Recoil

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lloyd

I've read quite a lot about recoil. What can be done to mitigate it etc. I suppose I may just be lucky or dumb or probably both, but recoil isn't something that has been a bother.

Maybe I just lucked into a good gun fit, or the guns I've tried had good pads. I have no idea. Maybe it's 10,000 rounds of 7.62mm in my youth, but I doubt that with a 9.5lb gas operated semi-auto.

Anyway, one thing I do know is I'm lucky enough to not be one of these guys!

Enjoy

HQVWRJEGII5ZHSSO3F6VGVWQTY.gif

RTQVMR5LM34VKZV5EMZTBWHJYU.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to shoot an off the shelf browning 725 that I was convinced had nowhere near enough cast for me as I would see so much of the side of the gun when I had performed a slight mis-mount.   That would also cause the felt recoil to be quite substantial. Although as a big lad, not enough to be uncomfortable. 

Now I shoot a gun with a custom stock made for me and it fits like a glove. I don't think I've ever not mounted it straight to where I want it, and if it wasn't for the loud bang I'd barely known if it had gone off. Zero recoil. 

Turns out a little more cast was needed. But it was the off the shelf stock being too short which was the main issue. 

I've never shot any firearm/shootgun that has zero recoil, how it's managed helps to reduce it but never zero recoil

There was a guy I used to see at most pigeon shoots.  Had a K80.  Never saw him without a bruised and usually bloody cheek bone.  Seriously.  Never saw him shoot very well either but he said that the K80 was the finest gun he'd ever owned.  I'm pretty sure he voted republican as the signs were all there.

I used to buy Sellier and Bellot from John Longstaff in Pudsey , Leeds,  around 1973 . 75 at a time which let 2 of us shoot  at a local 30 bird straw baler   Fired from a 6lb  Zabala box lock with slack jointing and headspace issues , I think the phrase “ character forming “ is an understatement ! 
A friend of mine got some sellior & bellot  for a local 50 bird club shoot ,.when shooting at a bolting rabbit we were standing to the side of the stand  could see a flash at the breach then two foot of flame from the muzzle we didn't know if he had broken or melted the clay 😀 

I'm the same, in that recoil has never really bothered me. I did however notice the difference when I swapped a previous gun, a Browning 525 for a then new CG Challlenger. Using the same shells, the felt recoil was significantly less. I put it down to a combination of specific design (back bored barrels/longer forcing cones and chokes etc) and I assume the CG was a better fit for me. 

Loved the Challenger, regret selling it. 

A friend of mine got some sellior & bellot  for a local 50 bird club shoot ,.when shooting at a bolting rabbit we were standing to the side of the stand  could see a flash at the breach then two foot of flame from the muzzle we didn't know if he had broken or melted the clay 😀 
Saw a man with a semi auto shoot the S&Bs at clays. There was a muffled pop at the first clay of a pair and a load of confetti appeared at the second clay. He finished the stand and got a big surprise when he noticed a large bulge in the barrel. 

I suppose he was lucky not to have lost some fingers. Finished me with S&Bs and others who saw it.

None of you Guy's have ever used Baikal cartridges then  ??   😄
They were fun in the 70's, amazing the different sounds when fired, from pop to boom, then you would get what we called a "Friday afternoon one" big boom and resulting recoil knocking your sholder back! Everyone would just giggle, then they banned them from most shoots, those were the days!

Years ago the standard load was 1 1/8oz nowdays its 1oz, back then these were considered to be a training load, can't remember any problems with recoil then as there seems to be today!

Now that's some recoil above...

Funny thing, the other week, I was having my first go at a pattern plate... And I'm sure the gun had more recoil, than when I am shooting at clays.

Latest posts

Back