Simulators and other training aids

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lloyd

A month or so back I had an hour on a Marksman ST Simulator, set up to mimic sporting clays. https://www.marksman.se/

The purpose wasn't to practice hitting clays, it was in a gunroom and the shop not having grounds, they use their simulator to allow customers "try out" their stock of guns.

It was an interesting hour, though not very successful in many ways, it did for me at least provide some interesting if not useful feedback.

The system shows an animation (quite a good one) of various targets. In a manner similar to Shotkam, there is a cross hair shown on playback with additional information showing a trace of the gun movement and other arguably less useful information such as gun velocity and acceleration.

My question thus is, has anyone else had experience with simulators like this or other systems and have you found them to be useful?

The one I used is at Wadswick country Store, Corsham, Nr Bath, Wiltshire. Price £60/hr

I’ve used one on a gunfit and gun mount check , for that I suppose it was handy for the guy who was observing me . 

However ,  would I spend £60 for an hour, no £60 will buy me 100 practice clays and cartridges . 

A simulator can’t simulate taking a target 30 metres above your head . It can’t simulate a target coming from behind you and let you see it coming over your shoulder , to pick just two  situations at random .So simulators are actually a bit limited .  With  my Mirokus which need recoil   from the first shot to set the second trigger pull  it’s also a pretty useless exercise if I can’t use the second barrel  . Even with my K80 which has mechanical triggers a second shot would be useless ( even if the  pickup gizmo allows two pulls ) as there would be no recoil from the first barrel to recover from  .

For what it’s worth I’d give it a wide berth  if buying and I’d want to at least have tried a gun going bang for real on real targets .

But that’s just an opinion based on my personal prejudices , not sound science  😀

@martynB I completely agree. I wouldn't say I wasted my money per se as for £60, the novelty factor was worth it, but it isn't something I plan to do again. As you say, you're not really trying the gun at all.

The fancy trace did at least instill a little bit of confidence, learning I had good control; at least with the guns I tried in that situation.

Mostly, I actually missed the outdoors, the bang the smell and the recoil.

I'd be interested to hear people's views on Shotkam as a training aid. Aimcam seem to me to be only useful to make vid-jos  fo' tinternet

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been in the local  gun shop today and was actually speaking to them about the simulator that they have, I’m considering it to see where I may or may not be going wrong. I shall be keeping an eye on this with interest! 

As for shotkam, I have used a friends and I believe in the right hands (for analysing) they would be a very useful tool when giving lesson’s, I was capable of picking out from the footage what I did wrong and was able to correct it next time out.  Overall I’d say a good bit of kit if not slightly expensive. 

I'd sooner spend £60 on a couple of hundred practice clays at Sporting Targets than an hour on a simulator.

With regards to a shotkam or other barrel mounted camera, they have their uses but I'd spend the money on having some decent coaching before getting a camera.

You might be able to see what's going on in front of the gun but you can't see what's happening from behind the gun i.e. The view that someone watching you has.

You could film yourself shooting thousands of clays and might be able to pick up where you missed but that doesn't necessarily tell you why you missed.

Agree with above, would rather go to Sporting Targets and throw £60 at clays. But then again if you want to try a new gun, and they don't have a tester - you got to do what's available...

Agree with above, would rather go to Sporting Targets and throw £60 at clays. But then again if you want to try a new gun, and they don't have a tester - you got to do what's available...
At the time it was more to satisfy my curiosity. I did find it interesting to see the trace of my gun movement with respect to the ‘clay’ though I’m now increasingly able to see where and why I have gone wrong. So I agree, £60 on clays and cartridges is much more interesting and productive

Oh, well perhaps if I ever come across one I'll give it a go, if you came away learning something it must be worth it. 

Seeing the trace of the gun sounds amazing. I'm quite intrigued now... 

when I first saw this thread I thot it said "stimulators" and was really interested in seeing what they were and how they were used!  Imagine my disappointment!

shot cams are pretty cool tho.  a gent I shoot with got one and it was really interesting to see all the goings on.  for a while.  not what you'd call an exciting plot to the story.  I mean, see one miss, see one break, pretty much seen 'em all.

when I first saw this thread I thot it said "stimulators" and was really interested in seeing what they were and how they were used!  Imagine my disappointment!

shot cams are pretty cool tho.  a gent I shoot with got one and it was really interesting to see all the goings on.  for a while.  not what you'd call an exciting plot to the story.  I mean, see one miss, see one break, pretty much seen 'em all.
Much like a a TomCruise film

Latest posts

Back