SGC - Change of address (BASC vs Police view)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antse7en

Hey guys,

Have any of recently changed your SGC/EFP address under the Surrey/Sussex joint firearms unit? 

I've recently purchased a house and submitted the change of address as per the guidelines - that was the easy part. 

According to BASC (Here's a link to their guidance https://basc.org.uk/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=47) you should not return your SGC to the police until you have received your new one and the police have no legal right to request that you do. 

However, the police are requesting that I "surrender" my SGC for a change of address and reprinting despite having drawn attention to the BASC guidance.

Here's my concern: 

• Travelling with a shotgun, without SGC (should I be stopped, without proof of legal entitlement)
  • Attending shoots, entering gun clubs without SGC (assumption here is that you just shouldn't until the new cert comes through)
  • Purchasing ammunition without SGC (as above)
I've asked the police for their guidance on the above scenarios, however the email response was simply "we look forward to receiving your certificate for reprinting". Very helpful!

Any input??

I can return it and wait however long for them to issue a new one (prefer not to, and don't see why I should) or I stick to my guns (excuse the pun) and continue on knowing I am not legally required to return it and the address aspect is irrelevant (again as per the BASC view).

Cheers all.

I would buy a 1000 cartridges and photocopy it. I would think change of address is a quick turn around. It's not BASC dealing with your firearms people it's you.

Straight off the Sussex police website.

Change of address

If you move address you must inform the Firearm Licensing Office by email or letter (contact details above) detailing the old address, new address, including any new contact numbers and confirming where your firearms/shotguns will be stored.

We will require your old certificate before an updated one can be printed but this can be kept until the Firearms Enquiry Officer visits and conducts a security check.

For any change of address out of our force area your file will be transferred to the relevant licensing office.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I’ve read that - they key point in there being the fact you can keep it until the FEO visit.

I asked them about visiting to inspect the cabinet given it’s in a new property, and offered to exchange the certificate then - the chap said “don’t worry we won’t visit we trust you”.

Thanks anyway.

I now  live in Sussex and moved from Kent last year.

I followed the above process, I had a security visit and they took my certificate. I received the new  certificate 1 week later. 

I had previously bought a stockpile of cartridges.....just in case.

The process worked very well for me.

I now  live in Sussex and moved from Kent last year.

I followed the above process, I had a security visit and they took my certificate. I received the new  certificate 1 week later. 

I had previously bought a stockpile of cartridges.....just in case.

The process worked very well for me.
One week isn’t so bad. 

What would you have done/said (or perhaps more pertinently what were you advised to do) in the event of being stopped by the police? 

I carried a copy of the certificate and a copy of my address change notification form. And it is registered on the PNC so I was legally holding a certificate. 

I was not  concerned.  Only possible worry was running out of carts but I had bought a 3 month supply just in case

My pal moved house earlier this year, a simple change pf address.........................................7 weeks to get his shotgun cert and fac back. He made photocopies of his licenses and as we shoot together it was simple for me to ensure he had ammo but 7 weeks is a joke.

Phil

Your Firearms Officer will tell you that there will be no problems from the police if you have submitted your SGC for an update at their request, the only problem would be that you cannot purchase ammo but you can stock up beforehand or get a mate with a SGC to buy your ammo for you. Obviously take a photo copy before submission.

I think you're reading too much into this. The gun laws, like many other laws, are passed in parliament by the generally fairly useless bunch of people we elect as our MPs and are thus pretty vague in several ways and open to interpretation. My advice is to always co-operate with the police about anything to do with your SGC and home security even if they have interpreted the law or guidelines incorrectly. Antagonising the firearms team is not a good idea!

Your only problem is buying ammo and your choices there are to buy ahead or take someone with you to the shop.

What all the above have said, buy ammo, copy certificate and do ehat feo has asked. It really is no problems, 

Hey guys,

Have any of recently changed your SGC/EFP address under the Surrey/Sussex joint firearms unit? 

I've recently purchased a house and submitted the change of address as per the guidelines - that was the easy part. 

According to BASC (Here's a link to their guidance https://basc.org.uk/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=47) you should not return your SGC to the police until you have received your new one and the police have no legal right to request that you do. 

However, the police are requesting that I "surrender" my SGC for a change of address and reprinting despite having drawn attention to the BASC guidance.

Here's my concern: 

• Travelling with a shotgun, without SGC (should I be stopped, without proof of legal entitlement)
  • Attending shoots, entering gun clubs without SGC (assumption here is that you just shouldn't until the new cert comes through)
  • Purchasing ammunition without SGC (as above)
I've asked the police for their guidance on the above scenarios, however the email response was simply "we look forward to receiving your certificate for reprinting". Very helpful!

Any input??

I can return it and wait however long for them to issue a new one (prefer not to, and don't see why I should) or I stick to my guns (excuse the pun) and continue on knowing I am not legally required to return it and the address aspect is irrelevant (again as per the BASC view).

Cheers all.
In answer to your concerns:

1. Don't worry about not having your certificate, there's 24/7 access to the NFLMS if required.

2. Do what you like, there's no requirement to produce a certificate to enter a competition  or shoot anywhere (at least there isn't for trap events).

3. Just buy in bulk or take someone with you if you’re concerned. Personally speaking, it's years since I last produced a certificate to buy cartridges anyway.

The problem is licensing guidance is just that, guidance to be interpreted as the police force sees fit. Some ask for certificates prior to renewal, other specifically remind you not to send it. Just do as they ask, it shouldn't take long.

Good point, there aren't many shoots that ask to see your SGC at all, even when buying ammo for use on the day.

when I moved here from Northumberland I asked Lancashire  to come and approve the position and fitting of my cabinet, FAO came and took my certificate away with him, new updated certificate dropped on the mat  in less than a week

Wouldn't be worried about getting stopped by the police when you have your gun in the car they will know before they stop you that you are an SGC holder.

pretty sure to photocopy a cert is illegal 

for sure will not be accepted at a RFD

pretty sure to photocopy a cert is illegal 

for sure will not be accepted at a RFD
Certainly not illegal providing there’s no intent to deceive. I’d imagine some RFD’s would accept it in lieu of the genuine item. If they know you they’re not likely to ask for a certificate for cartridge sales anyway.

Latest posts

Back