Adjustable comb...Is it worth it?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buster41

Afternoon Guys,

Looking for a few opinions on whether or not its worth having a adjustable comb fitting to my stock?

I've been shooting for most of my youth and was once a pretty decent shot with my old Lincoln....then i had a brainwave and decided to buy a new gun (which i chopped the old Lincoln in for), i took to the clay ground with my new pride and joy to find my scores tumble dramatically, i gave it a fair chance to no avail and then put the gun in the cabinet and stopped shooting for a few years (not just because of the gun).

I'm now chomping at the bit to get back to the shooting ground but obviously still have the issue with the gun.

The gun in question is a Winchester Select sporting 30" which if i remember correctly cost me around £1100, here's where i need the advise. Am i better off fitting a adjustable comb to the Winchester or chopping it in for a gun that already has one? which is more financially viable? also can anyone recommend a good gunsmith that can carry out the alterations? 

Adjustable comb   iv found only good for height adjustment   very limited for cast.  You need some one that knows what there doing to have a look.  If the stock is to low you could temporary raise it   with tape and cardboard.  Same if there is too much cast.   

I just read a review on Shootinguk, it looks like a nice enough gun, they do mention that it has no appreciable cast on the stock so lefties can use it too, so fit might be an issue. If it were me I'd seek out professional advice, maybe have the gun fitted, it might be a cheaper option.

I agree with the others in that you should have someone who knows what there are talking about check you and your gun out.... it could be something very trivial and there is no point in spending money if it is an easy fix.

Adjustable combs are very useful bits of kit for people who know what they're doing but in your case I'm afraid I don't believe it will be money well spent. Shoot a few of your mates guns and see what one you get on with then chop the Select in for a used gun of similar type, the gun as it stands is not worth throwing £250-£300 at. 

in my humble opinion  adj comb  is crucial to gun fit   ,  I find mine allows  both cast on and off  to a degree !    only you can decide if your gun is worth  the cost ?       simon willmore  of doveridge guns  is a reliable chap   , cost about £250 .    check out gunfit on youtube   don curry . 

With respect Buster41, you haven’t said (we don’t know) why you don’t shoot the gun well. I’ve had perfectly fitted guns that I couldn’t shoot well as I hated the handling characteristics. Equally I love my present gun, but dislike the comb shape so I’m going to get an adj comb fitted and take the opportunity to reprofile the comb shape. In other words it’s not a simple matter to resolve on a forum. Need to see what you’re doing really. 

what Will said, we need more info

I am same as Will I have had many guns that fitted perfectly well but I couldn't get on with them, there are many many aspects that effect how one "gets on" (or not) with a gun. Gun fit, balance, length, palm swell etc etc and general dynamics all have a bearing on it. I believe that not getting on with a gun is usually because of a few minor issues that all come together or rather not which is why sometimes you cant quite put your finger on any specific reason for disliking it...….a bit like people really 

If you need a lot of cast , an adjustable comb might leave a very uncomfortable “ ledge “ . Indeed I had an adjustable comb K80  , bent to get rid of that issue , the adjustable  comb now just sets the comb height. 

I’ve  just picked up a G5 miroku  ( game gun ) that I’ve had fitted , with  a gun fitting session , two bends (cast and comb raising ) including removing modifying and refitting the metal reinforcing tube in the grip , there is not much change out of £400 ,  

As the guys above have said , adjustable comb , £300 plus , perhaps a gun fit session to set it up £80-£150 

Unless you love the Winchester , given  the above figures , trading up probably makes more sense  

I have an adjustable comb on my gun, it came with it already fitted. I just leave it flat and it suits me fine. To have one fitted to achieve a degree of gunfit seems one ell of an expense to use once and then throw the key away. Alternatively, you could do as some shooters that I know do and have a 'fiddle' with the comb, each time they go out with the gun, and that even includes between stands  !    :no:

I have an adjustable comb on my gun, it came with it already fitted. I just leave it flat and it suits me fine. To have one fitted to achieve a degree of gunfit seems one ell of an expense to use once and then throw the key away. Alternatively, you could do as some shooters that I know do and have a 'fiddle' with the comb, each time they go out with the gun, and that even includes between stands  !    :no:
I believe that the Allen key for my Buddy’s 725 pro sport is safely at the bottom of the lake at Kelbrook 😂

Thanks for taking the time to respond guys,

Since it's been a while since i picked the gun up i think i'll hit the range and put a few shots through it and seek professional advice.

I think a new gun is on the cards but this time around after learning a valuable lesson i'll have it professionally fitted before parting with the ££ 

Thanks for taking the time to respond guys,

Since it's been a while since i picked the gun up i think i'll hit the range and put a few shots through it and seek professional advice.

I think a new gun is on the cards but this time around after learning a valuable lesson i'll have it professionally fitted before parting with the ££ 
Beware “professionally fitted”. Lots of places are keen to relieve you of huge money and not always in your best interest. Worst case is when they produce a weird stock at great expense to suit you while you don’t hold the gun properly. Develop your hold and stance before looking at intricacies of fit. As long as you’re comfortable and line up easily with the rib you’re fine for a good while, or forever. Buy a gun that fits well enough and pay nothing more is good advice for most shooters IMO.

You may have a beautiful consistent gun mount already of course, so my comments are generic. 

I love the look of the Browning 525SL, with adjustable comb(I believe it does cast too - or I may be getting confused with the XS PRO which I was also ooogling over) I would love either, but I got a Rizzini off a mate(a tenth of the cost and suited my wallet to get me started.), and it seems to fit me well( I have had tutor look it over on me and its not bad - once I got my hold right... But being new to shooting I guess ill have to shoot a few more guns before I can tell properly...

On that note I went out with a chap who has a Beretta semi, and when I brought the gun up to mount, it felt very odd. and the comb was very high - I could see above the rib (reading an article about ill-fitting guns, the rib looking like a stretched out motorway lane made sense) it just felt awful to hold - but lovely to shoot.

Once I scooched my head to line up with the rib I started hitting targets, but after half dozen shots I went back to my Rizzini.

Perhaps when the bank balance is a bit healthier ill treat myself to a new gun.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can certainly ascertain whether a gun is practical for you to shoot in two minutes, with the help of somebody half-knowledgable or a mirror if you are half-knowledgable. The basis of it is simply getting your eye in line with and just above the rib. That bit is pretty damn simple and is actually 90% of the matter, in a pure mechanical sense. 

However, as with all things, the last 10% is the part that makes 90% of the difference in terms of elevating your performance from ordinary to nearer the best you can be. So then all the other elements come in to it, such as how the pad contacts the shoulder pocket, the angle of your elbows, trigger hand grip, how your face weight is applied to the stock, how the gun sits when you reach extreme right or left swing and more. These final elements mostly contribute to sheer comfort which allows you to forget the gun, making it feel part of you, so that you can forget it and think only about the target. 

Can an adjustable stock alter 'cast'? I think not. All an adjustable stock does, is align the eye to the rib.

Back