Sim Game day recommendations

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lloyd

I’ve been recommended to do a simulated game day. I’m told it would suit my style of shooting and play to my strengths and I must say I do quite fancy it. 

Thats said, as a total noob, where would I best try for a first time?

Also, what if any etiquette should I follow?

Thanks in advance 

Lloyd

I think they're great fun! They're run in a similar style to a game day; typically you turn up and have a breakfast with a safety briefing and explanation of the days format. Then it's off to the 'pegs' which are normally shared with someone else. You'll shoot for a 'drive' whilst the other chap loads for you. Then you'll swap and load for them before moving on. 

You'll shoot a slab of cartridges easily so it's worth using 21gm loads to save the shoulder.

Not too sure where you're based but there are a few places that have their 2020 dates up already:

https://www.honesberieshooting.co.uk/simulated-game-days/ Honesberie don't have their dates up yet but it's worth giving them a call to register interest

https://www.barburyshootingschool.com/latest-simdates 

https://www.jbdsporting.co.uk/simulated-game-days

https://www.theoxfordshireshootingschool.co.uk/game-shooting/simulated-game

You’ll enjoy such a day 

Simulated  days vary as do real driven days . You can go for the whole hog fully catered breakfast , elevenses and lunch if you want or something more modest .  I’ve been on a few , normally a jolly mix of people 

The  thing that all simulated will all have in common is a gun line of  eight or more people shooting without cages .  On most of the ones I’ve done each drive was shot by 2 or 3 different teams of 9 or 10 people each team shooting a full flush then swopping . When you’re not shooting you can stuff and/or spot for the shooter 

On the day you will draw a starting peg number , and you will move up 2 or 3 pegs on each subsequent drive .

Etiquette,  first safety, second safety third , safety ,  you may shoot 50 or more cartridges on a flush , so  safe reloading is paramount .  Eject the cartridge  and let  your loader stuff .  Close the gun wood to metal,   barrels pointing down at the earth in case of a ND !  You may be given permission to shoot behind the line ,  remember  there are no safety cages so muzzles up , and never swing through the line .  Listen to the pre-shoot  briefing  carefully, and be aware of the stop shooting signal . 

You  will probably be offered alcohol at least  twice during the day , it’s part of a social shoot but a strange thing for clay shooters . 

Normally , there is not a dress code , but most people are turned out smartly . You won’t be out of place in a clay vest . Personally I  wear a shirt and tie and a shooting vest . 

My next etiquette point may be contentious to some, but , shoot at any thing that you consider safe .There  will be birds that are  possible from more than one peg and the bloke on the next peg won’t be hanging back . Don’t get upset when the clay you are swinging onto vaporises before you pull the trigger🤬 . Having said that don’t take the piss and take every target away from an obviously weak shooter . Above all dont take it seriously no one is counting .  

All in all , they are fantastic days 

have a look at The Driven Clay Company in Lancashire  a very good set up at reasonable prices .

Last edited by a moderator:
I help run sim days, there great fun and a jolly day out however the disadvantage is that its sometimes difficult to be certain if you shot well or not as you generally have 3 or 4 guns shooting the same target 🤣 you certainly will get through some cartridges thats for sure

If it's not too late for my input. Raisthorpe Flyers, Raisthorpe Manor, Wharram, Malton YO17 9TF.. 

Have done this three times now.. fantastic day, the organisers are lovely people. Facilities are first class. Also, they have their own Gin distillery.. always a nice treat. 

You will love it. 

@Charliedog I live in Northampton and work in oxford. My son, whom I sometimes shoot with lives in Lancashire. 

Last edited by a moderator:
@Lloyd if you're in Lancashire mid week,  try the Boar shooting ground near Glossop. I use it a lot from Sheffield and it varies a lot in quality. It has two skeet, a compak, sporting and they've just redone the sim game. Last Friday 3 of us shot the sim game, everything now comes up off wobblers, you can press for a 40 bird continuos and often have 4 in the air at a time. They come up high from around the 70 yard mark but nothing is unhitable. Real good fun and keeps you on your toes. Worked out at about £20 each. We only called it a day as we had only taken 150 cartridges a piece to test fire some repaired guns.

Depends what your looking for & your location, look up sixmilebottomshoot.....top end event with a real keeper who understands exactly what the guns want

My good friend Richard Clarke runs it near Newmarket

Depends what your looking for & your location, look up sixmilebottomshoot.....top end event with a real keeper who understands exactly what the guns want

My good friend Richard Clarke runs it near Newmarket
Yes agree, great set up and location

I went to both Six Mile Bottom and Quidenham sim days last year and had a fantastic time at both. The targets, food and hosts at both places were very good.

Latest posts

Back