New gun day :)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocky

Well today I finally got around to buying my first o/u and seriously injured my debit card with a Beretta 690 black edition. The used one I was chasing had been sold so it was off to my favourite gun shop to buy a new one and after a bit of haggling it (and a fair bit of chucked-in gear) was mine. Yay! 

We took the stunt pegs off it in the shop and fitted 1/4 & 1/4 flush chokes, after a quick strip, clean & lube it was off to the clay ground to give it a go.

Straight away it felt ‘normal’ but this may be due to my amazing ability to not be able to tell the difference between any o/u shotguns - I either adapt really quickly or have ignorant arms I dunno but I killed a pair that I couldn’t before so I’m happy. After 3 boxes of 21g Comp X plastic the barrels are now filthy which surprised me because I shot 28g Comp X fibre last week in a different gun and the barrel was still clean afterwards 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Anyway I’m very happy with my new Beretta and I have to say I was only able to walk into a gun shop and make an informed decision at all due to all the info help & advice on this forum, so thank you. 👍🏻 

Well done, I hope that you enjoy it.

On the cleaning note, I decided to give my 20 bore an outing last weekend. I only did a 50 birder and used a mixture of makes and shot sizes (using up some old stock). When I came to clean the gun, I found the same as you, the bores were filthy. A squirt of GT 85 down each barrel and a coffee later, I stuck some rolled up bog roll down each tube and pushed it through, spotless  !  I then just cleaned the gun in the usual way. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done, I hope that you enjoy it.

On the cleaning note, I decided to give my 20 bore an outing last weekend. I only did a 50 birder and used a mixture of makes and shot sizes (using up some old stock). When I came to clean the gun, I found the same as you, the bores were filthy. A squirt of GT 85 down each barrel and a coffee later, I stuck some rolled up bog roll down each tube and pushed it through, spotless  !  I then just cleaned the gun in the usual way. 
Thanks for that, is GT 85 what I need to buy then? When I got home I brushed it best I could with the wire then the mop but in my haste to get out of the shop I forgot to ask about cleaning fluid so until the shops open tomorrow it’s dry cleaning only. 

Buy yourself a magicbore brush to clean the inside of your barrels, best cleaning product I have ever bought. 

Thanks for that, is GT 85 what I need to buy then? When I got home I brushed it best I could with the wire then the mop but in my haste to get out of the shop I forgot to ask about cleaning fluid so until the shops open tomorrow it’s dry cleaning only. 
Loads of options out there to chuck down your barrels, listen to the advice and make your choice: I was recommended Browning Legia spray when I bought my gun and that works fine for me.

At £1.99 in Aldi (in the cycling section) for a large spray can, I use it all of the time. I spray the piston, barrel and magazine tube on my auto, prior to cleaning too.  I have used it now for a few years and NEVER had a problem, but do NOT confuse it as a lubricant substitute. Get the red Lucas gun oil and a tub of their red tacky grease off the Bay, they will last you for years. Any queries, PM me.

I push a sheet of the kitchen roll paper down mine first,gets 90% out, then cheap spray, more kitchen roll and that usually has it spotless, if not then the bronze brush, followed by a lightly oiled mop , then it goes in the cabinet upside down.

I push a sheet of the kitchen roll paper down mine first,gets 90% out, then cheap spray, more kitchen roll and that usually has it spotless, if not then the bronze brush, followed by a lightly oiled mop , then it goes in the cabinet upside down.

+1 for upside down . 
Is the upside down thing about oil running back into the stock? If so I’ve seen this on here before and it made me wonder how much oil people put on their guns, I was under the impression gun lubrication was a very minimal affair?

To be fair , as most modern guns have chrome bores , minimal lube is needed In the bores . It might be an old wives tale but I’ve stuck to it for 40 years. 

One of the main reasons apart from habit that  I store my current guns barrels down is I have kickeeze pads on them , and I’m happier storing those without weight bearing down on them . Especially the Krieghoff which might get an outing once a year if my lad can be bothered to come shooting .  

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair , as most modern guns have chrome bores , minimal lube is needed In the bores . It might be an old wives tale but I’ve stuck to it for 40 years. 

One of the main reasons apart from habit that  I store my current guns barrels down is I have kickeeze pads on them , and I’m happier storing those without weight bearing down on them . Especially the Krieghoff which might get an outing once a year if my lad can be bothered to come shooting .  
Exactly what he said except the Krieghoff bit! :hunter:

Just habit from having old ,and I mean hammer etc, guns in years gone by if you didnt stick an oily (light) mop through they would be light rust next time,I would be out in all weathers getting a rabbit for the table, and now of course my 30 year old miroku..same as ,wouldnt want the bores rust/pitting, it might be an old un but its mine and I like to keep it as it should be, obviously a lot newer guns are chrome lined bores....but be aware I know a guy with a nice kreighoff never cleans it...and yes now he has just found a light pit mark,  so nothing is indestructable

Just habit from having old ,and I mean hammer etc, guns in years gone by if you didnt stick an oily (light) mop through they would be light rust next time,I would be out in all weathers getting a rabbit for the table, and now of course my 30 year old miroku..same as ,wouldnt want the bores rust/pitting, it might be an old un but its mine and I like to keep it as it should be, obviously a lot newer guns are chrome lined bores....but be aware I know a guy with a nice kreighoff never cleans it...and yes now he has just found a light pit mark,  so nothing is indestructable
I’ve bathed regularly for over 50yrs and still have signs of pitting 😐 

Latest posts

Back