Blaserf16

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill.rosa

Hi everyone am thinking of changing my dt10 which has been double firing and L am worried that this may be the start of more trouble to come the gun is back from gmk so hopefully will be okay for a while my question is would I be better advised to trade on the dt10 which I like very much for a new Blaser f16

many thanks your comments would be appreciated 

Bill Banks

Hi everyone am thinking of changing my dt10 which has been double firing and L am worried that this may be the start of more trouble to come the gun is back from gmk so hopefully will be okay for a while my question is would I be better advised to trade on the dt10 which I like very much for a new Blaser f16

Bill Banks
Such a personal choice Bill. No right answer. If you’re in the market, go and try a few different guns. Somewhere like Churchill’s where they have a ground and a gun shop. Personally I think F16 is a real contender. 

Bill Banks
The F16 is on my own 'to do' list. In fact I have taken the good advice of @Will Hewland and I'll be shooting one at E J Churchill's on Tuesday afternoon, back to back with a Browning B525 at Royal Berkshire and a Beretta 692 at Sporting Targets in the morning. As a bit of a wild card, I hope to get a chance to try a Caesar Guerini Summit Sporting  at some point too.

According to Blaser, the F16 has been designed to reduce the possibility of double and fan firing; though I have read elsewhere this has happened on some older F3's.

In my mind, ultimately a shotgun is a block of fancy shaped timber followed by a lump on decorated metal and couple of tubes in which a fire is started at one end, the resultant expanding gasses shoving out some balls at the other in the general direction of some pottery.

It appears to me the main price differentiators are how fancy is the wood and how fancy is the decoration. Other than that there appears to be very little to separate one over another, other than how they feel to use such as trigger pull, balance etc which is apparently all quite arbitrary and to personal taste.

It is for these latter reasons I rather like the F16 and the B525. I have never liked the fit of any Beretta (including a DT10) from the very first moment I picked one up, though it's the gun I have used the most. I also don't get along with the Browning B725 for its ballance.

I don't want to buy fancy wood or fancy metalwork. I can't justify it or afford it for that matter. Besides, such indulgences are really not me. I'm a bit more art deco than art nouveau.

Last edited by a moderator:
Horses for courses, I like my DT10 and I am not fond of the F16 preferring the F3 if I had to choose, far better of the two that’s a personal opinion.

I also don't get along with the Browning B725 for its ballance.
Haven't shot one for a while, but what about the balance bothers you cos I've just added a lump to my 525 as it was hugely barrel heavy and it's now feeling very nicely balanced? Also, as far as I'm aware, there's a fair difference in price between an F16 and a B525 so I presume money isn't particularly a driving factor, to a point? (looked at an F16 in William Evans today... hope you don't mind the lettering stickers falling off the actions as amazingly that seems common!)

@El Spavo Yes, it’s strange. The B525 feels perfectly balanced in standard trim to me while the 725 feels very forward heavy. I guess I need to try the 725 with some stock balance mass added?

You’re right about the F16 looking tardy all too quickly, especially when you consider the brand premium. It is something I can forgive though. And price up to a point as you say is less of a factor in decision making. I could buy a pair of 525’s and have change for the price of a F16 and to be fair, I doubt the F16 would make me shoot any better. I’m afraid common sense isn’t all that common and in this case lust is proving difficult to ignore. 

I have actually decided I’ll be getting a 525 anyway as I seem to have gotten my son interested and the F16 will follow in the spring. 

Yup, at some point, ten years or so, i dunno, I'm gonna probably start trying other shotguns, and the F16 would be up there if I was looking now but at the moment I just can't see what something else will give me that my cheap, reliable 525 doesn't. I'm not good enough or knowledgable enough (or have enough money!) to be descerning, so I may be a gun for life guy, but who knows.

At the mo, I know I'm enjoying what I got and yesterday shot a LOT better than the two guys in front of me with an F3 and a Perazzi (Emperors new clothes?), so just go with what feels right and don't let the prospect of an expensive gun make you believe that's the golden ticket to glory. I'm thinking you're relatively novice like myself, so just get summat you like and enjoy it. :)

...there's a reason the 525 is the best selling over-under in the country. ;)

@El Spavo Absolutely. I actually shot my best with a 525 and the same basic gun got Sam Green to a world championship winner, or rather he got the gun there. 

Move seen guys like Mark Winser shoot from hip, overhead etc. Honestly I don’t believe any gun would make a difference to me. Maybe if I was regularly hitting >97/100 then I might notice a trigger pull here or a lock time there. 

I once read somewhere about George Digweed using someone else’s gun to hit some far off fast crossers the the owner, himself a champion could not hit. 

Who knows, maybe the F16 in spring for me will turn out to be a F16 for my son or another B525. I really do like them and the more I get familiar with it the less ‘sexy’ the F16 becomes. 

Maybe Browning trigger pulls aren’t the best or so I’m informed, but they seem ok to my novice hands and having worked with mechanical things for over four decades I would think I can legitimately claim to have a sensitive feel. Besides, I wouldn’t have any apprehension in tweaking the gizzards if so required. 

I’ve tested a few guns now and apart from the size of the woodwork they all pretty much do the same thing which is throw some lead at some crockery. I really think if I can’t make the difference then I’m fooling myself if I were to think some metal tubes, some springs and leavers and a bit of woodwork could make up for my shortcomings. 

Aside from patterns testing combinations I can’t see much else being significant. To me if you can hit the target in the centre with the centre of the pattern 9/10 then you’ve got what it takes. Otherwise you’re depending on a lot of variables with much less significance marking up the deficit. 

Of course with my very limited experience and knowledge I’m probably taking out of my backside but no man has ever gotten the better of the laws of physics 

I have actually decided I’ll be getting a 525 anyway as I seem to have gotten my son interested and the F16 will follow in the spring. 
Just to chuck a spanner in the works . Have a look at Miroku guns . Obviously the “balance”  will be more or less the same as the 525 , as Miroku build them both  . However Miroku guns in the MK60 and MK70 variants tend to have a different feel due to the stock grip designs being a little slimmer and differently  radiused . The MK38  sporter is a heavier beast .

The fixed choke Miroku MK60 barrels are IMHO are extremely light and pointable . At this point in your shooting career I won’t mention customising a Miroku 38 trap gun as a sporter . 😂 

IMHO you are correct , you can play around with the trigger pulls all you want , and it’s not going to help put the barrels in the right place . 

You won’t go far wrong if you do get a 525 , they are the UK's best selling model for a good reason as were their predecessors , the 325 and 425 . I had my paws on a mint 30” 425 a couple of weeks ago , must have been 20 years old , and someone will still  be putting it to good service in anther 20 years . 

Just a  small point if you are thinking of buying a new Browning ( or indeedMiroku),  and modifying the stock  or trigger pull.  Check what the U.K. importers warranty states about anyone but them modifying the gun . I was specifically warned by two dealers when shopping for a 20g a couple of months ago . 

@MartynB Thanks. I’ll take a look at Miroku for sure. 

I spoke to BWM Arms, the importer about warranty. Basically, I can buy a second stock to modify £430 or £504 for an adjustable comb version for for under £2k I can pretty much get exactly what I want with full warranty 

Yeah, what Martyn said... was close to getting an mk70 or mk38 myself! The 525 sporter ones built after 2015 have adjustable triggers (think I missed out by a few months but not overly bothered) and I'm sure you can buy them with factory adjustable combs which should save a few bucks.

Browning are buggers with their warranties... be careful.

Bought an F16 as my first gun had it balanced from new beautiful gun woodwork amazing engineering put about 700 cartridges through it and just could not get on with it it felt dead to shoot no feel at all got a Browning 725 the Blaser then went through 3 people who all had exactly the same experience with it been told the F3 is a lot better gun though just my experience but heard this from quite a few people.

I bought my gun 6 months ago as I’d been shooting for a year with an ATA 

tried a blazer f16 didn’t like it like n rich said even though Im not experienced it felt dead in my hands 

browning pro sport felt nice but palm swell is too big for me you need shovels 

best beretta for me was a 692 

went with Caesar Guerini summit assent 

just felt right, and someone at a shoot today asked if it was a perazzi 😏

My novice 2 cents of it helps 

Latest posts

Back