Bisley Live

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GavB

Guys am I right in that entrance fee is £22/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif

Not sure Gav, but Bisley Live is aimed at making them money. Earlier this year, I sent an email to them; which they did not reply to. I asked them why -as the ground that hosts the CPSA - that they do not hold regular ESP shoots there??? They are in a real geographical gap there, with no other grounds nearby and it could be a huge money spinner.  It would be the first thing I would do there.. CSC3

I`ve shot their sporting course Clever and it is very good too, very little tweaking needed to make it truly great BUT they`re fibre only, that may well be one reason?

It doesnt help attract the mass of shooters, but fibre registereds are viable. Cadley in Wiltshire was fibre. Fibre are OK, as long as you have good quality ones, like Hull Fibre / Sovereigns etc. They hold the Surrey police shoot there each year and have about 300 entries. The sight of £9000 going into the till would make them think- you would think.. CSC3

Unfortunately the problem can be the gun itself, or the chamber length to be more precise, rather than the shells. We all know they kick a tiny bit more and don`t do you any favours with the confetti showers but even though pattern plates seem to show spreads very much similar to plastic, they just don`t shoot the same. I for one would really like to know why? Could it be the manufacturers keep speeds a tad lower to compensate for the kick which in turn gives poorer breaks/feedback?

I was always under the impression fibres were tighter???? Oh well what do I know! As long as the clay breaks!!!/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

As long as everbody abides by the rules and uses fibre wads, what's the problem? It's a level playing field.

Fiber wads don't have a skirt that will expand like plastic wads. So, with the new trend of overbore (+.724) barrels, there is gas seapage around the fibre wad. They also have NO cushioning effect. So pellets are slightly more deformed as your shoulder! The Lone Canadian,Henry/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

Mike said:

As long as everbody abides by the rules and uses fibre wads, what's the problem? It's a level playing field.
Not nekkakkarily Mike, if you`re recoil sensitive they`re bad news, if you happen to have a gun that doesn`t digest them well and it cost you £4k then you`re really stuffed. /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

So what are you saying then, I will not shoot, as my gun does not like fibre wads or shall I use plastic and hope nobody notices?There is more than one brand of fibre out there. My DT10, my 391 and the Blaser I used to have all shot well with Express fibre, with good breaks at all distances when used with the most suitable choke.

I think there are four issues with fibre cartridges. They cost more, they usually have more recoil, they can produce a shower of black confetti (the wad breaking up) and the barrels need a bit more of a clean after shooting (to move the lead out). If you go for a classy cartridge, like a Hull Soverieign, the recoil is not too bad, the wads dont `confetti` themselves and the kills are superb. In a competition; `same for all` cures every possible concern regarding pattern quality. Trust me, the ability of a course setter to lower everybodies scores in an infinately bigger factor than whether or not a edge-on distant clay slipped through a fibre shot pattern. Here is a thought: Ground owners like Bisley want to keep plas wads out (purely for littering I assume). So, if trying to organise a large event and attract a lot of shooters; the ground could a) offer a cheap entry to compensate for the increased cost of fibre, or :) buy a large quantity of fibre cartridges (cheaply) and sell them on the day for no profit. CSC3   

Hi Clever,  I'm not tryin to argue with you when you said   "If you go for a classy cartridge, like a Hull Soverieign, the recoil is not too bad, the wads dont `confetti` themselves and the kills are superb"  but most Sovereign's I've shot and I've shot a fair few when I worked in a Hull dealership were the thumpiest and sometimes dirtiest in the air shell I've shot ever shot apart from GB fibres, I always keep my shells besides a radiator and on top of one the day before, I was always told that even Hull said themselves their best all round preforming shell was the DTL Pro One #8,  I've shot thousands of them and they are brilliant - fast, clean in the air & in the barrel, hard hitting, brilliant pattern and better lookin than ordinary Pro one's, the Pro fibres were my least favourite shell, very dirty in the air and thumpy, Intercomp plastic & fibres were great value for money but not any more as I think all Hull shells are extortionate and I personally think there is very little noticeable difference to a slogger like me /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-embarassed.gif Nige

Hamster said:

Unfortunately the problem can be the gun itself, or the chamber length to be more precise, rather than the shells. We all know they kick a tiny bit more and don`t do you any favours with the confetti showers but even though pattern plates seem to show spreads very much similar to plastic, they just don`t shoot the same. I for one would really like to know why? Could it be the manufacturers keep speeds a tad lower to compensate for the kick which in turn gives poorer breaks/feedback?
i disagree with this, ive never had a problem with fibre loads at all, and as mike says they will kill a clay at any distance just as well as any plastic wad. some people have all these misconceptions about fibre wads before really giving them a chance

I agree. I was at the Crazy Bear shoot a month or so ago. The last stand for us had a very fast edge-on away from a tower behind. It was like shooting a pencil at 50 yards. Once she put the barrels in the right place, my wife took one of these apart into many pieces. She was using Hull 21g fibre through 1/4 choke! 21g and Fibre. Stand back folks as the blue touch paper has been lit for Hammy!! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif Hammy, dont bother, we covered all this years ago on the other site.. I agree, not what you or I would choose to shoot, but just goes to show what happens if you are pointing in the right place..And Nigel, maybe you are right. I havent bought Sovs for a while; but there are great Fibre loads and awful ones. Eley Firsts throw so much confetti you cant see the report bird! Cheers,CSC3

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it is the same scenario like making any cartridge choice, well for me anyway. Take a range of different brands and test them for kills and recoil and cleanliness and then make a decision. Personally I stay clear of them for clays and the only thing i noticed when i had to shoot them was the confetti coming out the end on some brands however I had no problem with Hull I think it was, and to be honest could i tell the difference??? Nope! On shooting pigeons etc I can not believe more people do not shoot them i think it is much better to shoot them over crops and most of all drillings! Then they really are a benefit because I have had to spend a good hour before now picking up wadding in a field before due to the amount of plas wads clearly visible! never again!!! Glen.

Getting back on topic I heard from a friend that it was Bisley Dead, expected gate of 30,00+ turned out to be about 3,000 total. Not many stalls, £22 to get in and stallholders pretty fed up.

I was there yesterday, as you say, very quiet. There were loads of have a go stands, didn't seem to be doing much business. The 25 bird pool shoot was also very quiet, not surprised at £20.00 a go.

Like I said; just a money making attempt for Bisley that I could never understand. Just put some SHOOTS on there!!!!! CSC3

Latest posts

Back