Is anything better than an afternoon shooting ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartynB

Well in this case yes it is . I’m at home as we’ve got some work going on in the house . Earlier today we had a small helicopter buzzing around our little valley outside Halifax . 

At 2.15 we heard engines again and said “that sounds close - is it the helicopter ? “ 

right over head , at low level ...... a LANCASTER BOMBER !

I’d already got my Binos handy from the helicopter , so was able to see this fantastic machine  in detail as it headed out toward towards the general direction of Haworth .

I’ve had a quick google and found out it did a fly past In Sheffield at around 1:30 , but what it was doing up here I don’t know . An absolute surprise, but I’d rather have seen that than have been doing anything else 👍

Probably been spoilt where I live near Farnborough airport as we used to religiously get the Battle of Britain flypast going over at least once a year. Glorious sight, shame Health & safety has killed off the public side of the airshow, but at least we get the rest of the planes noodling about creating a racket. (Was trying to fix my car a few years ago with ear defenders on, shouting "F*CK OFF"!!!!!!!" at the pilots every 15 minutes cos they were getting right on my t*ts while I was trying to concentrate. 😂)

My grandpa was a mid gunner in the Lancasters during the war. 

During his later years he was a member of the charity that was getting one of the last lancs flying again. 

He died in 2007 and when we came out of the church in Westfield, just outside Hastings, the Lancaster flew over us, so low you could see every detail. 

A lovely moment, until my dad said "that cost me a bloody fortune" 

We looked it up and it was on its way back from an air show in northern France. 

On one occasion whilst I was at a sporting targets, we had an amazing fly by - Im afraid I cant tell you what they were, but was great to see!

Probably been spoilt where I live near Farnborough airport as we used to religiously get the Battle of Britain flypast going over at least once a year. Glorious sight, shame Health & safety has killed off the public side of the airshow, but at least we get the rest of the planes noodling about creating a racket. (Was trying to fix my car a few years ago with ear defenders on, shouting "F*CK OFF"!!!!!!!" at the pilots every 15 minutes cos they were getting right on my t*ts while I was trying to concentrate. 😂)
I have lived near and worked at the RAE Farnborough and seen it all from the Vulcan Bombers in the 50's, Lightnings, Buccaneers, the first Concorde, I have never got fed up with it, I still take the time to watch what I can see from my garden when it's on.

It's a good job the 'Four Merlins' were not performing then, them bloomin great speakers don't alf thump it out  !    😲

Latest posts

Back