Cleaning on the move

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lloyd

What would you good folks recommend for cleaning on the move?

Britbore?

Magicbore?

Bore Snake?

when I was in the military it was a pull through and some 2x4 but tech surely has moved on a bit?

Exactly how long is this move ? Any gun can tolerate a two hour trip back home, if the gun has been shot in pouring rain then it should be wiped dry including breaking up the three parts if necessary. I personally place dried bits on top of dry stuff for the trip back home. I simply cannot see a reason for using any kind of pull through as such, if the inside of the barrels are that wet then spray oil into them followed by some toilet paper, guns with chromed barrels won’t even need that. 

@Hamster Hmm... perhaps I worded the title a bit vaguely?

By “on the move” I actually mean the gun will be stored at my local grounds most of the time so want to be able to clean it on the picnic table/boot of the car/other makeshift area. 

When I was in The Royal Engineers you would clean your rifle sat across your lap or “on the move” so to speak.

I’ll have the gun regularly cleaned/serviced but in the interim would do the routine cleaning myself as for one it would ensure I’m familiar with the condition of the gun and it will save me a few bob too.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you must leave the gun , Payne Galway  brush on a three piece rod . Two part Paradox gun cleaner  ( sheep on a stick ) , usually  they come with a barrel oiling “ bob “ stored in the handle  if you feel the need to oil the bores . Oily rag ,  1” paint brush for the action body , tube of  Tetra Gun Grease , Tin of VP 90 or Legia Spray .  That’s the bare minimum kit I’d use . Personally I check the choke threads are free running ever time I clean the gun . 

Thanks Martyn,

That’s comforting. Basically it says to me there are no real shortcuts, perhaps just better tools and I have all those except the sheep :)

Bear in mind I'm new to shotguns.

Think back to your time in the RE, after shooting, dry it, clean it, lightly oil the working parts and hand to your armoury 😁. When you draw again, prepare for firing in the normal way as if you were on a range day in the Army.

Tried trusted methods,  I see nothing wrong with them. The main thing is it's out of your control when stored and therefore needs a little TLC every time you use it. 

Please, anyone with more shotgun experience jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Two part Paradox gun cleaner  ( sheep on a stick ) , usually  they come with a barrel oiling “ bob “ stored in the handle  if you feel the need to oil the bores . 

Oh - that's what the bit in the handle is for...I had wondered...Thanks!

and as ever check the bores clear before use as you have no idea whats happened if its in store and others have possible access, you should always glance anyways.

I shoot my gun every week... I only wipe the gun down with an oily rag then put it in it's case... The barrels do not get pulled through. The gun is given a real going over every maybe three months or if I know I won't be shooting for a while I give the barrels a run through with a bronze brush on a battery drill and then push an oily mop through them. It is, in the words of the technician at Perazzi, perfect and it is more than thirty years old. Really just don't over do it... caveat it never gets wet .

I must be overdoing it then. I give mine a clean after every use, but not with a battery drill, just by hand
As far as I am concerned people should clean their guns as they see fit. if a person wants to clean there gun between stands that is up to them. The thing is that a really good wipe down with an oily rag does the job ... the bores , in my opinion, do not need to be cleaned after every use but sweaty hands do cause problems as the trigger guard of my gun shows ... no blacking  left there at all!

I check the bores for blockage and run a fuzzy stick thru each after every shot.  Between rounds I wipe clean and re-lube the pivots and usually a spot of fresh grease on the cocking mechanism a couple times a day.  Complete tear-down and the end of each day of course.

Can't be too careful or too clean I always say.  Cleanliness is Next to Goddessness as they say and I wouldn't want to piss her off.

As Lloyd has probably splurged a fair few bob on the new Blaser that is coming his way , I’d be pretty confident that he’ll be doing a fair bit of pro-active cleaning before storing it  with his club .😂.  For a bit of kit like that , I’d be cleaning it and fitting a trigger lock ! 

I've also gone for the squaddie proof approach and keep it simple:

Ballistol spray which I use for cleaning and oil
3 piece rod and attachments
4 x 2 
Grease

I spray a bit of Ballistol down the barrels, then work it through with the phosphor bronze brush and let it sit
wipe down all the metal components with a rag soaked in Ballistol
Run the barrels with the jag fitted and 4 x 2 cloth until clean
Final run through with the wool mop fitted.

Remove the Chokes, clean and lightly grease the threads
Thin layer of grease on the bearing surfaces (hinge pins, sides of the action)

Final wipe over with oiled rag and put away

I'm sure there are loads of 'magic' solutions, potions and tools out there, but I like the regular and simple approach.

Oh and every so often a nice coat of 'Slippery Dicks' wax for the wood work :)

As Lloyd has probably splurged a fair few bob on the new Blaser that is coming his way , I’d be pretty confident that he’ll be doing a fair bit of pro-active cleaning before storing it  with his club .😂.  For a bit of kit like that , I’d be cleaning it and fitting a trigger lock ! 
Uncannily accurate ☺️

Look if you have a problem and need a cleaning on the move... Exlax... it cleans like a white tornado!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back