Sheffield, heads up:

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Centrepin

I don't do Facebook but just had a text, Sycamore is closed tomorrow 15th December.

Partially due to high winds and snow, but also to theft of traps.

That's the second shoot in this area that's had traps stolen recently. 

A bit slow to pick this up.

I used to shoot at Sycamore a few years ago but I heard that Mike Dixon who owned the ground has sadly passed away and assumed it had closed down. Please tell me if that is wrong.

Phil

A bit slow to pick this up.

I used to shoot at Sycamore a few years ago but I heard that Mike Dixon who owned the ground has sadly passed away and assumed it had closed down. Please tell me if that is wrong.

Phil
It's definitely open. Run by Howard now.

It's owned by All Guns Discounted, which used to be Arthur Turners Gunsmiths that was.

If you do Facebook they have a page and update it regularly. My wife or son keep an eye on it for me.

It's open this Sunday but due to a lack of traps I believe it's just a 50 bird sporting and no compak.

Well worth it, £15.

Say hello if you see me, big fella, always leaning on a stick and usually in shirt sleeves. 

Will do although I rarely get to my old home town nowadays but used to shoot for one of the pub teams on a Tuesday night which is when I visited the ground a few times in recent years, well about 4 years ago. I don't do facebook either but will try to look it up.  Aurther Turner, now there is a name from the past, I remember parking on double yellows outside the shop to pick up clays for Peak Gun Club at Totley which I was involved in running many many years ago.

Phil

Will do although I rarely get to my old home town nowadays but used to shoot for one of the pub teams on a Tuesday night which is when I visited the ground a few times in recent years, well about 4 years ago. I don't do facebook either but will try to look it up.  Aurther Turner, now there is a name from the past, I remember parking on double yellows outside the shop to pick up clays for Peak Gun Club at Totley which I was involved in running many many years ago.

Phil
In the summer they now do Thursday nights I believe. Come summer now I'm retired I'll be popping up.

Yes Arthur Turners on West Bar, demolished now for office blocks I think. I had my first gun an air rifle from there. Would have been around 69ish. (I still have it, but it's not in the greatest of conditions). Was a proper gunsmiths.

The only clay shoot I remember from then was Fox House. 

Yes I used to shoot at Fox House when Mike Dixon ran it for a while then Ray Carnell took it over. Bloody cold windswept place in the winter. I still have a photo somewhere of me holding some trophy standing next to my pride and joy Alpha Romeo in 6" of snow.   In those days there were quite a few clay shoots around the area, sadly all now gone.

I used to get 1d, one penny in old money for each complete clay I picked up from Fox House and a half pint of Mansfield bitter from the guy who ran it. I can't remember his name. It might have been Ray but I think it might have been Ken who paid me.

I used to beat on just about all the driven days around that area. 10/- (50p) food and a bottle of double diamond, if it was a good day.

Latest posts

Back