Browning 725 Trigger Problems

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geordieboy

So then.  I've been shooting a Browning 725 Pro-Trap for about 5 months now.  Rather well (for me) I may say.  Gun patterns great and the heavy nature allows me a lot of control.  

Thing is, the mechanical triggers are playing up.  Double discharges and taking time to reset the 2nd barrel or going off too early.  Cost me 5 targets at the weekend.  A friend of mine bought 2 of these and one of his had the same problem.  He took his back to the gunshop and Browning replaced his trigger unit completely.

Anybody else have any issues with theirs?  I shoot about 12000 shells per year so I'm not halfway through that lot yet.

Cheers

My husband has a 725 sporter.  Used to not strike hard enough and also randomly require double the force to pull the trigger. Putting hardened pins and stronger springs imported from the States solved the first issue.  Second issue persists, despite being serviced.  I've heard it's pretty common for Brownings to have trigger issues.  He's given up and bought a second hand Perazzi MX12 instead.

@Geordieboy - OT but can I ask which chokes you use, the Browning DS chokes or have you dumped them for an aftermarket?

I’ve seen my Buddy’s 725 pro sport double discharge twice .  The first on clays , about 18 months ago , the (second time ,  64 gms of #5  Black Gold  on a pheasant😳)  was 12 months ago , since then it’s not done it again in thousands of shots including a simulated driven day when he put over 60 rounds per drive through it . 

@Geordieboy - OT but can I ask which chokes you use, the Browning DS chokes or have you dumped them for an aftermarket?
I use the Browning ones. I had another thread on here where I went a bit technical and measured them. 😱

Lovely even patterns. Half choke gives 60% @ 40yds, 3/4 gives 80% @ 40yds  LF gives 83% but is tighter in the middle and not an even spread.

Full choke was 69% and raggy. 

My mate uses kicks chokes and his patterns are much tighter. But I'm very happy with the shredding breaks I'm getting, out at range too. I pop in an Eley Titanium shell if I'm a bit worried and that fettles the little buggers!

I'm calling the gunshop today. The gun has a 10 year warranty on the action. I'm hoping they can sort it out. 

By comparison the build quality of my perazzi is exemplary and the triggers are simply amazing. The browning has a 2mm take up space which acts like a 2 stage trigger and is awful. The gun just shoots well at Clay's.......

The 725 trigger system is not truly mechanical by the usual definition for shotguns because it still uses an inertia block. In the US where skeeters often use sub gauge tubes,  the triggers typically have to be fettled for 28g and .410 tubes to work reliably.

The 725 triggers have been troublesome since day one and there is at least 1 design revision. Frankly I remain mystified as to why Miroku/Browning went to the trouble of answering a question no one asked by tinkering with the generally reliable inertia system to simulate mechanical triggers and yet completely ignore annoyances like the take up and inconsistent pull weight which users have been complaining about for donkey's years. (If CG can take that general design and produce the best trigger pulls by far of any mid range gun, why can't Miroku?)

I know of a couple of people who love their ProSport 725s and shoot them superbly well, but because of the time they spent being fixed they each ended up buying a backup so they'd be sure of having one working reliably.

The 725 trigger system is not truly mechanical by the usual definition for shotguns because it still uses an inertia block. In the US where skeeters often use sub gauge tubes,  the triggers typically have to be fettled for 28g and .410 tubes to work reliably.

The 725 triggers have been troublesome since day one and there is at least 1 design revision. Frankly I remain mystified as to why Miroku/Browning went to the trouble of answering a question no one asked by tinkering with the generally reliable inertia system to simulate mechanical triggers and yet completely ignore annoyances like the take up and inconsistent pull weight which users have been complaining about for donkey's years. (If CG can take that general design and produce the best trigger pulls by far of any mid range gun, why can't Miroku?)

I know of a couple of people who love their ProSport 725s and shoot them superbly well, but because of the time they spent being fixed they each ended up buying a backup so they'd be sure of having one working reliably.
My mate (AAA Shot) has a spare in the cupboard for that very reason. His No.1 gun went in with the same issues and Browning replaced his with a 725 'Lite' unit. That appears to have overcome his problems.  

On with the CG and I thought their trigger pulls were fantastic. Snappy, consistent and crisp.

Latest posts

Back