only been in to the gunsmith of there has been an issue with it.

You can always (or should be able to) tell when a particular part needs replacing, annual servicing regardless of amount of use is like changing tyres for the hell of it. 

Take the butt off and blow out with a air line or a can of air for computers re oil

I do a complete strip down of my 682 every year and oil/ grease everything ( the top lever spindle is awkward ) and after 140,000 shots it's still going strong.

Thanks for all your input I will have the gun serviced in the not to distant future

So, if you don't mind me asking, what exactly happens in a service that you can't do yourself.

My son was charged £80 for his serviced last year and the only thing I can work out is it was stripped and cleaned.

He currently has a firing pin, trigger, or selector problem and was told it needed servicing.

So, if you don't mind me asking, what exactly happens in a service that you can't do yourself.

My son was charged £80 for his serviced last year and the only thing I can work out is it was stripped and cleaned.

He currently has a firing pin, trigger, or selector problem and was told it needed servicing.
My point exactly. Very few of us have the tools and knowhow to strip a gun, but in reality the only thing the previous service achieved was income for the gunsmith.

All you need is the stock key or a long screwdriver. A can on tetra action cleaner and at most a screw driver. People are just scared, which is reinforced by the gun trade. It is a long way from rocket science. It's something people should really by used to doing because if you go out and get it properly wet you need to take the stock off to ensure it actually dries in there or by the next "service" it may be very rusty.

All you need is the stock key or a long screwdriver. A can on tetra action cleaner and at most a screw driver. People are just scared, which is reinforced by the gun trade. It is a long way from rocket science. It's something people should really by used to doing because if you go out and get it properly wet you need to take the stock off to ensure it actually dries in there or by the next "service" it may be very rusty.
Very rusty or soggy wood.

Until recently I thought it normal to remove the stock for a full clean. It's only since I've become a regular at my RFD that I realised that it's quite rare.

If you're worried about using a long screwdriver as the bolt can be really tight (overtight if it's never been done for years) try using a 1/4" drive long handle socket with a tommy bar and screwdriver head attachment. Have someone hold the stock tightly. Less likely hood of damage if you slip than using a long screwdriver. On some makes the retaining screw is only a couple of inches inside.

Another tip, when your gun is wet, wipe it down with one of those micro fibre cloths (3 for £1, in poundland) or a terry towel before finally slipping it before the pub or the journey home. Prevent the moisture being allowed to start it's damage.  I see loads of experienced guns slipping a wet gun into an already wet sheepskin lined slip. Use a second slip, slips are cheap enough and just a fraction of a repair or service. 

Latest posts

Back