What a waste!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What’s crazy is being in possession of shotgun cartridges without a licence is not an offence so they did not have to give them up. Why did the owners of those cartridges give them to the police. A better solution would have been to give them to a local clay shooting ground......  a waste really.

As for the shotguns , unless they were in a dangerous condition, pass them on to a RFD who could maybe sell them on 

, with any money made returned to the police.

Yup, I guess people may have come across cartridges by being left with them after a family member dies or summat; they're honest and therefore a bit scared of getting in trouble for having them... or their family member was a bit dodgy and the same applied once they'd gone! :D

Seriously, you'd have thought there must have been some community way that this stuff could have become useful instead of just trashing it all, even if for environmental reasons.

My rfd has a t least on day a month that he spends cutting up cheap crap/unviable guns i have seen very large piles,very few people want the sort of guns usually handed in and it is cheaper than paying an RFD to dispose of them.

........few people want the sort of guns usually handed in and it is cheaper than paying an RFD to dispose of them.
I suspect this is genrally the case for guns taken from criminals or just handed in. 

However, my late Brother was about to have his gun removed, fair play to the FEO who contacted me and allowed me time to take possession. My Brother never touched that gun again, it was sold after he died. The money raised (over £1000) was shared between his Girls. Had the FEO just taken it, it would have ended up as scrap. I'm fairly sure this happens quite often. 

Looking at the picture most of it is a load of old rubbish. Air pistols, BB guns and crappy old shotguns, some probably so worn they’re out of proof. Probably not worth giving to an RFD. 

As for the cartridges, that’ll be borne of ignorance. Most folk (including the police)  have no idea you can possess them without a certificate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark Ridley, temporary assistant chief constable, said: “Illegally held firearms can cause great harm to the communities we serve.

“These are now firearms that can no longer pose a threat and I would like to thank everyone who brought guns in.

Wheeew - what a relief ! ! !

I'll rest easier knowing that my friends in England are safer now

Mark Ridley, temporary assistant chief constable, said: “Illegally held firearms can cause great harm to the communities we serve.

“These are now firearms that can no longer pose a threat and I would like to thank everyone who brought guns in.

If only they could convince the criminals to hand them in!

To be fair to the West Yorkshire Police Force , they do run these amnesties every couple of years or so . It does get unlicensed and unwanted guns out of circulation. 

Even an air pistol in the wrong hands can kill a child . Fair enough the Cops tend to collect junk , but there will be viable firearms in there as well . Every gun out of he hands of an unlicensed owner is IMHO a very good thing . 

Last edited by a moderator:
Even an air pistol in the wrong hands can kill a child . Fair enough the Cops tend to collect junk , but there will be viable firearms in there as well . Every gun out of he hands of an unlicensed owner is IMHO a very good thing . 
I could go with that if the cops auctioned off the good stuff to licensed persons but they don't even do that here

Well looking at the picture I would say there really is not much of a waste there. I can't see any of that rubbish that would need to be taking up room in my cabinets. Also I always believed that gun amnesty is in place 365 days a year. If you find a gun in grandads loft after he has passed or in other circumstances where you never actually stored the gun for years you could hand it to police or an rfd without fear of prosecution. 

Looking at the picture most of it is a load of old rubbish. Air pistols, BB guns and crappy old shotguns, some probably so worn they’re out of proof. Probably not worth giving to an RFD. 

As for the cartridges, that’ll be borne of ignorance. Most folk (including the police)  have no idea you can possess them without a certificate.
You can buy cartridges witout a shotgun certificate at any shooting club too! 

Latest posts

Back