Winged Scapula & Shoulder Clicking

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DouglasIn

Hi guys, after some help. So took a long (4-5 months) break from weight training last year. Started back up and stupidly went straight back into weight/intensity I was doing prior. Next day, very sore shoulder, iced it and stretched, put it down to DOMs as I had not trained for ages and felt no sudden pain or injury whilst working out. Few days later as I’m getting changed I notice my right scapula sticking out as I raise my arm forward, clearly could see something had gone wrong. The pain left and I went to perform a shoulder session and to my disbelief I went to l perform a seated Dumbbell shoulder press, my left arm straight up as normal, my right arm gave in, as if someone dragged my arm right back down. That was 4 months ago. Fast forward to today and I still can’t fully extend my arm above my head, it kind of bends off in an angle. The shoulder clicks once my hand goes above my ear, and makes my torso/chest look like it’s going on a slant. 

Now my left shoulder has for around 2-3 months had a dull ache around the shoulder blade area and now also started clicking? Is this my ‘good’ shoulder overcompensating for my winged side? Also not sure if linked but since I’ve had the dull ache/pulled muscle feeling, I get the same sort of feeling in my left chest area. Can anyone help? Thanks 

Hi guys, after some help. So took a long (4-5 months) break from weight training last year. Started back up and stupidly went straight back into weight/intensity I was doing prior. Next day, very sore shoulder, iced it and stretched, put it down to DOMs as I had not trained for ages and felt no sudden pain or injury whilst working out. Few days later as I’m getting changed I notice my right scapula sticking out as I raise my arm forward, clearly could see something had gone wrong. The pain left and I went to perform a shoulder session and to my disbelief I went to l perform a seated Dumbbell shoulder press, my left arm straight up as normal, my right arm gave in, as if someone dragged my arm right back down. That was 4 months ago. Fast forward to today and I still can’t fully extend my arm above my head, it kind of bends off in an angle. The shoulder clicks once my hand goes above my ear, and makes my torso/chest look like it’s going on a slant. 

Now my left shoulder has for around 2-3 months had a dull ache around the shoulder blade area and now also started clicking? Is this my ‘good’ shoulder overcompensating for my winged side? Also not sure if linked but since I’ve had the dull ache/pulled muscle feeling, I get the same sort of feeling in my left chest area. Can anyone help? Thanks 
I’m a physio and my advice would be to seek out a physio and get it properly assessed. Very hard to assess online without seeing the problem.

Always best to seek out a professional in person rather than on a forum.... hope you get it sorted.

I’m a physio and my advice would be to seek out a physio and get it properly assessed. Very hard to assess online without seeing the problem.

Always best to seek out a professional in person rather than on a forum.... hope you get it sorted.
 Thanks, any specific physio? Osteopath?

I had a similar experience after twice dislocating my right shoulder at work. I have had all the usual injections, physio etc., all of which worked for a short period of time, but the pain and clicking always returned. It culminated two years ago with a shoulder operation. Things were better until late last year, when I carried some heavy rolls of turf. The pain, although not constant, has returned along with the clicking upon raising my arm above my head. I now have to reach into cupboards with my left arm as using my right arm is just too painful. I have resorted to using 24 gram cartridges and a semi auto for when things get really bad. I try to avoid heavy lifting, but even lifting shopping into the car can kick it off. I hope that things get better for you soon and good luck for the future.

Back