Advice on coach

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJB Temple

New  forum member and re-starting shooting after a very long break, so back to being a novice.  

In order not to build in random bad habits, I have started with lessons.  My first coach, two lessons was very nice - but not very critical - and I had to change as I wanted to shoot on Fridays when there is a different coach.  My question is - how can I tell, as a novice, whether a coach is any good or not?

The gun was fitted by the shop I bought it from (lots of choice, no pressure) and coach agrees it fits.  I am right eye dominant and right handed.  

I am keen to maximise value from my lessons and building up excellent technique seems to be critically important.  As I am a pianist as well I am well aware of the value of good tuition (as otherwise we just practice our mistakes very often).  But frankly I have no real idea with shooting what to expect.  

Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.  (I live in Kent).  

Thank you.  AJ

It’s a personal one this.. I think you have to trust and believe in the coaches approach. When I started I had various lessons with various people and some may as well have been talking Chinese to me, while others seemed to give advice that made sense and immediately helped me. You will know if it’s working. As you know, it’s all about instilling good method, not immediate outcome, which comes with practice. 

My advice would be find a coach that has a proven record of coaching people to a high standard and has also competed at top level. You have to be able to trust your coach and what he tells you. Good luck the really good ones are few and far between 

Will and Jonz have hit the nail on the head with their comments.

As you're in Kent you've got one of the countries top shots on your doorstep who has his own ground and coaches.

https://www.jbdsporting.co.uk/ 

It's very rare a weekend goes by where he isn't wining something from a normal shoot to a World event.

Thanks all.  The second coach I have had for the last couple of lessons is very clear about why I miss rather than just where.  There is specific and clear advice about what to correct.  The bizarre thing is that I get nervous. Even though the outcome doesn't matter.  Coach thinks this is OK as it shows I care.  I would like to get rid of it and relax.  

My plan is to have a lesson 1 day a week (about an hour is fine - information overload after that) on about 4 traps, and then practice those same 4 traps another day on my own to see if the lesson has sunk in.  

I think I might try another ground as well  as West Kent (which is almost on my doorstep and is friendly) just to get a different perspective.  Canterbury is not a big deal to get to.  

Probably need to find a shooting buddy as well.  

Carl Bloxham shooting ground near Stratford has closed.  I was brought up not far from there but I suspect travelling time for Carl would be cost prohibitive. 

Thanks all.  The second coach I have had for the last couple of lessons is very clear about why I miss rather than just where.  There is specific and clear advice about what to correct.  The bizarre thing is that I get nervous. Even though the outcome doesn't matter.  Coach thinks this is OK as it shows I care.  I would like to get rid of it and relax.  

My plan is to have a lesson 1 day a week (about an hour is fine - information overload after that) on about 4 traps, and then practice those same 4 traps another day on my own to see if the lesson has sunk in.  

I think I might try another ground as well  as West Kent (which is almost on my doorstep and is friendly) just to get a different perspective.  Canterbury is not a big deal to get to.  

Probably need to find a shooting buddy as well.  

Carl Bloxham shooting ground near Stratford has closed.  I was brought up not far from there but I suspect travelling time for Carl would be cost prohibitive. 
Apologies AJB didn't know Carl's ground had shut, gone for housing i have just read 

He is still available for coaching and willing to travel to other grounds    

Thanks Diver.  My understanding is West Kent from their rule book only allow their own coaches.  I don't mind spending a bit of cash as realise I can spend a lot of money on clays and cartridges, building in bad habits.  Coaches seem (based on limited experience) to seek to turn me into them.  Not sure about that.  I am an over thinker wishing to be instinctive!    

Don't get too hooked up on being instinctive. To be consistent there needs to be an element of thinking and shot planning. It's only repetition that will give you the confidence to become more fluid in the way you shoot, with thinking done before you've stepped into the cage.

I can recommend Ed Solomons as a coach from personal experience. He hasn't tried to change my technique massively, but he has worked with me to improve my approach and help me to become more consistent. Trouble is, he's Midlands based so a long haul for you if you want weekly coaching. I see him two or three times a year for either half or a while day. The last time I saw him he spotted that I was getting lazy with my hold points and rushing to finish the shot as a result.  Really helped me and my average is climbing as a result.

James Bradley-Day of JBD sporting is Kent based. He's got a great reputation as a coach and is proving all the time what a shot he is. 

He's got his own ground too. 

Thanks Woody.  Doug above also recommended JBD and I will be giving that a go in September. 4 prepaid lessons already booked at West Kent for August as they have a 30%~ discount deal in August.  

Don’t get hung up at all about the coach trying to turn you into him . In 4 sessions , he will probably be taking you from zero , to hitting a clay target , using something simple like  the CPSA method . Some of each lesson will probably be taken up with reinforcing the previous lesson , and correcting any errors that have crept in during self practice . 

If you come away from the first two lessons being consistently  safe with a gun ( and honestly there are people who’ve shot for years who have dodgy habits ) count that as a win and a courtesy to your fellow shooters . 

There is plenty of time for  adopting specific methods ,  or getting advanced coaching for a chosen discipline , or even live game  when you have some basic competence under your belt . That’s the time a good coach will work with you rather than working on you . 

The main thing is you have the right attitude as you’ve identified that poor practice reinforces poor performance. Just a point on shooting buddies , there’s a major difference between having a good day out and improving, most of my shooting mates would ruin you 😂

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I find it tricky to know whether to get coaching, when, and who with... it's all a minefield, and I come from someone who has both instructed and been taught in various musical instruments and it isn't any easier even having that background! Twice when I didn't particularly ask for tuition, a bloke who works at the ground (B grade shooter and apparently an instructor according to his card he gave me) stood behind me telling me where I was going wrong, and whereas he thought he was helping, all it served to do was rattle me and put me off. I'm too polite to tell him to do one though. :declare:

I've been at it just over a year or so (albeit only able to shoot about once a fortnight, occasionally once a week, so I understand that practice, practice, practice would make a huge difference), and seen my scores at my local ground creep up very slowly from about 50 to low 60's with the occasional 70 odd or so. For me, I'm really curious as to whether I'll stall roughly where I am or continue to raise my scores as I have done, just through occasional solo practice & competitions/group shoots watching other people and how they do it, or whether a few coaching sessions will accelerate that.

Many thanks to Will who I went out with and he just watched and said the fundamentals looked about right and I didn't have any wildly bad habits, so I'm hopefully it's just getting my eye in and experience, but you always wonder. The difference is the discipline to perform again and again like Will and others on here, and knowing how and where to apply it, and I think that's the next level sort of stuff. When you shoot with a group, you often have a chat and a laugh, but really focusing, and I mean REALLY, makes it a very personal and solo sport at that moment.

And in line with what Bebo said above, even this weekend I found myself getting sloppy and that costing me shots, so that's a good lesson to take away: there was a l-r crosser at a reasonable speed which has always foxed me a little, and I missed all 4 of them. Turned to my much better shooter friend... 'wtf,... f*cking thing!'..., and he pointed out my feet didn't look right, they were facing too far left and not where I should have been hitting. He was right, I reset myself and promptly hit the following two! Didn't bloody count as it was after we'd all shot, but at least it was a kick in the arse as a reminder that you don't just walk up, point and pull the trigger! :focus:

Don't get too hooked up on being instinctive. To be consistent there needs to be an element of thinking and shot planning. It's only repetition that will give you the confidence to become more fluid in the way you shoot, with thinking done before you've stepped into the cage.

I can recommend Ed Solomons as a coach from personal experience. He hasn't tried to change my technique massively, but he has worked with me to improve my approach and help me to become more consistent. Trouble is, he's Midlands based so a long haul for you if you want weekly coaching. I see him two or three times a year for either half or a while day. The last time I saw him he spotted that I was getting lazy with my hold points and rushing to finish the shot as a result.  Really helped me and my average is climbing as a result.
He'd also be the first to say that weekly coaching with him wouldn't be beneficial.

There is of course a technical element with how he works, that all depends where you are with your shooting, but a big part of it is the process behind everything.

I was seeing him every 5-6 months and every time I went away he gave me something to work on, and as long as you listen and put the hard yards in then the results will follow.

He'd also be the first to say that weekly coaching with him wouldn't be beneficial.

There is of course a technical element with how he works, that all depends where you are with your shooting, but a big part of it is the process behind everything.

I was seeing him every 5-6 months and every time I went away he gave me something to work on, and as long as you listen and put the hard yards in then the results will follow.
Exactly.  I was talking to him about setting up a once a month session at one point, but he said it probably wouldn't benefit me and every couple of months was the maximum needed.

Hmmm, interesting. Anyone know any decent instructors who would do similarly sporadic lessons around the Bisley to Reading type area? Know someone who I could ask again but don't really want to take up his time as he's a busy chap. :imsohappy: That sort of timescale tuition feels like it might suit me though.

Hmmm, interesting. Anyone know any decent instructors who would do similarly sporadic lessons around the Bisley to Reading type area? Know someone who I could ask again but don't really want to take up his time as he's a busy chap. :imsohappy: That sort of timescale tuition feels like it might suit me though.
If it's infrequent, make the effort to drive up to Sporting Targets and see Ed.  It's worth it.

If it's infrequent, make the effort to drive up to Sporting Targets and see Ed.  It's worth it.
Thanks, but with a nipper looming whenever I try to do stuff, the four hours to get there and back without even picking up a gun would probably make it too difficult in reality, but I'll keep it in mind.

Latest posts

Back