Pro Ferrum - Snake oil or works?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosmicblue

So got an advert via Guntrader earlier in the week from Sportarm for some miracle oil/cleaning fluid call 'Pro Ferrum', fairly expensive and claimed to be able to remove fouling easily. Brain said 'snake oil' heart said 'buy one to try'.... a 200ml spray arrived today, courtesy of DHL.

https://pro-ferrum-oil.com/

So cleaned the 828U Sport today that has been collecting lead fouling (I shoot fibre wads) in the part of the barrel just beyond the end of the chambers, the stiff copper bore brush wasn't getting it totally clean.  Cleaned the barrels normally and then gave each bore a squirt of the 'snake oil'. left it for a couple of minutes, quick scratch with the bore brush and then the jag/kitchen paper towel cleaning process.

It actually works - bores are like brand new and all the streak marks have gone.  At £15.99 for 200ml and carriage its not going to get used for anything other than stubborn stuff but nonetheless it does work.

GT85 smells nicer. :)

GT85 is a teflon lubricant, whereas WD40 is more like a solvent, I believe.
I reckon WD smells pretty nice.. and isn’t a solvent what’s needed for getting the crap out the barrels rather than a lubricant? 

WD40 - Water Displacement.The '40' is the number of times it took to get the right formula. It's not and never has been a lubricant. 

I think it is possibly an overpriced cleanser .

Nothing at all wrong with Parker Hale 009 or Young's 303,  clean out the carbon and dirt first with a piece of kitchen towel , spray the bores with 009 or 303 , leave to soak for at least half hour , longer  is better  to allow solvent to penetrate . Then clean with kitchen towel or patches until they come out clean . Job done .

Someone should invent snapcaps that you fire after you shot the last cartridges of the day (while the barrels are still hot) that puffs a mist of solvent down the bore so you get home run the fuzzy stick through and voila. 

This would keep both the snap-cappy peeps happy AND appease those who struggle using the wire brush. 

I really do not know what GT85 contains or what it can be used for. I do know that it was recommended to me by someone at the local ground, in particular for cleaning all of the black crud from a semi auto. I spray the piston of my 303 auto, then spray the mag. tube etc. A quick wipe with some kitchen towel leaves them gleaming. A quick spray down the barrel and leave that until last. Kitchen towel pushed through the barrel and then a sweep through with Napier super clean patch, job done. WD40 is a solvent, it makes a great job of shifting marker pen ink off kitchen worktop, or that stubborn glue residue,  left after label removal from glass etc.

Probably just another one of those expensive fad cleaning solutions. Remember Clenzoil, that was doing the rounds a couple of years back. That was the greatest gun cleaner ever, don't here much about that now.

I was advised to use the GT85 on my pushbike for the chain and gears... Not sure how it will 'clean' the bore? or is it more to soak and loosen the dirt?

It's got a thin veil of teflon in it so I would guess the premise is it'll do a bit of cleaning then the main job is to leave that thin teflon coating on to prevent further crud sticking to it. Theoretically.  :pardon:

Cleaning and lubing simultaneously seems to me to have a heavy snakeoil component.  The two activities are simply  mutually exclusive.  WD40 can be used as a solvent as the carrier for the water repellent stuff is something volatile.  Not the original intent by any means and it never was touted as a lube - used to say so right on the can.

some cleaners can be way destructive to  wood finishes so checking out that potential is maybe worthwhile

just a thot

Last edited by a moderator:
I was advised to use the GT85 on my pushbike for the chain and gears... Not sure how it will 'clean' the bore? or is it more to soak and loosen the dirt?
There are 3 or 4 different types of GT85, one is designed to clean push bikes. The one that I use has the 'Teflon' in it and it does seem to work on my auto,  well, it has for the last 5 years or so.

One thing it will NOT do is to put 'pics' on here  !

Last edited by a moderator:
There are 3 or 4 different types of GT85, one is designed to clean push bikes. The one that I use has the 'Teflon' in it and it does seem to work on my auto,  well, it has for the last 5 years or so.

One thing it will NOT do is to put 'pics' on here  !
Ah ok chap, thanks for the info.

Out of curiosity, why no pictures?

Latest posts

Back