shooting at Lazenay French UT champs

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwpzx9r

I am at Lazenay for the French UT championships which start on Thursday. I was at the shooting ground today for a quick look around and while it is not a bad ground, I think it is far too cramped. They have shoehorned in 8 setups but I honestly think they are far too close together. I was looking at one setup where a missed extreme right hand target from the adjacent setup was landing bang in the middle of what would be the straightaway target on this one! I know that even at the best grounds eg Lonato there is overlap from one setup to another ... but in my, admittedly limited, experience I have rarely seen a target land bang in the center of the adjacent setup... effectively interfering with three possible targets. On top of that we are expecting temperatures of up to 44C during the run up to the final couple of days... interesting times ahead  :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
John - always best to get the whining in and done with ahead of time  :frantics:

the heat will def be a prob and lotsa water and a light hat will go a long ways to make that easier.  The sun cloth shirts are a real boon as well.

REMEMBER PROCESS AND NOT RESULT

and some pix would be a kind thing for the have-nots

Be Cool and Be Safe

Charlie

How did your shoot at Lazenay go? 
It turned out to be a really great place to shoot Phil ! My first impressions were completely unfounded and what I took to be too compact was actually just an illusion. It is really quite an intimate and nice place to shoot with lots of protection from the sun and wind. They have put about 100mm of glass wool insulation under the roofs of the shooting stands... just as well because it would have been like shooting in a frying pan otherwise. I have to say that because the number of shooters was down this year the ground coped very well for car parking but had there been the usual 550 ish shooters It would have been a bit more of a problem but there was an over flow car park set up in the field outside the ground . The event went off without a hitch not one problem.

For myself I shot some really good rounds, by my standards, but had three real stinkers 17,18 and 19 which dragged me down to 164 but I was still reasonably happy because the temperatures we were shooting in were very high topping out at 43C on the Thursday. Guy Commeres won gold in the  Vet category with a 191 which was just 5 shy of the winner and I took the gold for foreign shooters.   Looking forward to Ychoux now I like shooting there... now if I can just cut out these duff rounds I feel confident of a best score at Ychoux coming on as the temperature should have lowered a bit by then.

Hope to see you there Phil.

edit

one other thing Phil because the number of shooters was only 400 the shooting did not start until 10 am. A big bonus for me as I hate shooting facing full sun. I would really have struggled if shooting had started at say 8.30 am in act that is the only real fault I can pick with the ground... like so many other French shooting grounds it faces the early morning sun.

Last edited by a moderator:
John - 

So that sounds pretty OK to me!!  You seem to always manage pretty decent overall scores and then whine about it hahaha.  Get Serious!  Gold for the feriner?  Sounds like you did just fine.  Deal with it.  Good to hear that the grounds were less hostile than you first thot hahaha  Considering the temps I would not think that bad performance at all.  Always easy for some sub-con element to creep in when something as intrusive as the temp is hammering away.  I'm guessing that is when the big guys' years of process repetition makes itself really known.  Being prepared for the heat can be a tough one too as so many things are part of that.  

Seems difficult to imagine why any grounds would be built facing east.     :banghead: I'm sure it makes perfect sense to a French sort of person.  I do know of a couple places here where a field or two are sorta NNW facing and the late afternoon summer sun simply devours the left targets.  

Sounds like you did just fine.
I did shoot a few good rounds but three were really poor eg 19... I missed 6 of the first nine targets then shot the others on the first barrel ?? You could say good recovery but miss 6 from 9 that is bad! Missed a lot of first and last targets too but looking forward to Ychoux a possibly more difficult ground to shoot at but I like the place so I hope that helps my confidence a bit.

I've shot a few times at Lazenay but not for some time. I think the Vincent family, if they still run it, have made some improvements since my last visit. Mary and I were the first foreigners to shoot there in the late 90's.  They didn't have an 'etranger' category in those days. It was the French national UT championships and a French TV channel was there doing a live broadcast and Mary was interviewed via an interpreter on camera. 

Heading off down to Ychoux this weekend. I'll be at the range next Tuesday to shoot a couple of training rounds. 

I'll be at the range next Tuesday to shoot a couple of training rounds. 
Hope to see you there Phil. I am heading over on Sunday and will practice Mon, Tues and Wed morning. Going to be busy as there will be 550 shooters.

Hope to see you there Phil. I am heading over on Sunday and will practice Mon, Tues and Wed morning. Going to be busy as there will be 550 shooters.
Just counted the entries, there's 603 plus 21 vacant spaces so that does equal the 624 originally planned.

Just counted the entries, there's 603 plus 21 vacant spaces so that does equal the 624 originally planned.
Offt They must have up the number normally they take 576 entries... looks like an early start!

Offt They must have up the number normally they take 576 entries... looks like an early start!
FITASC max for 8 layout ranges is 624.

I think they used a bit of kidology earlier in the year on their website to get shooters signed up quickly by showing a limited number of entries available, which they gradually increased up to the now max. 

I reckon it will be an 08.00 start with a ten hour shooting day. As the shoot is split AM and PM there'll be about a 2 hour wait to shoot the second round of your day. 

I reckon it will be an 08.00 start with a ten hour shooting day. As the shoot is split AM and PM there'll be about a 2 hour wait to shoot the second round of your day. 
Well at least the shooting range is in the correct orientation so morning sun should not be a problem, one of the very few that I have been on that does not face the East as far as I remember :)  

Back