Arthritis of the neck

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonny English

Hi all,

At just a few months shy of 40 years old it's looking like I have developed arthritis of the neck. Just mild symptoms at the minute, cracking/ clicking of the neck when rotated, tight muscles in the shoulders and neck, occasional numbnous and aching of arms and legs, sciatica etc. Doctor has said to take vitamin D tablets and oesteopath has given me a series of exercises to keep it as free as possible, also got an electric heat pad to drape over it for a bit each day.

Has anyone else ever suffered with this, was it or did it affect your shooting. Do I need to be taking precautions now while I can with lighter loads etc to protect it long term. Or should it just be unaffected and shoot as normal.

Any help or advice gratefully received.

Regards Martin

Hi all,

At just a few months shy of 40 years old it's looking like I have developed arthritis of the neck. Just mild symptoms at the minute, cracking/ clicking of the neck when rotated, tight muscles in the shoulders and neck, occasional numbnous and aching of arms and legs, sciatica etc. Doctor has said to take vitamin D tablets and oesteopath has given me a series of exercises to keep it as free as possible, also got an electric heat pad to drape over it for a bit each day.

Has anyone else ever suffered with this, was it or did it affect your shooting. Do I need to be taking precautions now while I can with lighter loads etc to protect it long term. Or should it just be unaffected and shoot as normal.

Regards Martin
Morning Martin, very sorry to hear you are suffering with arthritis, I have a mild case in my right hand which is eased with heat. Regards shooting I would look at all available recoil systems, I have a rubber comb raiser fitted to my CG which works very well, not sure if the same solution is available from other makes but have noticed www.recoilsystems.com and www.shockmaster.com seem to offer recoil solutions. The other thing to try is maybe 24g cartridges which I've seen a vet fitasc shooter use to great affect. Hope you find something to ease your discomfort abs be able to keep shooting. 

I empathise with you  , for around 8 years now ( started at 55 ) I’ve had neck and shoulder issues . I saw the quack , and had various steroid injections . To cut a long story short , I eventually found a good hands on physio and I visit him every two weeks . Neck traction and shoulder muscle massage .  It might not be arthritis you have , it could be crepitus, which is basically God telling you, that  you are wearing out 😂 . You then start compensating for a twinge here and there and can end up with shoulder muscles in knots . 

As my hobbies were , fly fishing , shooting , and Motorbikes non of those helped . Neither did carrying a laptop bag for 20 years , spending too much time travelling for work in cramped seats   , and dragging a wheelie case . I’ve given up the bike but shoot twice as much . 

On the shooting side ,   All my guns are fitted to me , my preference is a for trap stock on a heavy -ish gun  . The objective is to have a head up stance where I don’t have to bend or contort too much . I have Kickeeze pads  .  I’ve tried all sorts of cartridges and I’ve found that  shot weight isn’t necessarily  an issue  , “smoothness” and wallop  is . I can shoot Eley Select all day long , and Oly Blues , but Power Golds for example make can me flinch .  

So in summary,  ongoing condition management , plus gun fit , smooth cartridge and as Diver,  says recoil  management and you can shoot comfortably for decades . 

I empathise with you  , for around 8 years now ( started at 55 ) I’ve had neck and shoulder issues . I saw the quack , and had various steroid injections . To cut a long story short , I eventually found a good hands on physio and I visit him every two weeks . Neck traction and shoulder muscle massage .  It might not be arthritis you have , it could be crepitus, which is basically God telling you, that  you are wearing out 😂 . You then start compensating for a twinge here and there and can end up with shoulder muscles in knots . 

As my hobbies were , fly fishing , shooting , and Motorbikes non of those helped . Neither did carrying a laptop bag for 20 years , spending too much time travelling for work in cramped seats   , and dragging a wheelie case . I’ve given up the bike but shoot twice as much . 

On the shooting side ,   All my guns are fitted to me , my preference is a for trap stock on a heavy -ish gun  . The objective is to have a head up stance where I don’t have to bend or contort too much . I have Kickeeze pads  .  I’ve tried all sorts of cartridges and I’ve found that  shot weight isn’t necessarily  an issue  , “smoothness” and wallop  is . I can shoot Eley Select all day long , and Oly Blues , but Power Golds for example make can me flinch .  

So in summary,  ongoing condition management , plus gun fit , smooth cartridge and as Diver,  says recoil  management and you can shoot comfortably for decades . 
Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated. I have had an adjustable stock put on my gun just lately so have got it levelled up and jacked up a bit, I shoot a dt11 at about 8lb 8oz at the minute so have a bit of weight for recoil at the minute. Hoping to avoid a recoil reducer if I can at the minute.

I've been shooting velocity plus which can be a little fierce, our local shop stocks eley select as well so was going to give them a go, do you use the 24 or 28 gram, was going to give the 24's a try if they had any? 

Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated. I have had an adjustable stock put on my gun just lately so have got it levelled up and jacked up a bit, I shoot a dt11 at about 8lb 8oz at the minute so have a bit of weight for recoil at the minute. Hoping to avoid a recoil reducer if I can at the minute.

I've been shooting velocity plus which can be a little fierce, our local shop stocks eley select as well so was going to give them a go, do you use the 24 or 28 gram, was going to give the 24's a try if they had any? 
For the sake of a few £ perhaps try a box of 24g and see if you can feel a positive difference. Small adjustments now may help in the future. However would honestly recommend the soft cheek comb which really does avoid sudden neck movement if you mismount. 

Good luck 

Sorry to hear it bud. Keep at it - dont let it get the better of you. The moment you give up doing the things you enjoy and that keep you independent the slope becomes a cliff.

16 years ago (at 16 years of age) I started having issues in my knees, then my back, and my hands, and feet -well my body! . - after years of battling with GP's I was diagnosed with a type of arthritis (that escapes my memory) which was later changed to psoriatic arthritis, after years of multiple medications and injections, now I just have the injection and one medication.. and I am by far better than I used to be. My hands, feet, knees have all got 'better', but my back still gives me grief daily - My Dr told to pack the bike in - I told him I will when I go to my grave...

A few weeks ago (after I started shooting around May) - I had a 'todo' on my motorcycle (no brakes - and then all of a sudden while testing and riding)  the front wheel locked up, I managed to stay upright), which caused a lot of pain in my leg (which is subsiding now), but at the same time I have started having pains in my elbows - I wondered if this was 'shock' from the handlebars or to do with the shotgun shooting. Im going to have a rest from shooting for a couple of weeks to see whether it helps (not that im giving up shooting if it is!!!)

I am currently shooting Hull Superfasts.

Hope you heal fast buddy.

Try a really good chiropractitioner, not sure much can be done for arthritis though but have had some longstanding neck and back issues sorted, felt better after first session but took 2 sessions a week for 8 weeks

I’m using 28s generally . I find the Select more of a push that a bang , and the Oly blues a bit quicker but not unpleasant they are also available in 21, 24, as well as 28 

Definitely buy a couple of boxes of Select 24 and 28 and try them against your normal 28 and it’s 24 variant. Obviously they are a “ club “ cartridge , but in 24 gm they will still break a 50 yard  high tower target nicely .  

My only concession to recoil reduction is the pad on the 12 gauges . The 20 has a hard plastic plate . I agree I wouldn’t want a mechanical reducer. 

I’m sure you’ll find a compromise load and gun setup that will let you shoot unimpeded .

Another thing,  I’ve also found the self adhesive , self heat  muscle pain pads to be very good as I can have one on while I’m shooting if need be , dirt cheap at Superdrug . 

Oh and one last thought , if you used “ Fiery Jack “ or “Deep Heat “ rub on your neck  , wash your hands before you go for a pee..... 

Last edited by a moderator:
My neck crunches and clicks,everday when i get up i roll it until it stops crunching if ind this helps as it seems to stay free for the rest of the day.

Fortunately i have a friend that is a chiro and he says it just stiffens up due to time(bad posture and too much time sitting down) he finds it hard to free it up completely in one go and usually takes a couple of sessions.

I do find it hard to keep my head down on the stock of a standard gun,i have a adjustable comb at max height and this helps and an adjustable but pad at maximum drop together it is reasonably comfortable but i would go higher with the comb if i could.

Try a really good chiropractitioner, not sure much can be done for arthritis though but have had some longstanding neck and back issues sorted, felt better after first session but took 2 sessions a week for 8 weeks
I too would recommend a chiropractor, not just for the arthritis but for every ache, pain and twinge.  Just always works for me and Phil but maybe not for everyone.  I have a recoil reducer, the  Kickeez pad and shoot 28 g RC2 with no problems.  I must admit Ive tried a few 21g fibres and found them punchier than the plastics but I would just buy a box of each and have a try to see what works for you. 

I do yoga weekly and we always work on our neck, the cracking when we start is unbelievable but by the time we've finished that particular excercise it's much easier and tension free, might be worth looking up some excercises on the web to do at home, it may help and is worth a go. I have the start of arthritis in my right hand due to work I think and I've started taking cod liver oil, I like to think it's working but could be my imagination! Good luck

Thanks folks,

The cracking in my neck doesn't go away with the oesteopath or any stretching or movement (not sure on the difference between an oesteopath and chiropractor) when I rotate my head from right to left clockwise, my head reaches a solid stop half way, if I push my head past it that when it cracks, but it never subsides. I'm lucky it's in its infancy at the minute, but i'm at the stage where I need to look at protecting myself long term, rather than making it worse with abuse that can be avoided. Don't want to end up in a position where I can't shoot at all in the future.

I had a couple level neck fusion two years ago, and have some crepitations now.  I have found heat, advil in moderation BEFORE shooting, and a neck/back massage every few weeks helps quite a lot.  And I have had to change my stance just a bit to account for targets coming from my left.  Good luck!

This may help, l have been diagnosed with early onset of arthritis in my knees, bit creaky and clicky, tried some natural remedies but the best by far was turmeric tablets, for me amazing results my knees are 100% better, they may help your neck, you never know. Hope it helps.

Turmeric didn't work for me but I wish you luck with it.

What does work is Naproxen, prescription slow release anti inflammatories, I have been taking them for Arthritic knees for about ten years and they have improved my lifestyle enormously. There are newer alternatives, Celebrex or Mobic, which might have fewer potential side effects.

I will not bore you with the medical details, but I find 24 gram cartridges through my 725 with Browning's own 'squidgy' pad very manageable and I occasionally switch to my Beretta 303 auto and the same 24 gram cartridges, when things get bad,  (usually in colder weather),  works for me.  I also have a play with my game gun a 20 bore and again 24 grams, that has no recoil pad at all. You just have to keep going. I also practice some gun mounting twice a week coupled with holding the gun at arms length, in front, in both hands then raising and lowering it around 10 times.  

Hi all,

Regards Martin
I can relate  to your situation   completely  ,   im older and my neck pain  at times sickening ,  I have  tried many solutions  like you !     I find a good fitting gun  , with eley superbs  28g   and two nurofen  before shooting   helps massively   ,   general fitness  and hydration ,   good posture   and  a pillow  that supports  well  .       im not plugging nurofen  but they do patches now    I tried one last week   stuck on my neck below my shirt collar  of course    ,     24 hour pain relief   !!!

I can relate  to your situation   completely  ,   im older and my neck pain  at times sickening ,  I have  tried many solutions  like you !     I find a good fitting gun  , with eley superbs  28g   and two nurofen  before shooting   helps massively   ,   general fitness  and hydration ,   good posture   and  a pillow  that supports  well  .       im not plugging nurofen  but they do patches now    I tried one last week   stuck on my neck below my shirt collar  of course    ,     24 hour pain relief   !!!
Talking of pillows mine has been a lot better since i have gone from 2 to 1,more of a natural angle?

Picked up some 24 gram eley select plas wad today, going to give them a run out at the Jack Pyke this week and see how they do, give them a good test on the high tower challenge as well.

My job doesn't help my neck a lot either, we do groundworks, so I can doing anything from manual labour, plant operating, driving over 20,000 miles a year or sat a desk, all of which are bad for these sorts of complaints.  2 ibuprofen first thing with a vitamin D and a hayfever tablet seems to be going a fair way at the minute.

Sorry to hear it bud. Keep at it - dont let it get the better of you. The moment you give up doing the things you enjoy and that keep you independent the slope becomes a cliff.

16 years ago (at 16 years of age) I started having issues in my knees, then my back, and my hands, and feet -well my body! . - after years of battling with GP's I was diagnosed with a type of arthritis (that escapes my memory) which was later changed to psoriatic arthritis, after years of multiple medications and injections, now I just have the injection and one medication.. and I am by far better than I used to be. My hands, feet, knees have all got 'better', but my back still gives me grief daily - My Dr told to pack the bike in - I told him I will when I go to my grave...

A few weeks ago (after I started shooting around May) - I had a 'todo' on my motorcycle (no brakes - and then all of a sudden while testing and riding)  the front wheel locked up, I managed to stay upright), which caused a lot of pain in my leg (which is subsiding now), but at the same time I have started having pains in my elbows - I wondered if this was 'shock' from the handlebars or to do with the shotgun shooting. Im going to have a rest from shooting for a couple of weeks to see whether it helps (not that im giving up shooting if it is!!!)

I am currently shooting Hull Superfasts.

Hope you heal fast buddy.
So I said id give it a rest from shooting which I kind of slightly did, I had 10 days driving round the highlands - so not really resting.

But my elbows are still hurting...

How's the neck coming on Jonny English? Found anything that works?

Latest posts

Back