Release Trigger rule

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jan Powell

Staff member
A question for the French contributors on this site:

Can I use a release trigger in competition in France?

I will be shooting the European DTL in France next year with a release. If they are not generally permitted will a temporary relaxation of the rules be allowed for the many UK competitors that use them?

Last edited by a moderator:
A question for the French contributors on this site:

Can I use a release trigger in competition in France?

I will be shooting the European DTL in France next year with a release. If they are not generally permitted will a temporary relaxation of the rules be allowed for the many UK competitors that use them?
I don't know but I will try to find out tomorrow but you would have thought that something that is used internationally should be OK?

This would suggest they are not allowed:

Toutes les armes sont admises, à condition que la longueur de leur canon soit égale ou supérieure à 66 cm, que leur calibre ne soit pas supérieur au calibre 12 sauf :
- les fusils à pompe,
- les fusils équipés d'une détente de relâche

Many DTL competitors shoot release triggers in the UK and Ireland and will want to use them in France. I’d be interested to know if a dispensation will be in place for this event?

Best to send your query directly to FFBT, or ask the CPSA to enquire on your, and others behalf. 

FITASC organised events tend to follow the host country's rules regarding safety and banned items. Certainly when we had a UT shooter using release triggers and the event was in France we were told he wouldn't be allowed to compete so he didn't bother making the trip. 

This would suggest they are not allowed:

Toutes les armes sont admises, à condition que la longueur de leur canon soit égale ou supérieure à 66 cm, que leur calibre ne soit pas supérieur au calibre 12 sauf :
- les fusils à pompe,
- les fusils équipés d'une détente de relâche

Many DTL competitors shoot release triggers in the UK and Ireland and will want to use them in France. I’d be interested to know if a dispensation will be in place for this event?
I never realised  "many dtl shooters "   used release triggers ? 

I never realised  "many dtl shooters "   used release triggers ? 
They’re more common than you’d think, particularly amongst K80 shooters as Krieghoff offer a factory conversion.

All in all, i’d say about 10-15% and not all of them because of flinch problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi  Jan

Do you know the date and venue for this

Bob

Hi  Jan

Do you know the date and venue for this

Bob
Date isn’t confirmed yet but best guess is end of July/early August after the World Championship. Venue will probably be Lazenay.

Without meaning to hijack the thread I'm just curious given I've never heard of this before.

What are the main benefits/purpose of a release trigger exactly?

Without meaning to hijack the thread I'm just curious given I've never heard of this before.

I think it’s all about curing flinching. There may be other reasons. Contentious in certain shooting.

They are very common in U.S. ATA trap, and there are a few seen at sporting clays.  I am not sure about skeet.  This is due to many people find going to a release trigger (or a release/pull trigger as the case may be) helps with eliminating an acquired flinch.  Some do not.  There is quite the cottage industry in converting triggers to "release" and back over here.   

Latest posts

Back