Introducing myself

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJB Temple

Hello

Just joined the forum having browsed for a while.   Started shooting 30 years ago but only did a few farm shots, bit of trap and a few clay lessons. Work and family took over and the gun (some kind of Beretta) was sold (wife of the time was very anti gun) and my licence lapsed.  

Recently restarted.  Got relicensed (painless and straightforward).  Joined West Kent shooting club / school.  Bought a gun from gun dealer in Tunbridge Wells.  To all intents and purposes I am a novice.  

AJ

Hi AJ.  West Kent is a great place to start learning.  Only two issues with it are that it's a bit on the expensive side and they rarely change their targets.  The second point is fine when you first start, but it'll hinder your progress once you're becoming more confident.  I'd recommend trying a few other places when you get the chance.  Willow Farm at Tenterden shouldn't be too far from you if Potters and West Kent are your locals.  £22 for 70 sporting clays practice and they move the traps and stands around every week.  They have a competition on Sunday morning, so avoid that if you only want to practice for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks.  I am basically back to being a novice again and shooting once a week on my own (or with my wife as button presser) and once a week lesson to get my mount consistent and learn the traps.  Right now with around 25 traps and multi positions, this is more than I can remember.  But my instructor (second one as he is there on the day I can go) is focussed on me being able to do Sunday morning competitions for novices.

Tentereden is less than 30 mins drive so thanks for that tip.   

Chris Potter gun shop is the only one I know in this area (not lived there long) and they seem pretty helpful.  After looking at a few private sales of guns I decided I was too novice to choose, so went for a dealer gun.  The club guns are 28" silver pigeon 12g as far as I can see.  Suits my son fine, but a bit small feeling for me.  

Thanks Martin.  I have my own gun now that fits.  No 1 offspring is using the shooting club guns and so they are what they are.  If he gets keen we will get him his license and his own gun, or I will get a second inexpensive gun on my sheet that fits him.  

Hi have just moved to west Dorset!!

Can any body suggest where I can shoot!! 

Regards Laurence

Latest posts

Back