Seized

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocky

Went to use my 690 yesterday for 1st time in 2 weeks and couldn’t open it, lever was seized. What’s that all about 🤷🏻‍♂️ stupid Italians. 

What condition did you put it away in, wet ?
Must’ve been. I do dry it best I can but I'm not going to strip it down to component level every time. I take the barrels off, clean them, wipe it all dry, re-grease the pivots etc then leave it out in bits for long as is practical to dry out. 

My mate has had plenty of issues with his 692. It’s fallen to bits twice (back to GMK) and he did also have a mysterious period when it just wouldn’t open. The last time it wouldn’t open, it was due to something snapping in half in the mechanism. Great gun to shoot I feel, but not funny if you get a Friday one.

Must’ve been. I do dry it best I can but I'm not going to strip it down to component level every time. I take the barrels off, clean them, wipe it all dry, re-grease the pivots etc then leave it out in bits for long as is practical to dry out. 
If you've done that can't see moisture being the problem, seems a few of the 90 series are having problems by the looks. Shame as their older 80 series seemed to be bomb prof.

You say lever 'was' seized, is it moving now but not opening or still seized. If it's moving but not opening seems the same as Will's mate.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you've done that can't see moisture being the problem, seems a few of the 90 series are having problems by the looks. Shame as their older 80 series seemed to be bomb prof.

You say lever 'was' seized, is it moving now but not opening or still seized. If it's moving but not opening seems the same as Will's mate.
Yes more stuck than seized I suppose, couldn’t move it at all with my thumb so I kicked it across with my boot (I was in a hurry so it got the choice of playing ball or snapping off) and it opened then worked as normal. It’s fine now just wondered if there was more I should’ve done to dry it out.

Can't give you much advice sorry, can strip a smallbore target rifle down, but pretty new to shotguns.Have a 686E and tend to clean after every shoot same as the .22

Yes more stuck than seized I suppose, couldn’t move it at all with my thumb so I kicked it across with my boot (I was in a hurry so it got the choice of playing ball or snapping off) and it opened then worked as normal. It’s fine now just wondered if there was more I should’ve done to dry it out.
Pop the stock off and have a look . Even the best gun shops tend to just sell guns on without a service . You might find nothing , you might find corrosion .  You might find no lube . The bit I’d look at would be the two tapered point  locking bolt  that engages in the barrel lump to keep the gun closed  . If the slots that the projections run in are gunged up that  will effectively make the lever hard to move .  

Gun dealers used to service a new shotgun before it went up for sale, but now most just unpack it and put it together.

Glad its working.. But might be worth having it looked at, incase your at the clay grounds next time it 'seizes'.

I only buy guns from a dealers that has in-house gunsmith. As was said earlier dealers will just unpack guns and put on racks with no checks and in some cases just get it from stockroom as it was delivered. Cars go through a pdi and so should all new guns and even more do used guns.. 

Gun dealers used to service a new shotgun before it went up for sale, but now most just unpack it and put it together.

I only buy guns from a dealers that has in-house gunsmith. As was said earlier dealers will just unpack guns and put on racks with no checks and in some cases just get it from stockroom as it was delivered. Cars go through a pdi and so should all new guns and even more do used guns.. 
Well mine was actually somewhere between the two, he did check a lot of things, greased/oiled where appropriate, checked choke seating & threads etc talking me through it as we went but didn’t go as far as opening the action, I felt ‘looked after’ so to speak so..

The next time I used it the catch did have a slight initial resistance but wasn’t seized but it hadn’t been used in rain so when I get around to it (as you can tell I’m not in love with this gun .) I will give said pivot a good grease up to prevent it seizing after it’s been rained on. Thanks for all advice 👍🏻 

If my gun has had a soaking, I spray all of the metal including inside the the barrels, with WD40,  before I leave the shooting ground. It is also removed from the gunslip as soon as I am in the house. I lay all of the bits on newspaper for as long as possible, before cleaning the entire gun.  

If my gun has had a soaking, I spray all of the metal including inside the the barrels, with WD40,  before I leave the shooting ground. It is also removed from the gunslip as soon as I am in the house. I lay all of the bits on newspaper for as long as possible, before cleaning the entire gun.  
Do you take the stock off the action.

Do you take the stock off the action.
NO  !  Although I recently had to remove the stock due to a sticking bottom firing pin. The bottom pin on my 725 began to stick on the return to the normal cocked position. By not coming fully back, the hammer was moving the pin forward enough to only just mark the cartridge primer and not detonate it.  A quick clean of the pin with some 3 in 1 and fine emery paper soon had it sorted though. I wonder just how many 'NEW' pins have been fitted to guns with a similar problem  ?    🤔

Latest posts

Back