British Open - High Lodge

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
We shot this yesterday, never been to high Lodge before either. Nice ground and facilities. Round was very tricky and technical, not many big targets just stuff to trip you up a bit really. Felt a little bit like a normal registered rather than a major championship.

For me the biggest problem with this shoot and the reason I believe there has been a fair bit of availability for spaces is the location. High Lodge is a lovely ground but it's location within the country is terrible to attract people to go. If a ground more central in the UK and closer to motorway network had the shoot, I think it would have had a lot more people interested in going. 

We shot this yesterday, never been to high Lodge before either. Nice ground and facilities. Round was very tricky and technical, not many big targets just stuff to trip you up a bit really. Felt a little bit like a normal registered rather than a major championship.

For me the biggest problem with this shoot and the reason I believe there has been a fair bit of availability for spaces is the location. High Lodge is a lovely ground but it's location within the country is terrible to attract people to go. If a ground more central in the UK and closer to motorway network had the shoot, I think it would have had a lot more people interested in going. 
Yeah we all love sitting on motorways.... not

Only issue with holding these events at a ground more central to the UK is that’s where more people live and will complain about the noise and possibly have restrictions put on the ground. There isn’t a easy solution to this in a country that doesn’t see shooting events in a positive manner 🤔

Just depends on the day.
That's exactly what I mean. Someone could quite possibly have shot less than you 'on the same day' in A class and still qualified for finals day...and come back and nick a medal/cash, in class. That is how farcical this competition is.

To be fair to High Lodge & CPSA this event sold out, the number of spaces “suddenly” available (twitter & Facebook) are very few given daily numbers of 200+ Yes that part of the country is a big trek for the vast majority, yet still the sold out poster was up very quickly, oh I didnt go, it would, as for many, been all day mostly on the road, my decision more that Im shooting like a plank which would have irked me more than the driving. 

As another in this thread has pointed out, grounds able to run this type of event are few and very far between, am hoping all enjoyed the adventure. 

That's exactly what I mean. Someone could quite possibly have shot less than you 'on the same day' in A class and still qualified for finals day...and come back and nick a medal/cash, in class. That is how farcical this competition is.
Mate your on fire 🔥 at present, finals day & shoot off would have been in the bag😉

Mate your on fire 🔥 at present, finals day & shoot off would have been in the bag😉
Richie, as you know I'm not against qualification days, I just don't agree with the way qualification is done, so will not shoot it.

But then again as of next year I will be eligible for the double entry, so if you you can't beat 'em, join 'em. I think not. :smile:

Shot it today and I thought it was a really good layout. Good mix of targets and nothing extreme. Good job High Lodge. 

Good luck tomorrow to all of those that have rightfully qualified to shoot in the finals for the CLASS medals  :good: , and not sneaked in through the back door in CATEGORY. :no:

After starting my shooting journey in January and throwing myself in to the deep end we skip forward 8 months and I attempted this on Wednesday,  although an appalling score was put in i didn’t come last overall ( I was expecting to )

I managed to straight a stand and shoot one less target than mr Digweed on another so I’ll take that 🤣. I very much enjoyed the experience shooting it with a good friend and my brother, I’ll definitely be booking a place for next years event. 

I may not have been anywhere near placing in the competition but I challenged myself and completed it 😁😌😎

the round Has also set a score to beat at next years event. Best I start practicing a bit more. 

I shot this on Thursday and did very badly with it being my lowest score ever in this type of competition, I found it very difficult with barely 3 stands with 'gimmees' for a c class shooter.

As for attendance, when I looked on the website to remind myself of my start time there wasn't one space available.  Shooting in my squad was a German lady who had only recently booked, and was unable to find a squad with two spaces in so she could shoot it with her husband, so he shot an hour earlier than my time. She got 90 which I thought was a pretty good score for someone from a country which doesn't have much English Sporting available.

Back