Surface rusting on action.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam17

Hi all.

So I had about a 3 week break from shooting as funds were non existent. When I got my gun out to go shooting I noticed some faint, but noticeable surface rust patches on the side plate of the action. Only small, and luckily not deep or set in. I wish now that id taken some pictures to post, but didn't.

I clean my gun after each & every outing, and use Bisley gun oil over all metal parts (squirt some onto my cloth and rub the gun down) I also have a vp90 sachet in the safe, and store the gun in a Silicone Treated Shotgun Sock.

Anyways - I did my days shooting and then gave the gun the normal scrub down. When it came to removing the rust I couldn't find my tube of autosol, so opted for a very worn(soft) green scouring pad, I also used some Bisley oil as a lube and carefully worked the patches out, but now I'm concerned that the rust will keep coming back...

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent this happening again??? I have had my gun & licence since May - so this hasn't taken long

Where my gun is stored is known to have a damp issue. So I do have 5 dehumidifier pots in the area but not in the safe. These are due for changing with new ones. I also usually store my gun barrel up and did notice that the action inside and barrels did have a lot of gun oil over them - this wouldn't of caused the rust surely?? This time I have stored the gun barrels down in the safe on a towel to catch any excess - I can be quite heavy handed when it comes to this sort of stuff, but try to hold back...

Sadly I do not have any other options in terms of moving the safe to a 'dryer' area - its a 1930's house so has damp everywhere - despite spending thousands & thousands on damp proofing and re-rendering the house and having the whole house coated in a water & mould repellant paint. It is much much better than when we moved in 5 years ago, but do still have an issue.

I welcome all your suggestions and comments.

Hi all.

So I had about a 3 week break from shooting as funds were non existent. When I got my gun out to go shooting I noticed some faint, but noticeable surface rust patches on the side plate of the action. Only small, and luckily not deep or set in. I wish now that id taken some pictures to post, but didn't.

I clean my gun after each & every outing, and use Bisley gun oil over all metal parts (squirt some onto my cloth and rub the gun down) I also have a vp90 sachet in the safe, and store the gun in a Silicone Treated Shotgun Sock.

Anyways - I did my days shooting and then gave the gun the normal scrub down. When it came to removing the rust I couldn't find my tube of autosol, so opted for a very worn(soft) green scouring pad, I also used some Bisley oil as a lube and carefully worked the patches out, but now I'm concerned that the rust will keep coming back...

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent this happening again??? I have had my gun & licence since May - so this hasn't taken long

Where my gun is stored is known to have a damp issue. So I do have 5 dehumidifier pots in the area but not in the safe. These are due for changing with new ones. I also usually store my gun barrel up and did notice that the action inside and barrels did have a lot of gun oil over them - this wouldn't of caused the rust surely?? This time I have stored the gun barrels down in the safe on a towel to catch any excess - I can be quite heavy handed when it comes to this sort of stuff, but try to hold back...

Sadly I do not have any other options in terms of moving the safe to a 'dryer' area - its a 1930's house so has damp everywhere - despite spending thousands & thousands on damp proofing and re-rendering the house and having the whole house coated in a water & mould repellant paint. It is much much better than when we moved in 5 years ago, but do still have an issue.

Condensation is your problem and the only way I can think of stopping that is to put your gun in an oil impregnated sock type thing. This should stop the warm wet air reaching the cold gun, of course do make sure that the gun is properly dried and cleaned before putting it away in the sock, I keep my gun in the bags provided by Perazzi in its hard carrying case behind my sofa so I never have that problem. Warm wet air will percolate through into a gun cabinet though. Regarding your house you have done the wrong things in many ways the house needs to breathe you are keeping the warm air inside with no way out ... get the windows open on every decent day and let the house breathe ! I live in a house with walls 500 mm thick made of mud and stones rendered with lime mortar built about two hundred odd years back and dampness is only a problem when you start to do the things you have done. Yes re rendering is good if it is a breathable type and you do not have the cavity filled with non breathing insulation. I know that we perhaps don't get quite the cold weather you do in the UK but we get plenty of wet air and rain ... how do we keep dampness at bay... wood fried stove and cooker and plenty of ventilation!

Buy yourself a couple of these and put them in your cabinet. Store your gun well oiled with the barrels down in a clean dry gun slip in the cabinet. This has worked for me for many years. 

Copy of VP90OPEN.jpg

The VCI is a must in my opinion. Also try coating the metal surfaces in lanolin. Some mineral oils are able to absorb and hold water. Lithium based grease also do this. PTFE based is less susceptible 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a tip . get a few pieces of  old flannel bedsheet or such ,  use it to wipe off the excess on the barrel and action after spraying with something ( I like Legia Spray as it’s wood friendly )and also use it on excess grease   . Don’t throw the rag away , keep it in a ziplock bag . After dozens of cleanings with it , when it’s soaked up countless oils and greases you have a perfect “ oily rag “  which will be just right for a pre storage wipe over .  A good oily rag lasts for years and takes some beating . 

I run a small domestic dehumidifier in our house over the winter months ,  you should see what it pull out of the atmosphere ! 

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just a thot but you may want to consider relocating to an area that is more amenable to persons with metal toys.  Right off the top I think that Arizona would be likely the sorta place you need.

there are dehumidifiers made for gun safes that are wonderfully effective as well.  I've no idea if those are available or functional in the UK

HTH

Charlie 

You say known to have a damp issue, it's not in a cellar by any chance.

WD40 is good at shifting light surface rust without resorting to abrasives and also offers a modest level of protection against further rusting, but ultimately, storing guns in a damp location is a really bad idea.

WD40 is good at shifting light surface rust without resorting to abrasives and also offers a modest level of protection against further rusting, but ultimately, storing guns in a damp location is a really bad idea.
I’d argue heavily against this. WD40 is Water Dispersing 40th attempt to get the right formula. It is great at dispersing water as intended. It has very high levels of solvent with Will dilute exist g oils and leave an all too thin film.

Duck Oil (not sure it’s tail available) is-was better for rust prevention 

take a look at what toolmakers uses (lanolin for one) it prevents rust both from moisture and from the acidic nature of the ‘oils’ from you hands.

Volatile Corrosion Inhibitors work great but have a limited shelf life and are atmosphere dependent in terms of life. 

Silica desiccant is also good at absorbing moisture from the local environment 

WD40 is Water Dispersing 40th attempt to get the right formula. It is great at dispersing water as intended.
Yes I know what it is but it's good at shifting light rust and a heck of a lot better than nothing at all for short term protection. I'm not a big fan of WD but it has it's uses and not everyone has duck oil or lanolin lying around. A trip to Homebase for a small moisture absorber to put inside the cabinet would be a better bet than silica.

The Home base and B and Q  things are very good . I got a bundle of 3 for less than 2 quid last week , one is going going in the cabinet along with a new Napier sachet sometime over the weekend .  Obviously Adam uses these ,  but  an extra in the cabinet won’t go amiss . They are calcium chloride rather than silica gel . The added extra is that I got  rose perfumed ones,  the gun cabinet smells like a Parisian knocking shop ....

B40CCBCD-34D9-47EB-AC79-701A41BE0BB3.jpeg

I've used pots like that from our equiv of HomeBase - HomeDepot.  During the winter when it is most humid I've POURED water outta the pot. Seriously!  They work great

The added extra is that I got  rose perfumed ones,  the gun cabinet smells like a Parisian knocking shop ....
May I ask how it is you know that?

Just Yorkshire vernacular, I’ve become WOKE and longer use the phrase “ Like a Tart’s handbag “ as it is now  considered disrespectful to actual carriers of that baggage  ......  whereas casting unfounded aspersions on European establishments  , is actually sanctioned by both our Prime Minister and your President !!

For rust removal (light rusting and metal not pitted)  use some 3 in 1 spray oil and 0000 grade steel wool. Rub the area LIGHTLY with the steel wool having first sprayed it with the oil. I too use gunsocks for storage in the cabinet but more to prevent ' cabinet damage ' from taking guns in and out. As far as lubrication goes, I find most gun oils too light, I use a micro fibre cloth soaked in car engine oil (the old pre synthetic stuff) for all of the outside metal. This oil stays where it is put, thus avoiding damage to the woodwork. My Westley Richards S x S has been in storage for some 2 years (stored barrels down) without the slightest trace of rust.

Try wood finishing suppliers for the 0000 grade steel wool, although sometimes B & Q have it. DO NOT be tempted to use a coarser grade of steel wool, 0000 grade is used by French Polishers to finish furniture and it does not scratch that, so I would suggest your gun will be safe. I have used this method countless times to remove light rusting on guns (NOT mine) without a problem. It also works for removing light scratches from OILED woodwork too, exchanging the 3 in 1 for stock oil or boiled linseed oil.

I don't know what gun you have but if it's rusting like that I guess it's not a Beretta. I can put my Beretta away soaking wet, get it out a week later and absolutely no rust.

I once put a dismantled Miroku  under the bottom drawer of a  built In dresser in a Texas hotel room (hidden  for safety ) , I’d been using it all day at a NSCA competition at San Antonio . In the morning the barrel bluing  was speckled with rust . Whatever the issue was I was staggered as I treated that gun with kid gloves , I suspect it might have been having the air conditioning running full tilt and condensing on the metal  . The “ rust “ was quickly removed with oil and a “non stick pan”  scrub . I traded the gun shortly after , with no comment from the dealer . 

Screwfix is a good source for the wire wool Westley Suggests

https://www.screwfix.com/p/liberon-grade-0000-steel-wool-74-x-225mm/5196f

Back