Should we all shoot 24g cartridges

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AW13

Out of interest I was wondering whether people on here always shoot 28g or whether there are a substantial number who shoot 24g or even 21g.

My thoughts come from the international competitions where I understand most disciplines are shot using 24g.  Might be wrong here.

After some research I have read several articles that state that 24g will break any clay presentation.  So apart from some semi autos needing 28g why do most people shoot 28g.

Just a few thoughts for a sunny Monday morning.

Only 28g because they give me an advantage, although slight, over a 24g load and the rules allow it.

I’d have no problem with using a 24g load if the rules stipulated it though.

Last edited by a moderator:
A question I have asked on many occasions. For me yes there is no need for 28g loads in the discipline I shoot which is trap, I cannot comment on other disciplines though. I only use 28g because this is the standard at the moment  but if this was to change I would be more than happy to use 24g. Using lower mass loads should theoretically lead to less stress on the shooter and cheaper cartridges... surely a better situation ? 

Only 28g because they give me an advantage, although slight, over a 24g load and the rules allow it.

I’d have no problem with using a 24g load if the rules stipulated it though.
I spoke with an Olympic medalist at a UT championship and he said exactly the same and for me it is the only reason most shooters use the heavier load.

The thing is if everyone is using the same load then nobody can complain.

yes I would be happy with 24g      but cheaper  I doubt  !!   
Yes you are right about price BUT it is strange that the cost of lead is always use as a factor as to why the price of cartridges has to rise. We all know that logic and reason do not enter into why a manufacturer can cost something like a cartridge they way they do, but to use logic you have to assume that if the amount of a costed material used in a process is reduced by about 15% if the manufacturer does not reduce the cost of the item processed then they are increasing their own profits by the same amount... and they will have the brass neck to do it too using the excuse that the cost of the plastic was actually subsidizing the cost lead so that now everything is in balance cost wise !

Out of interest I was wondering whether people on here always shoot 28g or whether there are a substantial number who shoot 24g or even 21g.

My thoughts come from the international competitions where I understand most disciplines are shot using 24g.  Might be wrong here.

After some research I have read several articles that state that 24g will break any clay presentation.  So apart from some semi autos needing 28g why do most people shoot 28g.

Just a few thoughts for a sunny Monday morning.
The only two globally recognised international disciplines specifying 24gm loads are ISSF Olympic Trap and Skeet.  FEDECAT Trap 5 also specify 24gm, their other disciplines are 28gm with the exception of Fan 32, which you might guess correctly is 32gm. The five FITASC disciplines Sporting, Compak, Helice, Universal Trench and Trap One are all 28gm.

There is no doubt that 24gm are more than capable of breaking clays of fairly lengthy distances.  The Helice target would likely be more difficult, there were moans when the load was reduced from 36gm down to 28gm.

The international governing bodies need to get together and set a deadline of change to a reduced load, then the domestic disciplines would follow suit.  Also got to remember that 28gm cartridges are manufactured worldwide and are stockpiled so any end date for 28gm must be fully coordinated. 

What is it about 28g that some of you object to, are you hitting too many, finding it too easy, having recoil issues or do you believe the price will go down ? I will not insult your intelligence by including "environmental benefits" since that would be laughable beyond words. 

What is it about 28g that some of you object to, are you hitting too many, finding it too easy, having recoil issues or do you believe the price will go down ? I will not insult your intelligence by including "environmental benefits" since that would be laughable beyond words. 
I don't object to 28gm, more than happy to use them.  As someone else mentioned when it's a level playing field I'll go with the flow.   

I don't object to 28gm, more than happy to use them.  As someone else mentioned when it's a level playing field I'll go with the flow.   
It IS a level playing field, we're allowed 28g and if anyone wants (for whatever reason) to use smaller loads then that's always been an option, even before 24g/21g loads were commonly available one could have opted to use 20 or 28 bore guns. It just seems to me that shooting folk are never more happy than when they're making rods for their own backs ! 

One minute it's a concerted effort to bash plaswads and make a push for us to be restricted to fibre/felt, the next minute it's about reducing loads - make no mistake, once you give an inch they'll take a mile. If you take plaswads away on environmental grounds you haven't got a leg to stand on about the LEAD shot charge being replaced with steel. 

Meanwhile the manufacturers will be laughing all the way to the bank and continue to charge the same whilst making more money. Y'all be careful what you wish for. 

Love this forum, topics tend to diverge all over the place. 😳

Going back to the original questions I am reading that 24g will break anything a 28g will but people have more confidence in 28g killing the target.

Most seem to use 28g for the above reason and users of 24g or 21g use them by choice or if the discipline rules 28g is not allowed.

24 grm will kill any target, any where . Been there done it. But, and it's a big but is can you mentally cope with the shortfall in shot load.  Some can't.

Which is why the cartridge manufacturers make a mint out of people who have to have the fastest biggest load they can have .The recoil kills them and is detrimental to their scores but what's that got to do with it. 

It's in the mind.

Same with guns. Gotta have this.that and the other cos it's better.  

Try game bore Evo in 24 grm flavour . 8's. 

Jasper

I only ever shoot 21g gamebore evo cartridges. They kill targets just aswell as 28gs which the other people I shoot with use. If I miss it’s down to me being in the wrong place 💥

I use 24g Evo 8’s in fibre for recoil reduction purposes.  Quicker second shot acquisition as a result more than makes up for 4g of pellets less to me. 21g just feels too brave!

It IS a level playing field, we're allowed 28g and if anyone wants (for whatever reason) to use smaller loads then that's always been an option, even before 24g/21g loads were commonly available one could have opted to use 20 or 28 bore guns. It just seems to me that shooting folk are never more happy than when they're making rods for their own backs ! 

One minute it's a concerted effort to bash plaswads and make a push for us to be restricted to fibre/felt, the next minute it's about reducing loads - make no mistake, once you give an inch they'll take a mile. If you take plaswads away on environmental grounds you haven't got a leg to stand on about the LEAD shot charge being replaced with steel. 

Meanwhile the manufacturers will be laughing all the way to the bank and continue to charge the same whilst making more money. Y'all be careful what you wish for. 
You just know that as soon as people stop using 28g, instead plumping for 24g, amongst other things to save a few quid as my limited experience is they have been cheaper than the beefier exact same variant, the manufacturers will play the same card as the oil companies and those 24g will miraculously become the same price you were paying BEFORE for the 28s?!!

What he said,... slippery slope.

Funny enough I bought some today to try out back to back with some 28g when I pop out for a practice later this week 
William Evans were out of 28g TT1s a few months ago so I got 2 slabs of 24g. Didn't notice any huge difference... but then again, I'm sh*te! :pardon:

I’m a new shooter and normally use 21g in my o/u because they seem to work fine but if ever I need bigger ones I’ll buy them.

Have to use 28g in the M2 though  :hunter:

It's not the size of the load that matters - but rather getting the lead to the right spot in the sky.

We men are pre-programmed to think bigger is better when the truth is that it makes little or no difference where shot shells are concerned.

It's not the size of the load that matters - but rather getting the lead to the right spot in the sky.

We men are pre-programmed to think bigger is better when the truth is that it makes little or no difference where shot shells are concerned.
Not me, I know I can can miss just as well with 21g :)   

Latest posts

Back