Suggestions for windproof jumper

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJW128

Hello,

Any suggestions for a tried and tested windproof jumper? 

Thanks

Daniel

I have a Harkilla, a Barbour and 2 cheapo's, one from Aldi and the other from Edinburgh Woolen Mill golf shop. The Harkilla was £120, the Barbour was £90 (in a sale), the Aldi was £12 and the EWM was £15 (again in a sale). The Aldi model is very warm and totally windproof, which I wear when fishing. It can be a bit damp inside IF you are doing a lot of energetic stuff, so I do not wear it at the gym    :no:   The EWM is similar, very windproof and I wear it for clay shooting. Both of these are machine washable at 30 deg. (my Wife tells me).  The Harkilla is a bit chunky but it does the job, again can be very warm if energetic behaviour is on the cards. I have used it for driven game shooting on cold, dry days for some 7 years now and apart from the 'hand wash' only bit, it's been very good. I bought the Barbour in their sale earlier this year and although I have only worn it a couple of times (neither of which for shooting), it has been excellent. The downside is the 'hand wash' bit. I wore it on a cold frosty morning last month, but was glad to take it off when the sun came up. So, there we are, I forgot to mention that I had a Musto windproof fleece jacket which lasted some 15 years, was machine washable and was windproof, but, not as warm as the previously mentioned four sweaters. If you are using it for clay shooting, check out your local golf shop. If it is going to be for more formal wear, look at the Barbour or possibly the Harkilla. IF, it is cheap but functional that you want, wait until Aldi or Lidl get them in again.

I wear a Snugpak windproof shirt, which is a pullover in fleece with a very windproof and waterproof enough pertex outer. It comes with two detachable hoods, one in fleece and pertex and one in just pertex, neither of which I use. Zip pocket on front, two zip pockets on sides and zips up the side to allow ventilation on warmer days. Arms are generally a bit on the long side with thumb hole loops, but the body comes down long enough to keep your back warm. Crushes up into it's own compression stuff sack which is included and about the same size as a leather cartridge bag. Shakes out, no creases, takes a proper hammering and chucks in the washer.

Buffalo do a very similar model, I think Snugpak copied buffalo and improved it a bit. Sugpak in only black or green as they were directed towards the military. Buffalo in all colours. 

Price varies, from affordable to silly depending on sellers, but they are definitely worth the money.

For anyone living within travelling distance of the Keighley by pass , Snugpak  have what could be loosely termed a factory shop , more like a corner of the mill actually , but cheap . 

Also worth looking at Musto , they have continual sales offers on their website , and I’ve had some brilliant bargains . Tip , they size up small , order two sizes , this helps get free delivery , then keep the best fit and return the other free  . 

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone living within travelling distance of the Keighley by pass , Snugpak  have what could be loosely termed a factory shop , more like a corner of the mill actually , but cheap . 

Also worth looking at Musto , they have continual sales offers on their website , and I’ve had some brilliant bargains . Tip , they size up small , order two sizes , this helps get free delivery , then keep the best fit and return the other free  . 
I've been to the factory a few times, first to collect a  repair when I was still Army. When I came out and was on the lorries doing container work I used to load for export there, i just felt free to have a walk around the factory. They make some really good gear, I have a few of their products.

Another vote for Edinburgh woollen mill. I have a Pringle v neck which is superb and smart enough for loading / shooting etc with a shirt and tie. . Its not chunky like some of the others and I can can a coat on over it no probs, but its very warm. 100% lambs wool.   Got it in one of their  sales. 

Recommended. 

Jasper. 

I like these, Millets always have sales on, they sometimes go down to £24 + postage.

It's a densely, fine knitted affair, doesn't look like a fleece but probably is. Fairly windproof (but not 100%.) Perfect if you are walking on cold days with a tee shirt or more layers underneath.

Check them out in Millets then use the SALE20 code to order online, or just buy it because there is postage on top of the £28.00

The fit is snug but lengths are generous, I'm 15+stone with long arms and XL fits me a treat. Good for shooting!

Capture.JPGCapture.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want totally windproof, golfing windshirts are the way to go.  I have a couple of Glenmuir ones and they do a great job of keeping the wind out.  One of the grounds I shoot at is on the edge of Romney Marsh and when the wind gets up it can be the bitterest place I've ever been and it even helps there. 

In the coldest weather I layer up - thermal, polo shirt, thin fleece and windshirt on top.  Not bulky so doesn't affect your mount or restrict your shoulder movement, but enough to keep you comfortable.

Thanks all. The golf windshirt idea sounds like a winner. Just placed an order with American golf and shall try it out shooting this Sunday : )

I have a Musto windstopper jumper that I wear as part of a layering system for game shooting. It is excellent and was a sale bargain. 

I have a Musto windstopper jumper that I wear as part of a layering system for game shooting. It is excellent and was a sale bargain. 
Ditto, had mine for years. I find it hard to beleive that the thin extra layer makes such a difference. 

I have a thin nylon 'Karrimor Running' top which is unlined and light as a feather and use it as a windstopper. I layer up underneath it with a thin long sleeve T shirt, or thermal version if it's really cold, and then a jumper of some description. 

For my legs I've got some lined M&S trousers which for me work well.  I really struggle with my hands though, starting to get arthritis in my fingers, and the cold plays havoc with my ability to grip.  I've got a pair of MacWet gloves which have proved perfect in keeping the chill off and they give good grip too. I know they're not much cop when it's raining but as a trap shooter my shooting is under cover so getting went isn't normally a problem.  When I used to game shoot I used SealSkinz gloves and they were very warm and kept my hands dry too.   

Worth looking on Utting's web site as they do some very good deals on many different items. I use Musto micro fleece which works for me if it is very cold although I have to say that I don't really feel the cold very much and long may it continue. Still shooting in my shorts............on slightly warmer days. 😄

Phil

For me anything made of Gore-Tex is the simple answer.  Multitude of products here and I'm sure ebay abounds with it.  Absolutely nothing better AFAIC for wind and wet

Latest posts

Back