Is the new beretta 694 the replacement of 692?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panagiotis

Good evening everyone, I don't believe that the new 694 will replace the 692 but I would like to know the views of other members on that topic. It seems that the recently produced 692s have no issues, and beretta fixed the problems that had been apeared at the early produced guns. 

Apparently the 2 big Beretta dealers in America are saying that production of the 692 has stopped and they are selling off 692 stock at a discount. But it's worth remembering that there are more versions of the 692 than just the sporter. There's a skeet model and at least 2 trap variants.

The question is this: Why would anyone buy a new 692 sporter at full price now that there's a 694 which does everything the 692 does but without the legacy of years of problems. There will be good deals on 692s probably but it must be the end of the road - at least for the sporter.

Genuine question as I don't know much about Berettas, but are people anticipating not many problems with the 694? If the 692 had so many problems, is it that close that it should be almost faultless now they've ironed out those faults, or is there a reasonable possibility that it may suffer from similar new model gun issues as it's predescessor?

Back in about 2009 (ish) Beretta introduced the SV10s but from the outset both the sporter and the game model had issues with the switchable ejectors. The 692 was closely based on the SV10 Prevail and inherited not only the unresolved ejector problems but they created another problem. The SV10 had a single screw holding the trigger group to the action frame but it also had a spigot to prevent the the 2 parts separating should the screw work loose or fail. The only difference between the 692 and the SV10 actions was to eliminate the locating spigot. Consequently if the screw worked loose under vibration and failed, the gun would fall in to 2 pieces. Not a common problem but enough that, combined with the ejector issues (which they never solved), people turned en masse to more reliable alternatives like CGs, 725s and F16s. The top tang screw failures were fixed using thread locker to prevent them coming loose and eventually (after about 10 years of trying and failing) the ejector design reverted to a normal non switchable type.

There won't be built in or inherited problems with the 694. Having made dozens of other guns all of which have been trouble free and long lasting Beretta won't repeat the SV10/692 mistakes.

Genuine question as I don't know much about Berettas, but are people anticipating not many problems with the 694? If the 692 had so many problems, is it that close that it should be almost faultless now they've ironed out those faults, or is there a reasonable possibility that it may suffer from similar new model gun issues as it's predescessor?
Nobody knows, yet. Murphy's Law says a 500 year old company is going to get it wrong once in a while, logic says they shouldn't do it twice in a row. 

I wouldn't want to rush out and buy one from the first batch or two but if they prove any less robust and trouble free as what we have come to expect from the marque, then they will deserve every mouthful of castigation that will surely follow. 

• Thanks
Reactions: PKB
Nobody knows, yet. Murphy's Law says a 500 year old company is going to get it wrong once in a while, logic says they shouldn't do it twice in a row. 

I wouldn't want to rush out and buy one from the first batch or two but if they prove any less robust and trouble free as what we have come to expect from the marque, then they will deserve every mouthful of castigation that will surely follow. 
Just heard of a two day old one not ejecting and it's the 3rd one that the shop has sold with the same problem.

Mate, worked in the instrument business for years and in some periods, gibson's flagship les Paul models had sh*te build quality compared to the sister company epiphone's equivalents at a quarter of the price. Then some years they were unbelievably good. Go figure!

That's the trouble of 'I just heard' rumours, it starts with one then by the end of the week it's dozens. We will have to wait a while to get the true failure rate if there is one.I thought the 694 had a totally different ejector system

Unfortunaley for Beretta people once loyal move on and find other brands

Last edited by a moderator:
The ejectors on the 694 are totally different to the 692, much simpler, cant be switched on/off.....very much like the ejectors on any other Beretta 686/682/DT etc....only difference is they are held in place by a small ‘Aspirin’ sized steel button that locates in a groove in the ejector.

Removing them is very easy...push them in, lift the button out with a magnet and the ejectors slide out.....time will tell but I can’t see anything there to actually ‘go wrong’ with them. 

When I picked mine up I asked the dealer if the 694 would replace the 692 and he aid he didn’t know....but I have noticed a couple of new 692’s being discounted lately. 

The 694 ‘feels’ like it sits between the 692 and DT11 in terms of its construction...but that could just be my perception. 

never been a fan of beretta   , I handled the 694  only in a shop      it felt ok    nothing special   and at £3300     I wont be trading my 525 sl    for one  !    

The ejectors on the 694 are totally different to the 692, much simpler, cant be switched on/off.....very much like the ejectors on any other Beretta 686/682/DT etc....only difference is they are held in place by a small ‘Aspirin’ sized steel button that locates in a groove in the ejector.

Removing them is very easy...push them in, lift the button out with a magnet and the ejectors slide out.....time will tell but I can’t see anything there to actually ‘go wrong’ with them. 

When I picked mine up I asked the dealer if the 694 would replace the 692 and he aid he didn’t know....but I have noticed a couple of new 692’s being discounted lately. 

The 694 ‘feels’ like it sits between the 692 and DT11 in terms of its construction...but that could just be my perception. 
The ejectors are very much like CG then

Back in about 2009 (ish) Beretta introduced the SV10s but from the outset both the sporter and the game model had issues with the switchable ejectors. The 692 was closely based on the SV10 Prevail and inherited not only the unresolved ejector problems but they created another problem. The SV10 had a single screw holding the trigger group to the action frame but it also had a spigot to prevent the the 2 parts separating should the screw work loose or fail. The only difference between the 692 and the SV10 actions was to eliminate the locating spigot. Consequently if the screw worked loose under vibration and failed, the gun would fall in to 2 pieces. Not a common problem but enough that, combined with the ejector issues (which they never solved), people turned en masse to more reliable alternatives like CGs, 725s and F16s. The top tang screw failures were fixed using thread locker to prevent them coming loose and eventually (after about 10 years of trying and failing) the ejector design reverted to a normal non switchable type.

There won't be built in or inherited problems with the 694. Having made dozens of other guns all of which have been trouble free and long lasting Beretta won't repeat the SV10/692 mistakes.
Totally agree 

There is so much hearsay about the 692. First, Beretta changed the 692 to standard "disc" type ejectors at the end of the model run and also beefed up the upper tang screw. I have a 692 Black B-Fast that I bought brand new for $4400 this fall when the 694 came out and Cole's was clearing their stock out. The 694 is pretty much a late model 692 with an even beefier upper tang screw, a little different locking bolt mechanics and different stock. The late-model 692 is just as tough as the 694 and older BErettas without the stupid selectable ejectors.  It's easy to spot. Just take the barrels off and see if it has the retaining disc on the side of the monobloc and you have a rock-solid new design 692 in your hands. The pistol grip on the 694 is better. More like my DT-11, but the buttstock is terrible for me shooting mostly FITASC and low gun in skeet as well. Too shallow and a nasty fat comb. If you can find a late model 692 with the disc-style ejectors you have a BEretta just as tough and reliable as the 682 and the new 694.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is so much hearsay about the 692. First, Beretta changed the 692 to standard "disc" type ejectors at the end of the model run and also beefed up the upper tang screw. I have a 692 Black B-Fast that I bought brand new for $4400 this fall when the 694 came out and Cole's was clearing their stock out. The 694 is pretty much a late model 692 with an even beefier upper tang screw, a little different locking bolt mechanics and different stock. The late-model 692 is just as tough as the 694 and older BErettas without the stupid selectable ejectors.  It's easy to spot. Just take the barrels off and see if it has the retaining disc on the side of the monobloc and you have a rock-solid new design 692 in your hands. The pistol grip on the 694 is better. More like my DT-11, but the buttstock is terrible for me shooting mostly FITASC and low gun in skeet as well. Too shallow and a nasty fat comb. If you can find a late model 692 with the disc-style ejectors you have a BEretta just as tough and reliable as the 682 and the new 694.
Really well seen as i saw 2 defective 694's in one day with the same 692 problems i think your dreaming😉

Really well seen as i saw 2 defective 694's in one day with the same 692 problems i think your dreaming😉
Curious to hear what those "same 692 problems" are. If you mean ejector-issues, the problems being "the same" would be surprising, as the designs are quite different.

While on the grand scheme of things my experience doesn't count for much, I still shoot a 692 that has worked flawlessly from the get-go. Selectable ejectors and all. I do take care of it, and did buy extra o-rings just in case (given that those can fail, if left to dry). I just check every once in a while, apply a bit of grease and so far there's no need for replacement. The only part i did replace part is the fore-end, but only because I prefer a beavertail. Could be that I'm lucky, but the "friend of a friend's gun" stories wouldn't put me off of buying another Beretta.  

Curious to hear what those "same 692 problems" are. If you mean ejector-issues, the problems being "the same" would be surprising, as the designs are quite different.

While on the grand scheme of things my experience doesn't count for much, I still shoot a 692 that has worked flawlessly from the get-go. Selectable ejectors and all. I do take care of it, and did buy extra o-rings just in case (given that those can fail, if left to dry). I just check every once in a while, apply a bit of grease and so far there's no need for replacement. The only part i did replace part is the fore-end, but only because I prefer a beavertail. Could be that I'm lucky, but the "friend of a friend's gun" stories wouldn't put me off of buying another Beretta.  
Not ejectors...ALL the other issues Gun won't close,Gun won't open,Gun won't fire...dealer who sold one of the guns was right there and didn't seem surprised.

Two the same in one day doesn't bode well.

Somebody has to get the lucky one😁

Latest posts

Back