Eley Titanium

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geordieboy

So then, I've been shooting my Superbs for some time now as my go to shell for everything.  As part of my purchase, I bought 1000 Eley Titaniums to use for those extra Big or long Slow Edgy things that sometimes pop up on Sporting shoots.  Prior to this, I patterned the shell at Sporting targets (38.2yds) with 3/4 choke in my 725 Pro-Trap.  The pattern was 80% within 24".......Full Choke is 70% within 30".  So, its damn tight!!!!  Lovely even pattern with the shell, smooth to shoot.  The breaks are nothing short of wonderful at range.  At Northampton, they threw at chondel at about 90yds last weekend and you'd have been forgiven for thinking I had shot it at 30yds the break was that good.  They also threw a midi teal which I managed to break at about 60yds..........and all 4 dusted.  They are holding the pattern such a long way out and the breaks are testament to that.  I don't have pockets deep enough to just shoot these, however as a sporting shooter, I'd still shoot the Superbs at 90% of targets as I have such confidence in them and my breaks are confidence inspiring.  However, I have a long range shell that I have shot 500 of now, and I am more than happy.

I am loving both the Superbs and these Titaniums.  Well Done ELEY!!!!!!!!

Now........wheres my sponsorship..........😎

IMG-20190421-WA0003.jpeg

In all fairness Full choke is supposed to give 70% inside 30" at 40 yards anyway. 

Is that pattern tight because of the shell , or is it primarily the function of the Browning choke tube ? Did you ever pattern the 3/4 tube at the same distance with other shells ? 

Thats what I said.

This gives 80% within a 24" circle. So its tighter..........
I've re-read what you wrote and I understand it better now, if the shells (or the choke for that matter) are printing 80% inside 24" then it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that it must be something approaching 90%+ inside 30" (which is used as the standard comparison). Not saying the figures are optimistic but if they truly are performing at that level then it's the absolute tightest I've heard or read about, ever, 75% inside 30" is about the maximum that's generally thought to be possible using the very best of everything. 

I personally find regular Full choke performance unusable at ordinary ranges even with cheap shells, these must be nearasdamit like bullets at 25 yards ! 

Will get me some and try, you never know maybe those 65 yard Teal will get easier. 

I agree these things would be a hinderance on most targets. Developing a bullet made of pellets isn’t usually what you need as Hamid says. And if I come across a truly extreme target I find the biggest asset I have is a calm head. Dropping a super shell in the gun is a complete distraction to me, so I almost always stick to one shell with a proven even pattern and accept that it may be a bit sparse “out there”. However, I can’t recall the last time I felt I needed more shell to hit what I’m shooting. Even at FITASC I find the longest targets are face-on so tight pattern isn’t critical, as long as you don’t demand a cloud of soot.

In summary, shells such as these really are expensively solving a problem I don’t have. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that pattern tight because of the shell , or is it primarily the function of the Browning choke tube ? Did you ever pattern the 3/4 tube at the same distance with other shells ? 
Yes I did.  The Eley Superb gives an 80% pattern within the 30%, so the barrels and tubes pattern tight.  The half patterns spot on at 60% with an ELEY Superb. 

The Titanium throws a tighter pattern than the Superb.

Funny thing is.......the 3/4 choke measures the same as a 3/8th, but patterns like a Super Full.  

I've re-read what you wrote and I understand it better now, if the shells (or the choke for that matter) are printing 80% inside 24" then it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that it must be something approaching 90%+ inside 30" (which is used as the standard comparison). Not saying the figures are optimistic but if they truly are performing at that level then it's the absolute tightest I've heard or read about, ever, 75% inside 30" is about the maximum that's generally thought to be possible using the very best of everything. 

I personally find regular Full choke performance unusable at ordinary ranges even with cheap shells, these must be nearasdamit like bullets at 25 yards ! 

Will get me some and try, you never know maybe those 65 yard Teal will get easier. 
As I said earlier, I wouldn't use them for everything.  The Superbs are giving me such awesome patterns and breaks, and are easy to shoot, that I will be using them for 90% of everything.

I will buy 12000 Superbs and 1500 Titaniums at Christmas when I put my order in.  They are only for the big stuff, and boy do they break.  Cartridges are very marmite things.  What is one mans Nirvana is another mans Devil.  HOwever, in both my Perazzi and my Browning..........they give great patterns.  My Perazzi patterns 80% within the 30" with its 5/8th choke.......

Great you dont have that problem Will.

I can vouch for std shells at range. I have got my selector switch the wrong way round, and instead of shooting 9s and cylinder at a fast driven,.......I've shot that barrel at a 70yd midi teal......and broken it....several times.......badly.....but broken nonetheless!

Unfortunately I prefer the right hammer for the job.....the big one 😈.....in this case 😁

Titanium update;

Bought 800 Titaniums off a lad who didn't get on with them.  He'd had them since last year and said they were 'Bumpy'.  I've shot his for the past 2 weeks and I have to say that he was right.  They're too punchy!  My other ones which came from the factory in June this year are a much smoother shell.  Seems like ELEY have altered them a tad.  Both break clays with aplomb, but the later ones are definitely nicer to shoot.

You could argue that anybody paying the extreme cost for these needs a good "bump". Might knock some sense into them.. 😄

You could argue that anybody paying the extreme cost for these needs a good "bump". Might knock some sense into them.. 😄
I'm a Geordie.  Therefore inherently thick skinned.  In fact I don't need a recoil pad........it just bounces off me.......😏.......as does most things associated with common sense.....😃

As a Magpie........if its Big and Shiny......I need it!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I Keep a box in my Bag for long stuff but I'm to scared to use them because of the price.😀

Back