Left handed confusion...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PFaragherPGA

Hi all,

After a bit of advice. I’m at the point now where I’m ready to take the plunge and purchase my first shotgun. As I’m left handed I have generally been advised to pick something up that is LH orientation. (So far so good). I went to my local clay ground and asked the guys in the shop if they were able to order in a left handed 525 sporter as I’m fairly certain this is the gun for me. I was then told that told no they don’t order guns in and in actual fact there is no such thing as a left handed 525 sporter and a right handed one would fit me all the same  

Can anyone shed any light on this ? Were they simply trying to sell me a gun that they happened to have in stock or is there no such thing as a lefty sporter?

I hope this all makes sense and any advice that you guys have would be appreciated.

Happy shooting

Peter

If you go onto Gun Trader ,  do a search , and set the filters to include LH . You will find a number of brand new 525 guns listed as LH .  
I have a seen a number on this site and thought that it was straight forward. This particular firearms dealer was trying to tell me that browning don’t actually make a left handed variant. Surely this can’t be true?

I have a seen a number on this site and thought that it was straight forward. This particular firearms dealer was trying to tell me that browning don’t actually make a left handed variant. Surely this can’t be true?
It’s definitely not true. Not only do  Browning list them on their website, so to do Premier Guns, The Sportsman Gun Centre, T & JJ McAvoy et.al. 

Further more I was shooting a left handed B525 last week and I’ve just ordered one!

Ive also spoken to the importer BWM Arms and they told me that 28” barrelled are ex-stock while 30” are available from mid October.

The RFD either is lacking knowledge or lacking integrity. Either way, they’d not get a penny of my money (if I knew who they are)

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s pretty  simple really , buy the gun from someone who wants to sell you what you want .   As the dealer you are talking to had told you that he won’t order one for you , go to someone local who will .  If they are willing to mislead you on this , what else have they got up their sleeves ? 

Thanks guys, it did ring alarm bells when he just happened to have one in RH that would fit me perfectly .. Unfortunately it’s my local clay ground and I did want to support them. Cheers for the advice 👍

Go back to.the shop and tell them they are either rip off merchants or that they have no idea what there talking about. Yes you hear stories of lefties shooting rh guns very well BUT it is despite of the fact that the gun doesnt fit not because of. Any so called dealer / gunsmith who avtively encourages a new shooter to purchase a gun that is totally wrong for them just because they have it in stock should be named and shamed because i for one do not want anything to do with them.

True 'Left handed' or just a left handed stock????? There is a difference

• Thanks
Reactions: PKB
Regardless of “true left hand” being different from a left hand stock, why would a reputable RFD try to sell a true right hand or right hand stock to a customer who has made it clear they require a “LH orientation” [sic] shotgun? 

Sure, they could explain the difference between the two, but to say “there is no such thing as a left handed 525 sporter” is at the very least poor selling skills. A sales person qualifies the customers needs, identified products that beat meet those needs, explain the features and the benefits thereof of said features. In this instance, at best the sales person simply made assumptions and dismissed the opportunity to sell to a bonafide customer. At worst, it shows lack of integrity. 

Either way they wouldn’t get my money either as a customer or as an employer. This is just so very much below par

Could be the 'cast' that's the 'slight curve' of the stock so it fit's into the shooter's shoulder pocket more naturally

Could be that the palm-swell in the grip is positioned differently

Could be that the top lever operates in the opposite direction

On a Semi-auto the empty shell ejection port could be on the opposite side of the action.

'Could be' because not all the characteristics are present in all fully-handed guns - plus there are some where someone has just swapped the stock....

Given the original post references specifically a Browning B525 in left hand, this would mean right hand opening, left hand cast, no palm swell. Pretty simple stuff that can be gleaned from numerous sources, including Browning’s own publications. I assumed the original poster was looking to place an order for a new gun, but about 1 in 10 B525s are left hand and are reasonably plentiful on the used market  

Hi, I also had similar experience from a shooting ground with shop, it was in Leicestershire, they didn't say they wouldn't order one in but insisted that the 525 had a straight stock, it did feel ok, but without a left handed stock to compare against I couldn't tell. I obviously didn't buy the one they were trying to sell, and now need to find a left handed gun to try.

Hi, I also had similar experience from a shooting ground with shop, it was in Leicestershire, they didn't say they wouldn't order one in but insisted that the 525 had a straight stock, it did feel ok, but without a left handed stock to compare against I couldn't tell. I obviously didn't buy the one they were trying to sell, and now need to find a left handed gun to try.
Might be worth contacting Derek Lee gunshop in Lincs. He's a lefty too and may be able to help. 

Funnily enough i am also based in Leicestershire. Overall I am just disappointed that a dealer felt the need to be dishonest. Certainly as someone who works in the golf industry where there are a staggering number of parallels to shooting, having any equipment that fits you is a must. Will be taking all advice received and taking my business elsewhere! 

Reactions: ips
Buy a lefty, then take it in to the shop at the ground you shoot at and whilst browsing casually bring it out and mention in passing that you managed to get one, brandishing it in it's glory. Wait for the reaction to them losing a sale. ;)

Hi I am a lefty and have shot Browning for years they do manufacture left hand guns or should I say stocks cast for left hand and with palm swells the top lever will be for right handed shooters but no problem to get used to .A friend recently ordered a left handed 525 pro sport with delivery around Xmas .Derek Lee has stocked some lefties and I think Premier Guns do Coleys also do.

Beware. Over the years a couple of mates have been sold so called left hand guns( stocks) by some very very high profile shops. Only to find they are in fact right hand cast.  Even if they tell you it's left hand. Double check. 

Jasper. 

Back