walk on the wild side

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor Lecter

today I traded my 525sl  for a perazzi copy  the yildiz pro black 32" adj with grade 5 timber   and very nice it is too ,  the wood is top draw !  can I hit owt with it   don't know aint shot it yet , hoping for a bang sunday         cant fault the 525 laminate  but fancied a change ,  I got a really good deal at lakeside guns   cheers simon ,  now I realise in future I could take a hit on part x   but we are not talking mega money here !   one thing for sure on arriving home    cleaning , oiling , greasing  the yildiz   at this price point  it would be hard to beat  in build quality  and finish ,    just hope it works for me ,  !

Something my wife taught me years ago. Don't buy thinking about PX value or what it might be worth later.

Buy it, use it, enjoy it and should you ever part with it be happy you enjoyed it and had your money's worth. That way anything you do get back is a bonus not a right. I do it with everything now, especially cars.

Enjoy your new gun for it's own sake and have fun with it.

Go get some lead in the air😁

Yeah - I never could understand the focus of a personal purchase being the resale.  I mean, if you don't know that it is something worth buying/using why are you buying it to start with?

Someone I know pays extra to have leather seats in his new cars because it makes the re-sale value higher.

But then uses covers to sit on, to keep them in good condition......."DOH!!!"

I think it sometimes depends on the purpose of the purchase. 

When I got my F16, I didn’t have the stock modified just I case I might want to move it on if I ended up not liking it.

I’d only put 75 through a used game model before and couldn’t be sure I was doing the right thing with my limited experience. 

I’ve since put 150 through my own and will probably but another 100 through this weekend. 

I wont shoot again until January 10th as I have a pretty full calendar and I’ll only get one more shoot in January, so I’m unlikely to shorten the stock or fit an adjustable comb before March, assuming I keep it. 

Its the nicest gun I have shot so far, but then I’ve only shot a limited number of guns anyway. Would rather like to try a F3.

One thing for sure is had I hastily bought the F16 without the notion I might sell it, I would have had the stock modified and it would have been a mistake as my mount has developed over the past few months such that I’m much closer to standard stock than I was initially, not now needing such a short stock or high comb. 

I think it sometimes depends on the purpose of the purchase. 

When I got my F16, I didn’t have the stock modified just I case I might want to move it on if I ended up not liking it.

I’d only put 75 through a used game model before and couldn’t be sure I was doing the right thing with my limited experience. 

I’ve since put 150 through my own and will probably but another 100 through this weekend. 

I wont shoot again until January 10th as I have a pretty full calendar and I’ll only get one more shoot in January, so I’m unlikely to shorten the stock or fit an adjustable comb before March, assuming I keep it. 

Its the nicest gun I have shot so far, but then I’ve only shot a limited number of guns anyway. Would rather like to try a F3.

One thing for sure is had I hastily bought the F16 without the notion I might sell it, I would have had the stock modified and it would have been a mistake as my mount has developed over the past few months such that I’m much closer to standard stock than I was initially, not now needing such a short stock or high comb. 
How can you possibly judge a gun's suitability if it doesn't fit you properly?  JMO but its been my experience that as a shooter develops the stock length almost always, OK - always, shortens.  again, JMO

and I have to admit that it still remains a mystery to me how a mere 1/2" or 1/4" can effect such a change in the feel and performance of a gun, but it certainly does for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
How can you possibly judge a gun's suitability if it doesn't fit you properly?  JMO but its been my experience that as a shooter develops the stock length almost always, OK - always, shortens.  again, JMO

and I have to admit that it still remains a mystery to me how a mere 1/2" or 1/4" can effect such a change in the feel and performance of a gun, but it certainly does for me.
Completely agree, but does the gun fit me properly if I’m putting too much weight forward? Or if I mount softly or firmly to the cheek? Or to the shoulder or to the cheek first? Or low or high in the shoulder? Or I don’t turn my nose in?

i suppose I could fit the gun to me or me to the gun but unless I’m doing the basics well to begin with then isn’t it a mute point?

for sure my mount has improved and become a little more consistent and from that my fit requirements have changed. 

My first posts on this forum were actually trying to work out if I should modify the stock right away on the basis none would fit me, yet had i done so such a stock would not fit how I now shoot. 

My best guess is as someone who is still very green is that now I better fit the gun I’m closer to having the gun made to better fit me. 

Have a dozen lessons ago I would have had a 13 3/4” stock with 1/2” increase in the comb height and 5 degrees extra pitch and 1/2” of cast on

Now I’d more likely have a 14 1/4” stock, 1/4 increase in the comb, 1/4” cast on, 5 degrees increase in pitch. Still not sure if I would need to have toe in or toe out yet. I plan to find that out tomorrow.

at the moment I’m shooting without a but pad and a 5mm comb raiser taped on with insulation tape. Seems ok for now but still some experimenting to do. 

Not to be too critical since I well recall the time involved for me to find someone who actually knew WTF gunfitting and proper mount constituted.  It does not appear that you have yet encountered that person.  For some advice that seems to me to have some real merit I'd suggest that you check out Michael Yardley's book(s) on gunfitting.

just a thot and JMO of course

for example

http://www.positiveshooting.com/CoachingwithMike.html

Back