Geordieboy

Caesar Guerini Guns; - Opinions?

Geordieboy

So then, Seen a Guerini Maxum which was a trap gun and I picked it up and it fitted me a right treat.  Does anybody shoot one?  What sort of reliability do they have?  How good are they and do they pattern well?

Thoughts, Opinions are welcome.

tiptop

Had 2 CG's, Summit ascent and the Invictus ascent. Both great guns and never had any issues with either of them. I was talking to Kevin Gill a couple of weeks ago at Owls lodge, their next offering coming to market is the 'M' spec with the adjustable DTS monte carlo stock.

• Like 1

Geordieboy

Cheers for that.  I'm sort of 'thinking' about a sideplate trappy type gun to use for game.  The one I picked up at the weekend at 8.5lbs would have worked a treat.  I didn't shoot it however, and thats where the secret lies.....

No Bunny

@Finners loves his CG...  I'm sure he'll have an opinion.  :) 

• Like 1

Westward

I've had a Challenger for 3½ years and nothing has failed. I quite fancy an Invictus III but despite having tried virtually everything else I've no desire at all for any other make of mid market gun.

Even though the action is a variant of the Italian standard Rizzini design, IMO the fit, finish and build quality are unmatched in any gun from any maker at the Summit through to Maxum price levels.

All the original range from Summit to Forum use the same action regardless of bling level and all are very smooth to shoot with good handling and very nice clean, light trigger pulls. They really do make most of the competitive guns feel pretty agricultural in comparison. As for the patterns, the supplied Maxis competition chokes are so good that very few CG owners seem to fit aftermarket chokes.

• Like 1

Doctor Lecter

check out Lloyd Patterson's reviews on the summit accent     :cheer: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Geordieboy
13 hours ago, Westward said:

I've had a Challenger for 3½ years and nothing has failed. I quite fancy an Invictus III but despite having tried virtually everything else I've no desire at all for any other make of mid market gun.

Even though the action is a variant of the Italian standard Rizzini design, IMO the fit, finish and build quality are unmatched in any gun from any maker at the Summit through to Maxum price levels.

All the original range from Summit to Forum use the same action regardless of bling level and all are very smooth to shoot with good handling and very nice clean, light trigger pulls. They really do make most of the competitive guns feel pretty agricultural in comparison. As for the patterns, the supplied Maxis competition chokes are so good that very few CG owners seem to fit aftermarket chokes.

Cheers Westward.  I'm shooting a Browning Pro-Trap very well at present and that is now my go to Clay gun, but I still shoot a trap gun better than a sporter (I like a flat comb).  The Guerini would seem like a pretty enough gun to take on a game shoot

Doctor Lecter

orston have a gureni evening   30th august .   try a few !    :clapping:

Jeremy Baker

I had CGs for years  

Two Summits and an Ellipse 

all Ascent barrels Cracking guns with service that many manufacturers would should attain too provide

Geordieboy
1 hour ago, Jeremy Baker said:

I had CGs for years  

Two Summits and an Ellipse 

all Ascent barrels Cracking guns with service that many manufacturers would should attain too provide

Cheers Jeremy,

The invictus 3 and 7 seem like robust specimens with enough bling to take on a pheasant shoot.  I don't want a game gun, I want a Sporting gun to shoot game with.  Preferably with a trap stock!

Westward
2 hours ago, Geordieboy said:

The invictus 3 and 7 seem like robust specimens with enough bling to take on a pheasant shoot.  I don't want a game gun, I want a Sporting gun to shoot game with.  Preferably with a trap stock!

I doubt if anyone has a wider range of choices than CG. Hope it works out for you.

Hamster

There was an exceedingly nice Invictus III in Southdown's gun shop for £4200 brand new and unfired, retail about a grand more I believe for this particular model with multi chokes and extra engraving, it won't be there long. 

ColinD

Shame it's 32'' barrels

Hamster
36 minutes ago, ColinD said:

Shame it's 32'' barrels

Most clay shooters prefer 32", 99% of the top ones use them.

• Like 1

Geordieboy
14 hours ago, Hamster said:

There was an exceedingly nice Invictus III in Southdown's gun shop for £4200 brand new and unfired, retail about a grand more I believe for this particular model with multi chokes and extra engraving, it won't be there long. 

Cheers for that.  It'd be a 32" for me everyday.  I checked the Guerini website and it states their stock dimensions as 37mm/57mm.  Typically, this is similar to Berettas and that is too low for me.  I need a flat 35mm/35mm trap stock.  I will however, call Anglo Italian Arms and see what stocks they have.  If they have a trap stock then it will be worth taking a look!

Hamster
9 minutes ago, Geordieboy said:

Cheers for that.  It'd be a 32" for me everyday.  I checked the Guerini website and it states their stock dimensions as 37mm/57mm.  Typically, this is similar to Berettas and that is too low for me.  I need a flat 35mm/35mm trap stock.  I will however, call Anglo Italian Arms and see what stocks they have.  If they have a trap stock then it will be worth taking a look!

Good luck with that, I tried for weeks to get them to take my money to no avail. CG have a well deserved reputation for customer service and mending guns but trying to get them to understand I wanted a Trap stock on a low rib Invictus was painful, I gave up. 

Geordieboy
Just now, Hamster said:

Good luck with that, I tried for weeks to get them to take my money to no avail. CG have a well deserved reputation for customer service and mending guns but trying to get them to understand I wanted a Trap stock on a low rib Invictus was painful, I gave up. 

Cheers for that Hamster.  They are only 14 miles away from where I work currently.  I'll call them, and go and see them.  A face to face is always good to get a clear point across.  E-mails, Texts and chats can all be ignored.  A jolly Geordie stood in front of you with determined  enthusiasm, definitley cannot!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hamster
7 minutes ago, Geordieboy said:

Cheers for that Hamster.  They are only 14 miles away from where I work currently.  I'll call them, and go and see them.  A face to face is always good to get a clear point across.  E-mails, Texts and chats can all be ignored.  A jolly Geordie stood in front of you with determined  enthusiasm, definitley cannot!!!!!!

No coded messages or e-mails, I had several 10+ minute phone conversations with different people, each denied having heard of the request and one stated they did not do a Trap stock gun period. Hard to believe I know. 

Jeremy Baker
24 minutes ago, Hamster said:

No coded messages or e-mails, I had several 10+ minute phone conversations with different people, each denied having heard of the request and one stated they did not do a Trap stock gun period. Hard to believe I know. 

Alistair is the man to speak to he generally gets stuff done. 

tiptop
1 hour ago, Hamster said:

How strange. When I was talking to Kevin a couple of weeks ago, he told me that the M spec with the monte carlo adustable dts stock that is coming to market, all came about by chance, as a customer had requested to to try one. So Anglo Italian fitted one to a flat rib gun and it just seemed right. 

Must keep an eye out for this as it may lure me back.

Hamster
2 hours ago, tiptop said:

How strange. When I was talking to Kevin a couple of weeks ago, he told me that the M spec with the monte carlo adustable dts stock that is coming to market, all came about by chance, as a customer had requested to to try one. So Anglo Italian fitted one to a flat rib gun and it just seemed right. 

Must keep an eye out for this as it may lure me back.

As I've written here and elsewhere before, I spoke to at least two different people and asked in no uncertain or vague terms that they send down a V as well as a regular M spec Invictus both fixed choke and both low ribs with Trap stocks. One said Trap stocks meant for the high rib versions could not physically be fitted to the Invictus (understandable as it wouldn't provide the correct sight picture in any case and wasn't what I was requesting), the other said they didn't do a "high" stock and that they were so clever they'd already fitted the M spec with the kind of high stock that many people prefer, he was fibbing. 

It is possible of course that they've subsequently read my polite protestations and coupled to other shooters who have no doubt told them their stock is TOO BLOODY LOW, have decided to pretend they thought of it and attempted to bring one out. 

The guns they sent down both went back as they were too low even for people who would normally not necessarily want a Trappy configuration.  

• Like 1

Geordieboy

Apologise. No chance to call them today. I'll have a bash tomorrow.....work permitting....

Geordieboy
On 8/28/2019 at 12:29 PM, Doctor Lecter said:

orston have a gureni evening   30th august .   try a few !    :clapping:

Not a bad idea that. Its 54 miles away but on fast Dual carriageway.

Finners

Hi, I can only repeat and concour with what's been said already. Speak to Alistair at Anglo and go visit them if you can. They are extremely helpful and I'm sure will do everything possible to get you sorted. Obviously they are importers, so can't sell you a gun directly, but I'm pretty sure the RFD next door sells CG's. 

As for the guns themselves, in my humble, they are superb quality. My Maxum is about 12 or 13 years old and has been utterly faultless. But the real jewel in the CG crown is the service from Anglo Italian, they are simply unbeatable. 

Best of luck. 

Geordieboy

So then, turned up at Orston at about 6pm. They had the full range there for me to look at and the Ascent Stocked Invictus 7 with flat rib. Nick Hendrick set it up and it felt like mine from the off.

Shot the pool shoot next to the clubhouse with some deliberately thumpy shells and I was pleasantly surprised. Recoil was non existent, the shot sequence crisp and short. The gun at 8lbs 5ozs is almost 10ozs lighter than my Browning Pro Trap, but the gun was steady. First 2 targets I was on the edge of the pattern but adjusting to the new gun I battered the rest. Changing to my Superbs, the gun was sweet to shoot with trigger pulls light and outstanding, like my perazzi.

The half chokes broke the long birds with aplomb and I felt like I could shoot this all day. Lovely gun. Great triggers, Light in my hands but steadier on the long birds than my Perazzi. 

For me, I'd have to have a stock made. The Ascent monte carlo adjustable did the trick and for Clay's in that guise is excellent. But I want it for game as well and a flat 35mm/35mm stock is what I'd have personally.

For Clay's, if you like a trappy sporter, have a look. Its a cracking gun, with great looks, great triggers (Browning take heed), with great patterns and removes recoil. I love it!

A simple call to them and they made that gun up for me and waited until 6pm for me to turn up. I for one can't fault them. Thanks Cesar Guerini!

• Like 8