New to Trap Shooting, Barrel O/U?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbdjr

New O/U Browning 725, I need to pattern the gun, But is there a barrel preference or choice that trapper shooters use upper or lower barrel? I believe I will be able to tell more after I pattern it?

16 yards Trap stations

For trap, as with all disciplines, you should shoot bottom barrel first for the simple reason that recoil is better transmitted straight back into the shoulder, reducing muzzle flip between shots. If you can, lock your barrel selector off to prevent mistakes.

Pattern your gun carefully and ideally under the watchful eye of a shooter or coach that understands shot placement. Once you have a choke and cartridge combination that provides dense and even patterns stick with it. Don’t be tempted to switch brands or go for a cheaper load without checking performance first.

How does that work with sporting when you literally might need either barrel depending on what choke you have in??
As I'm sure you know, fixed choke guns generally have an open choke in the bottom barrel and tighter in the top, we might do the same with multi-chokes out of tradition, but there are no rules. We are advised to shoot bottom barrel first by those who know, for the theory stated above, but If you rock up to a stand with a long first target, of course you would use the barrel selector to select the tighter choke for the first shot and to hell with the consequences :cool: ,  live dangerously El Spavo!.

I dont dispute the bottom barrel producing less recoil statement however i do not think that its particularly valid with todays relatively light and smooth loads. 30 yrs ago when we used 32g maybe... But for whatever reason in trap it is accepted that you shoot bottom barrell first

I've never been able to tell the difference between top/bottom barrel no matter the load.  I have guns both ways and if I don't look I don't know.  But I am an insensitive clot in many ways and this may just be part of that.  My two faves are both top first FWIW.

For some time the top first was in vogue on the basis of that recoil thing that I don't feel.  Top barrel got a so-so load and the bottom got a hammer.  That got to be less a consideration I suppose when more people figured out that the recoil is NBD.

JMO of course

Last edited by a moderator:
Patterned it Friday morning  , and seemed to hit 3 inches to left of center approx , dead on height approx, at 20 yards, made a small adjustment up with comb and moved it to the right about 1/4"  re-shot  it and 60/40 pattern above,  but still would say it was still a bit on the left of center,  but left it and wanted to try it to see how I hit them on trap range before I made more  adjustments. This was with the IM choke in bottom.

Ok shot 50 Friday eve , and 50 Sun day morning.

Friday night hit 45/50 with IM choke in bottom barrel,

Sunday morning hit 45/50 with Full choke in bottom barrel.

Sunday  I did powder a few , but in the end same outcome. I think Im still getting use to this Browning 725 HR adjustable 32" and I am liking it more and more.

ok so do I keep the IM in bottom barrel or put the full in and hopefully will improvement will come with practice.

3/4 bottom full top shoot bottom first. This is the standard set up for trap. 

Back